how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cawang

join:2004-10-14
New York, NY

DCT-2000

It's funny that I got a really old DCT-2000 box for my newly installed digital service. I had a much-smaller DCT-700 for the past two years. I reconnected the service after my summer break and surprisingly I got DCT-2000.

My question is simple, is it worse than DCT-700?

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3

Yes.

Pro's of the DCT-2000
1. Front clock display
2. You can at least hear audio on the HD Channels (DCT-700 mutes the video AND audio)
3. Component size matches home theater gear in a rack.
4. Some models have Digital audio and S-Video outputs for better quality.
5. Some models have an IR Blaster port for direct Tivo/VCR control.

Cons of the DCT-2000
1. It has a slower Processor. You will notice a difference in speed when navigating the on screen guide on a DCT-2000 and a DCT-700
2. It cannot scale video in the guide, so on the full screen guide you won't see whatever channel you are watching in the upper right corner.

Pro's of the DCT-700
1. Much faster, scaled video compatible
2. Smaller box for tight spaces (great for bedrooms and offices)
3. Less power consumption, therefore less heat emitted.
4. All digital tuner guarantees 100% Digital Simulcast

Con's of the DCT-700
1. No front display or buttons. (DONT LOOSE THE REMOTE!!)
2. No S-Video or Dolby Digital outputs
3. Narrow IR sensor range. Some are worse than others and you really have to point the remote directly at the thing.

Still knowing all of those things, I would take a DCT-700 over a DCT-2000 anyday.

Comcast (or any provider for that matter) can reuse any old box which was previously attached to an account as long as the unit still works correctly. It's all dependent on what is available in the local area.

cawang

New York, NY

Is it possible to change it at a local center? If so, I assume that I only have to take a new one home and connect the cable and it will work automatically. Is it correct? Thanks.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3

Sure you can do that. I've done it before in the past. When you hook up the new box you call 1-800-COMCAST and follow the phone prompts to get a signal sent to the box. The signal that is sent to your box will program it with the channel packages you are subscribed to. It works in a matter of minutes.

patspub

join:2005-02-10
Philadelphia, PA
reply to cawang

I have one DCT 2000 w/S-VIDEO and the only reason I keep it is because I use the "Serial Port" to change channels for my "TIVO" plus I do like the front display.

patspub

join:2005-02-10
Philadelphia, PA
reply to cawang

"cawang" I noticed that you are in New York. I didn't know comcast serviced the New York area. What is your zip code???

sansri88
digital is here
Premium
join:2005-12-17
New York, NY
kudos:1

Yeah I noticed that Comcast doesn't serve NYC according to the Comcast Spotlight page:
»ny.comcastspotlight.com/sites/De···subNav=2

cawang

New York, NY

Sorry, I didn't update it. I moved to Jersey (I used RCN when I was in NYC).

sansri88
digital is here
Premium
join:2005-12-17
New York, NY
kudos:1

Now back to the DCT-2000, I never had the pleasure of using one, only had the DCT-6200 and the DCT-700, that's all.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to cawang

i had the dct2000 for about three years. in fact i would rather have it back and give up this dct700. to me the dct2000 was a better box. try to do multiple commands on this dct700 at any half or full hour and the dam thing is really slow to change. i never had that issue with the dct2000.