uniqs

halo989
join:2005-01-15

1 edit

halo989

Lennox Air Conditioner

Hi,
I have a lennox air conditioner. The model number is either
HS14-511U-5P or HS14-511V-5P and the serial number is 5188G11058 I am having a hard time finding out how many tons the air conditioner is. I'm not talking about weight, I'm talking about cooling power. I googled the model number and nothing came up. I believe it was manufactured in 7/88, so I had a hard time finding it on the lennox site.

If you have any idea how many tons it is, please reply. We are hoping that it is at least 4 tons, hopefully 5.

HRM
God Bless America
MVM
join:2002-02-03
Darien, CT

HRM

MVM

Have you called them

Still Need Answers?
If you're unable to find the information you need, call our support professionals for assistance:

972-497-5799
Monday – Friday, 8 am – 5 pm CST

Greg_Z
Premium Member
join:2001-08-08
Springfield, IL

1 recommendation

Greg_Z to halo989

Premium Member

to halo989
Two seconds on Lennox.com, and look I found the manual »www.lennox.com/pdfs/inst ··· -IOM.pdf BTW, it is easier to just use the first four characters of the Model (HS14), then the other numbers. BTW, it is a Heat Pump, not a AC unit. Also, there is »www.cozyparts.com/Lennox ··· ault.asp And found another that may help: »www.hvacpartsshop.com/in ··· tom&ID=8

From what I have found out, your unit is capable of 51,100BTU, which is a 4ton unit. »hvacpartsshop.net/Lennox ··· ture.pdf

halo989
join:2005-01-15

halo989

Ok thanks for the help.
That nomenclature site explains it all. Greg_Z I also think it is aprox 4 tons but I'll call just to double check. Also, I'm not sure if it is visible in the picture, but the coil around the outside of the unit has been dented and smushed in places (debris was dropped on it). Will this effect its cooling capabilities?

rds24a
Teach Your Children
Premium Member
join:2000-12-13
Newton Upper Falls, MA

1 edit

rds24a

Premium Member

If you break a tube it'll leak refrigerant and won't cool at all.

SandShark5
Long may you run
Premium Member
join:2000-05-23
Santa Fe, TX

SandShark5 to halo989

Premium Member

to halo989
It's a 4-ton and it is not a heat pump. If it was a heat pump it would be HP, not HS. On top of that, it's a two-speed, meaning it runs at 4-ton capacity on high speed and 2-1/2 ton capacity on low speed. It should have a two-stage thermostat, unless someone has wired it to run on high speed only.

Greg_Z
Premium Member
Springfield, IL

Greg_Z

Premium Member

Lennox is classifying it as a Heat Pump, when you look at the documentation on their site.

SandShark5
Long may you run
Premium Member
Santa Fe, TX

SandShark5

Premium Member

said by Greg_Z:

Lennox is classifying it as a Heat Pump, when you look at the documentation on their site.
I scanned over the first link in your post. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't find anything that said heat pump. If it's there, it's a mistake. We've been a Lennox dealer since 1993 and I can say, without a doubt, that it is not a heat pump. It's a two-speed straight air conditioning.

Greg_Z
Premium Member
Springfield, IL

1 edit

1 recommendation

Greg_Z

Premium Member

That is what I was thinking also, due to HP is their usual classification.
»www.lennox.com/owners/ar ··· docs.asp
Heat Pumps
10 HPB Installation and Operation Instructions Manual
12 HPB Installation and Operation Instructions Manual
HP14 Installation and Operation Instructions Manual
HP16 Installation and Operation Instructions Manual
HP18 Installation and Operation Instructions Manual
HP19 Installation and Operation Instructions Manual
HP20 Installation and Operation Instructions Manual
HP22 Installation and Operation Instructions Manual
HP23 Installation and Operation Instructions Manual
HP24 Installation and Operation Instructions Manual
HPXA19 Installation and Operation Instructions Manual
HS14 Installation and Operation Instructions Manual
HS18 Installation and Operation Instructions Manual
HS19 Installation and Operation Instructions Manual
HS20 Installation and Operation Instructions Manual

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

cdru to halo989

MVM

to halo989
said by halo989:

Also, I'm not sure if it is visible in the picture, but the coil around the outside of the unit has been dented and smushed in places (debris was dropped on it). Will this effect its cooling capabilities?
If the fins are bent it will affect the air flow. You can purchase a specialty comb that you can use to straight out bent fins. Or you can use a small screwdriver if it's a small area and do it by hand.

SandShark5
Long may you run
Premium Member
Santa Fe, TX

SandShark5 to Greg_Z

Premium Member

to Greg_Z
Oh, okay. I didn't see that page. Obviously, whoever did that made an error. It's understandable. I've worked with this stuff for years and I'm still confused.

Greg_Z
Premium Member
Springfield, IL

Greg_Z

Premium Member

What do you expect. It is a Manufacturing company. I am wondering that they are classifying that particular unit as a Heat Pump, is due to the Heating circuit hook-ups on the internal board.

SandShark5
Long may you run
Premium Member
Santa Fe, TX

SandShark5

Premium Member

said by Greg_Z:

What do you expect. It is a Manufacturing company. I am wondering that they are classifying that particular unit as a Heat Pump, is due to the Heating circuit hook-ups on the internal board.
Could be, but there are no heating circuit hookups on the internal board in these units like there are in a heat pump. There is only C, Y1, and Y2 (common, 1st stage cooling, and second stage cooling). Whoever did their website made a mistake categorizing their archived units, that's all.