digital is here
Premium Member
join:2005-12-17
New York, NY

sansri88

Premium Member

New Channels Coming Soon to Northern NJ

In a response to an email I sent to Comcast, this was in the second paragraph:
...we are looking forward to providing our Northern New Jersey customers with several more HD channels by year end (some of which you mentioned) and numerous others in 2008.

In addition to HD, 10 new standard digital channels including Bloomberg, Fox Reality, TVG and others have been added in 2007 with more on the way later this year.

I did mention NGCHD, AEHD, FOODHD, and HGTVHD in my email, so I guess the person is referring to those. At least this is good news for us here, if you want the person's email PM me and I'll give it to you.

CRP2
Comcast of Ocean County
join:2005-12-26
Brick, NJ

2 edits

CRP2

Hmm... What were the 10 new SD digital networks added in 2007? All I can think of is the following:

* TV G Interactive Horse Racing (ch.260)
* Bloomberg Television (ch.106)
* ESPN Deportes (ch.604)
* WFME (ch.247)

For HD:

* WWOR HD (ch.236)
* YES Network HD (ch.212)
* PPV HD (ch.214/504)
* Versus/Golf HD (ch.207)

Oh and Fox Reality was actually added in 2006, so I don't know why Comcast is including that in their channel count.

Am I missing something here? What are the other 6 SD digital channels?

Travelfan1
RIP Analog Go Digital
join:2005-08-23
Woodbridge, NJ

Travelfan1

This is an interesting change of pace in Comcast replies in our area. Previously, I do recall getting replies from Comcast where they would talk about contract negotiations, etc.

Let's see how it goes. From a bandwidth perspective, though, I do not have hopes of getting new channels in at least 1 month or so, as I think Comcast of NJ II needs to move analog channels to digital-only packages prior to us being able to get new channels anytime soon, and Comcast must post an ad in the NJ newspapers before any channel migrations from one package to another.

From a personal perspective, as I mentioned elsewhere, Discovery HD channel(the HD-simulcast of the existing Discovery SD one) is the channel that I am looking forward to getting it and, if not provided by Comcast by fall, will probably cause me to switch to E*. And, depending on how far the NY baseball teams go, I am expecting TBS-HD in time for the baseball playoffs.

Also sansri, did u ask about HDNets?

sansri88
digital is here
Premium Member
New York, NY

sansri88

Premium Member

No I did not ask about HDNet, but I will in a follow up email, or in a phone call as the person did say I could arrange for a direct conversation with her when I am free.

CRP2
Comcast of Ocean County
Brick, NJ

CRP2 to Travelfan1

to Travelfan1
Travelfan-

Is Comcast the only cable company in NJ, mandated by the Board of Public Utilities, to place advanced notice in newspapers for channel additions/deletions/movements etc.? The reason I ask, is because I don't think I've ever seen advanced notice by other cable providers in the state, namely Cablevision.

Seems pretty unfair if only one provider has to play by the rules.

sansri88
digital is here
Premium Member
New York, NY

sansri88 to CRP2

Premium Member

to CRP2
Was Current TV in 2007 or 2006? That is one more channel then.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to CRP2

MVM

to CRP2
said by CRP2:

Hmm... What were the 10 new SD digital networks added in 2007? All I can think of is the following:

* TV G Interactive Horse Racing (ch.260)
* Bloomberg Television (ch.106)
* ESPN Deportes (ch.604)
* WFME (ch.247)

For HD:

* WWOR HD (ch.236)
* YES Network HD (ch.212)
* PPV HD (ch.214/504)
* Versus/Golf HD (ch.207)

Oh and Fox Reality was actually added in 2006, so I don't know why Comcast is including that in their channel count.

Am I missing something here? What are the other 6 SD digital channels?
In our area we could use your list plus Boomerang (ch 125), Fuse (ch 148), We (ch 118), Tennis and Fuel.

Then for HD, I would love to see NGHD, Food, HGTV, A&E HD.

CRP2
Comcast of Ocean County
Brick, NJ

CRP2 to sansri88

to sansri88
said by sansri88:

Was Current TV in 2007 or 2006? That is one more channel then.
May 2006.

Travelfan1
RIP Analog Go Digital
Woodbridge, NJ

1 edit

Travelfan1 to CRP2

to CRP2
jtf, I do not know why I've never seen Cablevision ads, either. Who knows, maybe there's an option to send a postcard with the bill and/or posting the ad in the newspapers, and maybe CV chose the former whereas Comcast chose the latter.

Edit: Refer to pages 37-38 in the following document, posted in the NJ BPU Web site:

»www.state.nj.us/bpu/wwwr ··· 0412.pdf

CRP2
Comcast of Ocean County
Brick, NJ

CRP2 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
Cypher-

I would also like to see Comcast add IFC and Fox Movie Channel. Also an international news source like CNN International or BBC World would be a welcome addition to me. But really, I'm looking more towards new HD additions, since I'm in love with the product and hope it continues to thrive and succeed.

Travelfan-

It just seems like a waste of time, to always have to put an ad in local newspapers in the state, when they could either just put the information in the bill or utilize the message function on the STB's. I also, think I've read reports of Cablevision customers getting advance notice either in their bill or on their local guide channel (they don't have TV Guide Network).

sansri88
digital is here
Premium Member
New York, NY

sansri88

Premium Member

Just a general question: Why do we care about Cablevision and how they send channel changes when this is a Comcast thread? Just wondering....

Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium Member
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ

Steely to sansri88

Premium Member

to sansri88
I suppose nothing was mentioned about Central NJ? We do not presently receive NGCHD, AEHD, FOODHD or HGTVHD, nor have we gotten word that any of those channels are coming. FiOS, on the other hand, IS coming!

sansri88
digital is here
Premium Member
New York, NY

sansri88

Premium Member

Nope sorry nothing, this email was concerning the Comcast of New Jersey II system, Union/Verona (aka northern Middlesex county and northwards)

CRP2
Comcast of Ocean County
Brick, NJ

CRP2 to sansri88

to sansri88
said by sansri88:

Just a general question: Why do we care about Cablevision and how they send channel changes when this is a Comcast thread? Just wondering....
I was just curious as to if the advanced notice requirement was any different among the providers. Oh and Travelfan, what am I exactly suppose to get out of that PDF?

Steely
Premium Member
Princeton Junction, NJ

Steely to sansri88

Premium Member

to sansri88
said by sansri88:

I think sansri88 See Profile is making the point that Cablevision goes about legally notifying ITS New Jersey customers of new channel additions in a more effective way than Comcast. What's wrong with pointing that out?
Steely

Steely to sansri88

Premium Member

to sansri88
said by sansri88:

...aka northern Middlesex county and northwards
Right. Comcast of Central NJ covers southern Middlesex County and northern Mercer County. More often than not it follows suit with the more northern NJ Comcast areas but not always. For example, we STILL don't have ESPN Classic!

sansri88
digital is here
Premium Member
New York, NY

sansri88

Premium Member

Huh? We used to have it on analog until they moved it to the Sports pack.

Steely
Premium Member
Princeton Junction, NJ

Steely

Premium Member

said by sansri88:

I mean we don't have it PERIOD!

CRP2
Comcast of Ocean County
Brick, NJ

CRP2 to sansri88

to sansri88
said by sansri88:

You don't need the Sports Entertainment pack, in order to get ESPN Classic. Its available with Digital Classic in areas that have the channel.

sansri88
digital is here
Premium Member
New York, NY

2 edits

sansri88

Premium Member

Really? Let me check it right now...

Edit: Yep, you're right. It's channel 265, but its mixed with the Sports pack channels. I really never watch it, so I haven't tuned into it for a loooooong time
TopDog8
join:2007-02-02
Brandon, MS

TopDog8

wow, a whole thread void of the obligatory "Still nothing new here in Philly" post.

sansri88
digital is here
Premium Member
New York, NY

sansri88

Premium Member

said by TopDog8:

wow, a whole thread void of the obligatory "Still nothing new here in Philly" post.
LOL yeah this has nothing to do with Philly. Only northern NJ.

Steely
Premium Member
Princeton Junction, NJ

Steely

Premium Member

said by sansri88:

said by TopDog8:

LOL yeah this has nothing to do with Philly. Only northern NJ.
But can we at least make it about Central NJ too so I can continue to bitch and moan? Pretty please???

sansri88
digital is here
Premium Member
New York, NY

sansri88

Premium Member

ZOMG it's the attack of the smiley's!!

Anyway, sure what the heck why not include central NJ, since your system seems just as bad as mine...

Steely
Premium Member
Princeton Junction, NJ

Steely

Premium Member

Thank you! (insert smiley here)

sansri88
digital is here
Premium Member
New York, NY

1 edit

sansri88

Premium Member

Well I emailed her back about BBC World and CNN International, she said that she was going to find out more information about those channels, and email me back within the next few days as she finds out more about them. Didn't ask about HDNet as I sent that email before travelfan brought it to my attention. Will email now to see what's up.
With regard to BBC World and CNN International, I am currently researching to see if there is any information that we can share with regard to either of these channels. I will get back to you in the coming days as I learn more.

Travelfan1
RIP Analog Go Digital
Woodbridge, NJ

1 edit

Travelfan1 to CRP2

to CRP2
I've got a better source of the info, with the entire version of the law:

§ 14:18-3.17 Notice of alteration in channel allocation
(a) Each cable television company shall file with the Office written notice of an alteration in channel allocation, on a form prescribed by the Director, prior to the effective date for new additions which do not require rate changes, deletions or cutbacks in other services. For all other changes the cable television operator must provide notice at least 30 days prior to the effective date.

(b) Each cable television company shall notify its customers and affected municipalities of an alteration in channel allocation prior to the effective date for new additions which do not require rate changes, deletions or cutbacks in other services. For all other changes, the cable television operator shall provide notice to the Office at least 30 days prior to the effective date and 30 days prior to the effective date to the customers in a manner reasonably calculated to provide such information.

(c) The Office may relax the time for providing notification upon a showing by the cable television operator that the cable television operator has acted to provide the required notice at the earliest possible date and:

1. The cable television operator reasonably believes that timely compliance with this subsection might subject the cable television operator to penalties under State, Federal, or local law;

2. Timely compliance with this subsection is impossible due to the unforeseeable actions of third parties beyond the cable television operator's control;

3. The programming service has been discontinued or withdrawn by the provider in such a manner as to leave the cable television operator without sufficient time to comply; or

4. A substantial benefit to customers would be irretrievably lost.

That's the source - it requires registration, though, but only very basic info:

»www.lexisnexis.com/njoal/

Now, I could not find anywhere requiring posting ads in the newspapers, but that, IMHO, is kinda killing various birds with a single stone: Alerting all customers and the municipalities of the changes, whereas, who knows, maybe Cablevision sends postcards to ALL of its customers AND put calls to the municipalities.

sansri88
digital is here
Premium Member
New York, NY

sansri88

Premium Member

Email sent about HDNet, she said she would look into it as well at the same time as BBC World and CNNi.

CRP2
Comcast of Ocean County
Brick, NJ

CRP2

Can you send me the email address for this woman at Comcast? I want to email her, about the lack of a fulltime channel for Sportsnet NY HD and some other things.

sansri88
digital is here
Premium Member
New York, NY

sansri88

Premium Member

Sent in a PM.