spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Ancalagon
join:2007-06-16
Sarasota, FL

Ancalagon

Interesting idea

If it works, great...but I can't imagine there wouldn't be significant signal degradation from daisy-chaining a bunch of wireless routers/repeaters.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6

Premium Member

said by Ancalagon:

If it works, great...but I can't imagine there wouldn't be significant signal degradation from daisy-chaining a bunch of wireless routers/repeaters.
Actually, the term you are looking for is "throughput" rather than "signal" degradation.

But yes, that is true. This effect is well-known with mesh systems, especially those that use a single frequency.
KSC5190
join:2002-03-14
Chicago, IL

KSC5190 to Ancalagon

to Ancalagon
The meraki units work extremely well for their intended use: Cheap, straightforward internet access. They aren't designed to replace private wifi networks, in this arena they rate rather poorly. I purchased a few of these a couple of months ago and I've had very few issues. Limit the hops to 3-4 between gateways and you're sailing smooth.

wifi4milez
Big Russ, 1918 to 2008. Rest in Peace
join:2004-08-07
New York, NY

wifi4milez to John Galt6

to John Galt6
I have experienced this firsthand. If I am not mistaken, each "hop" without an internet connection halves the available throughput. After the third or forth "hop" this system will be slowed to a dial up crawl. The self configuration of the units does seem pretty cool however, and it certainly would make setting up small networks easier for those less technically inclined.