Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rally3

join:2007-08-08
Marlborough, CT

Pole Tap...

Hey guys,

I recently had a Comcast Digital TV w/ HD programming install put on "hold" because their construction department needs to put in a pole tap (mid wire...something like that) on the power lines. I received a call from Comcast saying they would be checking it out within the next couple of days and they would call me back ASAP. It's been 3 days now, but I was just wondering if anyone else has run into a situation like this. If so, how long did it take?

Thanks for the responses in advance.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4

if you have no TV service, then you might have needed a tap cut it on the line...(mid span)....

why not make it at the pole and run a mid span drop, i dunno, but thats whatever...

either way...sounds like you dont have service at the moment through comcast?

Rally3

Marlborough, CT

That's the word...haha. Mid-span. But no, I do not have service through Comcast. I have my DSL and phone through AT&T. I was told that I would receive a call within a day or two and I hadn't received that call. So I just called customer service and they told me they will contact me within a week now. We'll see how it goes. Thanks.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
reply to gar187er

Do they have to put the jackson bends in the cable or whatever it's called midspan also? Or are those just to help reinforce the feeder at the pole to compensate for physical line stress and prevent suckout?

Yeah why can't they put the tap at the pole, run the drop to the midspan and clamp it there?

gar187er
I do this for a living

Dover, DE
reply to Rally3

theres an area near me that has a run of mid span taps...they run across the street to the sub poles.....but i still never got the point behind mid span taps....must be an old school thing....

with having taps cut in, they need to check the maps and make sure its feasible, meaning they have to change some tap values, and or balance the line out to make it work....its not just as simple as "ok you want serivce, here let me throw another tap inline"....

this is the reason there are plant engineers

Rally3

Marlborough, CT

Thanks for the replies. Do you guys know if there is any chance that they won't be able to run the tap or mid-span (whatever it's called) to my place? Could I be out of luck?

gar187er
I do this for a living

Dover, DE
reply to Rally3

they should be able to...just may take some time...if you didnt have cable near your house itd be an issue, but if you can see it from your house you should be in luck....

Rally3

Marlborough, CT

My neighbor has underground cable, but I wouldn't think that would make a difference. My other neighbor has satellite, but once had basic cable. Also, me being in a garage/apartment should be an issue, correct?

gar187er
I do this for a living

Dover, DE
reply to Rally3

depends on the layout...but if its there, they will find a way to get to you seeing as its a servicable address....