how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

richgel77

join:2007-08-09
Plano, TX

Time Warner Cable pedestal fire pics

Last month we moved to a house in west Plano, TX. We ordered Time Warner's VOIP/cable TV/internet package. Service was very unreliable, and the amount of cable ran straight on the ground behind our fence was disturbing. We called TW many times to get them to bury the cable and properly close their utility pedestals near our fence.

Yesterday, our neighbors spotted a Time Warner truck behind our house. Around 15 minutes later, one of TW's utility pedestals erupted into flames and burned a 7ft section of our fence to the ground. Luckily the fire dept. arrived pretty quickly.

TW came and "repaired" our service by running a cable straight from the back of our house, out onto the road, to the pole at the closest major road (Independence Parkway).

We've filed a damage claim on the fence. Any tips on how best proceed?

(Needless to say, we're switching to Verizon FIOS ASAP.)

neofate
Caveat Depascor
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Birmingham, AL
Wow.. that is all I can say. The amount of voltage running through your standard 'ped' is fairly low. The tap on many systems usually stops the voltage from hitting the home.

I guess a spark of some sort ignited a fire, I really don't know. There aren't a whole lot of flammable parts in the system..

If I were TW, I would definitely get to the bottom of this, and figure out what the cause was.

Glad the damage was limited to several planks on the fence.
--
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
kudos:1
yea, about 60VAC, and i think most amps call for 2.5 amp fuses...

i think something else started the fire...

MacLeech
The one and only
Premium
join:2001-07-14
SoCal
kudos:3
reply to neofate
It's possible someone may have been using their torch to seal the shrink tube and walked away with something smoldering in the ped...

Greg_Z
Premium
join:2001-08-08
Springfield, IL
reply to richgel77
Looks to me that some sort of accelerent was used to ignite the fence. Wood does not just "Burst" into flames without some assistance. Also it appears that your fence is actually on the Utility Easement, which means that they could remove it, and charge you for the cost of labor to take it off of the Public Right of way.
--
I threw out the map a long time ago. Now I follow my own direction!

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
kudos:1
reply to MacLeech
said by MacLeech:

It's possible someone may have been using their torch to seal the shrink tube and walked away with something smoldering in the ped...
just what i was thinking...

NoVA_CoxUser
Stand back from the cage -- The RF bites
Premium
join:2004-07-06
Alexandria, VA

4 edits
reply to Greg_Z
said by Greg_Z:

... Also it appears that your fence is actually on the Utility Easement, which means that they could remove it, and charge you for the cost of labor to take it off of the Public Right of way ...
That could be misconstrued by some readers ... although the details would depend on the verbiage of the easement.

First ... it's not a "public right of way" ... it's a and utility easement which by definition is across somebody's private property.

That means that while "Mr Utility" can gain reasonable access to the easement when necessary on/across the private property ... it doesn't give license to "Joe Q. Public" to do the same.

Easements also generally spell-out restrictions. These usually do prohibit big permanent structures (e.g. buildings) ... however, they generally do allow fences, sidewalks, driveways, landscaping, etc. with the caveat that if they need to be removed to gain reasonable access for system maintenance it's at YOUR expense.

The flip side is that utility gear in the utility easement shouldn't cause damage to the private property. This would certainly seem to be one of those cases and the fence owner's case would seem to have some merit.

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
reply to richgel77
What's interesting is the OP joined just after this happened. But after the fire where is the cabinet that was there? TWC take it away? The are that is burned does not look like its 7 foot though. Maybe 3 or 5 at the most but not 7.

If I was TWC I'd have the fire Marshal investigate this one. Looks like someone may have been trying to get a new vinyl fence and didnt want to pay for it. I do agree with the others and say that this was not caused by any equipment inside. Human fault caused this.

Greg_Z
Premium
Springfield, IL
That and the fact that it is a new fence held in with steel piping that is used when fencing is to be removed from easements. Normally, wood fences are held in place on wood 4x4 posts.

Also, due to this appears as arson (as pointed in my other thread), most likely TWC was repairing damage caused by the fire, and the OP is just trying to "Troll" to make people feel bad for him.

Also, where has our new BBR user been since the one post??
--

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
He's been on according to his profile page just not posting.

I would also say he's one of those people that love to go after insurance companies. I also agree arson.

richgel77

Plano, TX
reply to richgel77
Turns out that a Time Warner subcontractor admitted to using a torch on/near (?) the pedestal shortly before the fire. They're taking care of the damages.

I've had nothing but trouble with TW, but I never expected something like this. How hard could it be to properly install cable service in an older (mid 70's) suburb? The line to our house is still strewn all over the neighborhood.

-Rich

Greg_Z
Premium
Springfield, IL
Remember, it is not TW, it is a "Representative (used loosely) of their company that did this, and strewing the line all over. You do know, that a lawn mower or weed trimmer will take care of that quickly.
--

richgel77

Plano, TX
reply to richgel77
Jeez - all I posted where some pics of what happened to our property due to TW's (or one of it's "representatives") negligence, and asked for information and tips on how best to proceed. (If this isn't the right forum for this kind of post, please direct me to one that is.)

All I want is for TW to replace the damaged section of the fence, and to finally bury the rest of the wires that still remain behind our house (without setting something else on fire in the process). I think this is pretty fair.

Thanks to those posters that determined the fire had to have been started by someone (and not by any equipment in the pedestal itself).

-Rich

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to richgel77
quote:
(Needless to say, we're switching to Verizon FIOS ASAP.)
Verizon would never steal my oranges burn my fences!
--
Laser eye surgery rocks! I love frickin' laser beams.

switchman

join:1999-11-06
reply to Greg_Z
Actually, metal post are quite common on fences here in the DFW area. I had metal post put in when I replaced my fence. Also, Plano is a more upscale neighborhood and if you notice, the fence is a board-on-board which is typically a more expensive fence.

emptywig
Huh? What?
Premium
join:2002-08-05
Pasadena, TX

2 edits
reply to Greg_Z
Nobody with good sense would build a wooden fence on wooden posts anymore. The new pressure-treated lumber is absolutely AWFUL and will rot away in a few years. Metal posts are the only way to go.

I've grown weary of people proclaiming a particular post a fraud simply because they don't believe it. There is nothing in that picture that unequivically proves that a TW subcontractor couldn't have set something on fire.

wig
--
Sometimes a paradox is just a paradox

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

4 edits
reply to richgel77
ive seen peds erupt in flames. usually it because of a house neutral going bad and sending house voltage thru the cable plant. dont be surprised if it doesnt happen again. using a propane torch to heat shrinkwrap, ive never seen that cause a fire. my biggest question is tho why is the first picture on the corner and the fire damage is in the middle of the fence. the picture are clearly no where near each other. look at the pictures closer people. the one with the ped has grass on the other side of the fence. the fire damaged one has a road or some type of concrete on the other side. i know its from different sides but i have to join the BS category from what my eyes see in the pictures. what people dont come up with on the internet.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to richgel77
nope that peds still there.

richgel77

Plano, TX
reply to rody_44
There are two pedestals behind the fence. One is (obviously) gone - it was removed sometime shortly after the fire, before I arrived home to take pictures.

I included the other pedestal because it shows how sloppy TW's work sometimes is in this area. They leave the pedestals wide open, with wires running all over.

anonCableGuy

@verizon.com
I used to work for Comcast & TWC in Plano - my best advice is this: If you cant get them to bury the cables, call the City and file a complaint. You will be amazed at how quickly they will respond...although given this situation I'm sure they will bury the cables.