Premium Member
join:2001-11-29
Verona, PA

Combat Chuck to te1006

Premium Member

to te1006

Re: How late does UPS deliver?

said by te1006:

Its not just UPS it is also FED EX. If it gets late they go home.
Keep in mind that:
1. drivers are limited by law to the amount of hours they can be on road in a certain period of time.
2. there may have packages on their truck that they picked up that day that have to be at the station at certain time make it out.

Tzale
Proud Libertarian Conservative
Premium Member
join:2004-01-06
NYC Metro

Tzale to LadyL

Premium Member

to LadyL
said by LadyL:

Latest delivery out here is 7PM.
Waited for a package from them that I wanted to return via that same delivery person...I waited from 2PM...saw the truck drive by my house...I checked - no package...at about 7:15, I heard a 'thunk' on the front steps...dang driver dropped the package off...didn't even knock on the door! Boy! was I PO.
I hate when they do that. I called UPS and complained...they said all the drivers were running late and the heat was bad for them. So I told the person that I had seen the same truck drive by earlier (license plate) and why he didn't deliver it then? Person said that the other delivery on his list came first...told him BS...same house number, but next corner down from me...driver could have turned the corner and come up the block to my house...2 minutes to do that!!! Person had no answer to that!
Oh well!
You're not the only person he had to deliver to. He probably had a thousand other people, and they need to follow a route. They can't just turn around and come back to your house.

Here at my house, they usually deliver at around 3 PM, the latest I have seen them is around 7-8 at night during the Christmas season.

If it says "Out for delivery," and it is late, you aren't getting it that day.

You know if you know the tracking number you can call up UPS and pick up the package yourself from whatever warehouse it is in....

-Tzale
Tzale

Tzale to hottboiinnc4

Premium Member

to hottboiinnc4
said by hottboiinnc4:

The standard for UPS is 7pm local time. But if the package is already on the truck they MUST deliver or a tempt to deliver all packages before they return to the terminal.
Not true..

SOLdesign
Did I drink a shot of Irrational Whore?
Premium Member
join:2002-07-29
Woodland Hills, CA

SOLdesign

Premium Member

I agree. I have specifically been told my package was on the truck and it never arrived that day. I received it the next day. It went back out the next day on the truck...
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

800-PICK UPS says that is the standard other wise thats a problem with your local terminal not following policy.
hottboiinnc4

hottboiinnc4 to signmeuptoo94

to signmeuptoo94
Why not call 800-PICK UPS and have them send an email to the local terminal where your package is and have them call you what's going on or ask the call center instead of going by their website.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

I did all those things already. They evidently messed up. It was labeled out for delivery, but now it is enroute to Clarksville...
signmeuptoo94

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

WTF! Now it is showing It was shipped out yesterday, that only billing information has been recieved, and no transit information. What the hell is going on with UPS? I understand how hard it is for the drivers and it isn't like I expected it to get here overnight, but these screw ups worry me.

CapinPete
Premium Member
join:2002-12-23
West Palm Beach, FL

CapinPete to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
The "Out for Delivery" on the tracking website shows up when a package is scanned and put in the truck. It's quite possible that the person loading the vehicle scanned that package and then realized that it wasn't in the right place and forget to remove the scan.

This is very unlikely to happen with FedEx (Express) since the actual couriers load their own vehicles. On the other hand, FedEx (Express!) processes as much freight as they can. All the overnight stuff goes first (on flights) and if there is room we'll put as much of the 2-Day and Express Saver as space or time permits. What happens is that the driver might take some packages that aren't "due for delivery" on that day. If he has time, he will do them. Otherwise, it will show out for delivery, because it is, but later on it will show that it's not due. If this happen, you have the option of picking it up.

Couriers are out there just trying to make a living like everyone else. No one is trying to screw anyone out of their packages. Sometimes things happen and/or mistakes are made. I am not going to say all, but I can honestly say that most couriers I know do their best to get all packages out to where they need to be on time.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

I never said anything like I was thinking that they were out to screw me, where did you get that idea?

I am thinking there is a major mess up somewhere and my package might be lost. Why is it showing now like an order shows right when someone calls in for a tracking number, all when yesterday it was tracked from GA to TN and out for delivery. That seems to indicate some major problem.

I have a bad gut feeling that I might possibly not get this delivery. But we will see. I have had problems with UPS when I have lived elsewhere, so...

Combat Chuck
Too Many Cannibals
Premium Member
join:2001-11-29
Verona, PA

Combat Chuck

Premium Member

said by signmeuptoo94:

I have a bad gut feeling that I might possibly not get this delivery. But we will see. I have had problems with UPS when I have lived elsewhere, so...
I wouldn't get too worked up about it at this point, there is nothing useful you can do about it until Monday morning. Give it a day and track it then, if it's still not showing up give them a call or call the shipper and make sure they gave you the right tracking number and that they didn't fat finger your zip code.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Yeah. Sorry if I seem anxious guys, it's just the heat and me wanting to be cool, heh...

PolarBear03
The bear formerly known as aaron8301
Premium Member
join:2005-01-03

PolarBear03 to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
Dude, if it's a serious medical condition, cold shower it. It may be shocking at first, but keeping your body temp normalized is well worth it when your life is on the line.
PolarBear03

PolarBear03 to hottboiinnc4

Premium Member

to hottboiinnc4
I think they tell you that is the standard just so you will think more highly of them.

Tzale
Premium Member
NYC Metro

Tzale

Premium Member

Exactly.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

Well then the Fremont Terminal is much better than your guys. Never had a problem with a package before 7pm. All here on time around 3:30 or still delivered after 7pm. Maybe they follow what they're told; my local terminal says that as well. Drivers are to be on the road until all packages have been delivered or attempted to delivered. It also helps having the direct number to your terminal .

LadyL
Premium Member
join:2002-09-18
Lorain, OH

LadyL to Tzale

Premium Member

to Tzale
The point being, from my later telcon to dispatch...my house WAS the next delivery AFTER the one down the block!
The driver screwed up...he decided to just continue the rest of his deliveries and then return to my house as his LAST delivery on his way BACK to the 'station'.
Dispatch did apologize to me, thanked him for the apology.
Going to the station to pick it up myself wasn't an option at all - way out in the boonies.

Tzale
Premium Member
NYC Metro

Tzale to hottboiinnc4

Premium Member

to hottboiinnc4
said by hottboiinnc4:

Well then the Fremont Terminal is much better than your guys. Never had a problem with a package before 7pm. All here on time around 3:30 or still delivered after 7pm. Maybe they follow what they're told; my local terminal says that as well. Drivers are to be on the road until all packages have been delivered or attempted to delivered. It also helps having the direct number to your terminal .
Well, to be honest I've never had a problem with UPS or Fedex... I don't think it's a major problem having packages not delivered after 7PM since 99.9% of all UPS packages (and we have several per week) are delivered around 3 PM.

-Tzale

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

RR Conductor

Premium Member

It varies here, UPS often delivers around 4-5, sometimes much later, Fedex in the mornings and early afternoons and DHL usually in the morning as well. We're in a rural area, and are about 10 miles from the Fedex and UPS places in Ukiah, though DHL doesn't have a place here, and comes up from Santa Rosa (about 60 miles south of Ukiah).

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
Once when it was snowing I had a package come a little after 10Pm I was pretty shocked as thats the latest I've ever seen them deliver.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

You know, UPS *IS* a good outfit, the people work very hard and very long hours. I know what it is like, I was a legal courier for several years and drove without AC running in and out of buildings with deliveries and racing against the clock. I too worked 14 hours or more most days. I hated the heat and I don't know how I survived it (they made us wear full suits) but I enjoy a number of aspects of the work, such as the famous folks I met (some I served on, heh).
tgbp
join:2007-07-20
Florence, SC

tgbp to signmeuptoo94

to signmeuptoo94
I had UPS come at 10:30pm a few weeks ago. My wife was home and the kids asleep.

If I would have been home I don't know what I would have done, but I was pissed they came that late ringing the doorbell.

evergreek
Boeing Rocks
join:2003-05-25
Austin, TX

1 recommendation

evergreek to signmeuptoo94

to signmeuptoo94
better than not getting your package at all. They are humans just like you. Dont want it to come that late? Pay the extra cash other people pay to have it delivered earlier. No pun intended, just defending the good drivers outthere

chmod
Premium Member
join:2000-12-12
Lockport, IL

chmod to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
So whats the update? Did you get it, or not?

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Yes.

bmantz65
join:2001-07-23
united state

bmantz65 to signmeuptoo94

to signmeuptoo94
Glad to hear you got your package. I have been following the responses in this thread.

-I used to work at UPS. I didn't load the package cars, just the feeders AKA the big rigs you see on interstates. But I hard some about the delivery process from drivers. It really depends on your driver route. If your driver has businesses on his route, they will probably be taken care of first along with express residential packages. Ground residential packages are probably given the lowest priority and that is based on a specific route based on what the truck is loaded with and how UPS wants to route them.

-As far as the tracking information, if there was a gap in the data between when it was shipped and when you got it, that means the loaders along the way never scanned it in. Or since you didn't say there wasn't any date for arrival scans (i.e package is unloaded) then maybe the bar code and/or tracking number was damaged on the package.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

RR Conductor

Premium Member

FYI, Anything on UPS that is over 500 miles (and they're working on lowering that) goes via railroad piggyback FedEx, USPS and DHL also ship huge quantities via rail, and UPS is one of the top 5 shipper on the railroads.

Next time you get your package via UPS ground, thank a railroader too

Ted
@verizon.net

Ted

Anon

said by RR Conductor:

FYI, Anything on UPS that is over 500 miles (and they're working on lowering that) goes via railroad piggyback FedEx, USPS and DHL also ship huge quantities via rail, and UPS is one of the top 5 shipper on the railroads.

Next time you get your package via UPS ground, thank a railroader too
Yea. UPS hasn't started using aircraft for any shipments, yet.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

1 edit

RR Conductor

Premium Member

I said GROUND, NOT anything else, you need to read people's posts more carefully, and not ASSUME you know it all

Yes, the overnight, 2nd day and stuff like that DOES go via Air, I NEVER said it didn't, but UPS GROUND 500 miles and over gets a ride courtesy of the railroads to the regional or local distribution center Contact UPS or the railroads if you don't believe me.

removed
Premium Member
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX

1 recommendation

removed to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
said by signmeuptoo94:

Yes.
And... what's the scoop? Where's the "tear to my eye" Oprah Moment we were all hoping and waiting for?