Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dunworkin
Premium
join:2006-12-18
Bellflower, CA

Time Warner Digital phone setup

Does TW's digital phone system utilize the existing house wiring or does the phone have to be directly plugged into their modem? What do you do about the need for several phone support devices (fax machine, Direct TV, Home alarm call in service, etc)?

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 edits
said by dunworkin:

What do you do about the need for several phone support devices (fax machine, Direct TV, Home alarm call in service, etc)?
it should work fine

you can even use an 56k modem and you will get it low ping time

it's 56k over HFC lol

MacLeech
The one and only
Premium
join:2001-07-14
SoCal
kudos:3
said by Anonymous:

you can even use an 56k modem and you will get it low ping time
Ummm, it won't get lower ping time (why would it?) and it may not even work depending on the codec being used on the VOIP service.

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH

1 edit
Actually, most if not all TWC divisions use a high bitrate/high quality codec for digital phone that poses very little if any hazard to data services like 56k or fax machines. At least in my situation and I know many others, there is absolutely 0 issues using such services over DP. I can make a very stable connection every single time.

An alarm system though will be another thing altogether. I think many will require and/or be suggested to keep a traditional landline around just for the alarm system even though it MAY still work with DP.

Also, yes it CAN use the existing wiring in your house and 99% of subscribers do use this method since it's touted as a landline replacement. Usually it involves no more than disconnecting the phone company's wiring from the internal wiring at the box on the outside of the house and running a telephone cable from the modem to a vacant jack inside the house somewhere and it'll connect the modem to all jacks in the house.
--
I swear, some people should have pace-makers installed to free up the resources. Breathing and heart beat taxes their whole system, all of their brain cells wasted on life support.-two bit brains, and the second bit is wasted on parity! ~head_spaz

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
reply to dunworkin
What TWC does is disconnect your house from the actual telephone pole using the NID the telco has installed. They in turn at times hook up their own NID which just hooks up to your internal wiring. Other wise if they choose not to; what they do is just plug the modem into dual phone jack and all the other jacks work. but they still disconnect the house from the Telco's power so the power does not blow up their modem.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to MacLeech
nice try it could work

Will Cox Digital Telephone lines work with regular computer modems?
Yes, Cox telephone service also works with dial-up modems.

»www.cox.com/support/gainesvilleo···voip.asp

MacLeech
The one and only
Premium
join:2001-07-14
SoCal
kudos:3

1 edit
I said it MAY not work depending on the codec being used. I didn't say it wouldn't work.

See this:
»www.timewarnercable.com/Customer···ketID=23

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
oh