how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ninjatutle
Premium

join:2006-01-02
San Ramon, CA

How to piggyback router onto network for dynamic DNS?

The setup is a 2wire modem/router combo. No Dyn DNS. I want to use an old netgear router that has Dynamic DNS capability but I don't want to use the Netgear router as a router, just a device on the network to upload to the dns website of the address change. The Netgear gave me too many problems and is too unstable and sucks to be used as a standalone router.

It did not upload the address change when plugged into the network. Is there a way to make this happen?

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
Since the NetGear router is not connected to the WAN connection I don't think you are going to be able to use it.

If the 2Wire supports Dynamic DNS then use it.

If not you are going to have to run an app on the server to constantly test its public IP address and update the Dynamic DNS service with changes.

The other alternative is to get a more stable router that does what you want and includes support for Dynamic DNS.

/Tom

ChiTang
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-23
Alhambra, CA
kudos:1
reply to ninjatutle
Interesting, I am not 100% sure but it may work, I believe the 2wire router can be configured to deliver the WAN IP via its ethernet port to a device. So, connect the 2wire to WAN port of netgear and C. But you are semi double NATing and I don't know its impact on port forwarding.
--
I used to be indecisive, now I am not sure.

fox7

join:2001-02-12
Culver City, CA
reply to ninjatutle
ninjatutle:
I agree with tschmidt. If the computer is going to be up ALL the time, use the application that is testing and reporting the IP.

If not, use MasterCard.

fox7

ninjatutle
Premium

San Ramon, CA
There is no computer that is up, its for a stand alone device.

Looks like I'll just buy another router. I wanted to help the environment and be cheap buy using existing hardware

ChiTang
Premium,MVM
Alhambra, CA
You already have a netgear that does DYNDNS for you, all you need is a DSL modem.
--

ninjatutle
Premium

San Ramon, CA
I already did this. Netgear is too unstable

ChiTang
Premium,MVM
Alhambra, CA
reply to ninjatutle
Then get a modem and another router for DYNDNS. Since there is no a standalone device. You pretty much have to rely on the router. The only potential problem is that if the IP does not change for 30-45 days, you DYNDNS account will be diabled.
--