bbrcat
Cancer Sucks
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-09
NH
kudos:3

3 recommendations

New "reply to IM" situation ?

So now,when we click on an IM,we don't get taken directly to IM history ? Personally,I find this very annoying...please bring back the former way of replying to IM's !!!
--
Team
Discovery

nil
Java Geek
join:2000-11-27
kudos:2
If you click on the name the IM is from you'll be taken back to the old screen.
--
Life is too short to be boring

Maccawolf
Premium
join:2001-02-20
Hillsdale, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to bbrcat
Yeah, I don't like it either. I HATE popups and mouseovers.

Jolie8
Take my advice.. I don't use it anyways.
Premium
join:2004-08-07
London, ON

1 recommendation

Me three..I find it annoying as well.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21

1 recommendation

reply to bbrcat
very annoying

bbrcat
Cancer Sucks
Premium,MVM
NH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to nil
said by nil:

If you click on the name the IM is from you'll be taken back to the old screen.
Not so.It takes you back to an empty IM 'bin'(although clicking on that link in the 'pop-up' box WILL do so)

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
join:1999-05-28
kudos:15
Reviews:
·iiNet
reply to Maccawolf
said by Maccawolf:

Yeah, I don't like it either. I HATE popups and mouseovers.
It isn't a pop-up (in that it doesn't pop-up unexpectedly, but on command, nor is it a window) it isn't a mouseover either, its a layer, so that you can deal with (read and reply) without leaving your current page.

If you need the message history, which is probably the case in 1 out of 5 messages for most people, you can get to it by clicking 'inbox'.

fourboxers
Co-Lead Mod
join:2003-05-04
Toronto, ON

2 recommendations

Any chance the send/cancel buttons could switch?

Johnny
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium
join:2001-06-27
Atlanta, GA
reply to bbrcat
I LOVE this!!!!

It allows you to keep the other 3 IMs pending while you go and read the reply from the first one. Previously, once you read one reply, the other pending IMs stopped flashing and you had to remember how many there were.

This is fantastic. Makes reading multiple replies to threads MUCH more organized.

Thanks a lot for this feature.
--
Said by indignant xenophobic poster: "That should be one of the prerequisite's for citizenship, [to be]able to take and pass the test fully in English."

Arelay
They call me Obi-Ron
Premium
join:2002-08-14

1 recommendation

reply to bbrcat
Work around for this bug...Don't have anyone who wants to IM you.

Unless it's really, really, really important.

Works for me.
--
Team Discovery/ ~ Project Hope ~

bbrcat
Cancer Sucks
Premium,MVM
NH

2 recommendations

So noted.I'll use telepathy if I wish to reach ya

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to justin
said by justin:

If you need the message history, which is probably the case in 1 out of 5 messages for most people, you can get to it by clicking 'inbox'.
1 out of 5 messages??? I almost always need the message history. I write long IMs frequently and the replies are usually long. I generally need to refer to the history. This is irritating now. But then message history is only the last three IMs anyhow. It should be the entire message history for that person that one is taken to when replying as it used to be. And, as far I am concerned, you can get rid of the link to go back to where ever you were before you clicked on the IM. I don't click on IMs until I am ready to read them. I don't need to go back to where I was before because I have finished with that before I read my IMs.
--
"The same ferocity that our founders devoted to protect the freedom and independence of the press is now appropriate for our defense of the freedom of the internet. The stakes are the same: the survival of our Republic". Al Gore, The Assault on Reason

Johnny
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium
join:2001-06-27
Atlanta, GA
1 out of 5 messages??? I almost always need the message history.
Just click Inbox, like he said.

Do you use reply notification by IM? If not, you're not seeing the advantages of this feature for those who do.

Gizy
Have you thanked a soldier today?
Premium
join:2002-08-26
PNW
kudos:1

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to Mele20
The great thing about this site: if you don't need something (like the link to go back to where you were before you clicked the IM), you don't have to use it.

Justin has given us tons of options on how to use this site. Just because you choose not to use it doesn't mean the rest of us don't. It would be nice if you remembered that as you're commenting on site functionality.

*edit* for spelling

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY

2 recommendations

reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

....And, as far I am concerned, you can get rid of the link to go back to where ever you were before you clicked on the IM. I don't click on IMs until I am ready to read them. I don't need to go back to where I was before because I have finished with that before I read my IMs.
How, in any way, shape or form, does this affect you if you choose not to take advantage of it? Most people read their IM's as soon as they are notified....just because *you* don't doesn't mean the rest of us shouldn't have the option to return to where we were. Don't like it, don't use it, simple as that.

It's a great feature, glad we finally got it.
--
~~"As long as America is an infidel enemy, terrorizing it is a duty." Sayed Imam Abdul-Aziz el-Sheriff~~

Expand your moderator at work

Maccawolf
Premium
join:2001-02-20
Hillsdale, NJ
reply to bbrcat

Re: New "reply to IM" situation ?

justin See Profile,
Thanks for changing the reply/cancel order like fourboxers See Profile suggested!

Weirdal
Premium
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE
kudos:21

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

said by justin:

I write long IMs frequently and the replies are usually long.
No kidding?

CalamityJane
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-27
Eustis, FL
kudos:8

4 recommendations

reply to bbrcat
Is this the official thread? If so, I just want to report that this feature is really awful for those of us in the technical forums (some of us get really long technical PMs with logs and such).

And for newbies - I'm just not sure how to explain how to use it.

Mark me down as an unhappy camper.
--
It takes a disaster to make a woman out of a female
Microsoft MVP/Windows Security 2003-2007
Proud Member of ASAP (Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals)

Weirdal
Premium
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE
kudos:21
so just click the names like you used to.

CalamityJane
Premium,MVM
Eustis, FL
reply to CalamityJane
*replies to self*

A much better use of it would be a popup, mouseover,layer (~whatever it is~) that is in a shortened, abbrieviated version that one could easily disable and come back to later.

Right now I have this huge log excluding my being able to see the forums and I'll deal with PM's later

I'm probably not making sense since I'm so pissed off - apologies and all - it's just really annoying.

xoxoxoxox (but please make it stop)
from a Techie
--

CalamityJane
Premium,MVM
Eustis, FL
reply to Weirdal
said by Weirdal:

so just click the names like you used to.
I did. Had to have a user manual to figure it out. That translates into help from a Mod.

Further interpretation: It isn't newbie friendly - it isn't really useful (but rather annoying) in technical forums.
--

MorWired
Premium
join:2001-03-03
reply to CalamityJane
said by CalamityJane:

*replies to self*

A much better use of it would be a popup, mouseover,layer (~whatever it is~) that is in a shortened, abbrieviated version that one could easily disable and come back to later.

Right now I have this huge log excluding my being able to see the forums and I'll deal with PM's later

I'm probably not making sense since I'm so pissed off - apologies and all - it's just really annoying.

xoxoxoxox (but please make it stop)
from a Techie
If you need to get rid of the IM layer then click "ok" in the lower right-hand corner.

http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/1202181~83bed6c7c12b6ca216d6edfd506ee949/im%20popup.jpg
(Borrowed image from another thread.)

Then, whenever you're ready to reply to your IM, go to the overall IM history page, or the conversations page, and pick up the IM there as you are used to.

Hope this helps.

--
Get your daily dose of wonder from the Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD).

CalamityJane
Premium,MVM
Eustis, FL

1 recommendation

{{{Hugs}}}

Thank you, but for newbies here, I have this sorted out thanks to the many of you who PM'd me, but please don't do that anymore it's annoying

Gracious kisses but this feature really sucks

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

reply to Weirdal
Clicking the name just gives you that stupid "preview". I had to close Opera to get rid of all the junk on my screen. If I want to read an IM, I will read the IM. I do not wish to see a preview of the IM! Reminds me of one of the reasons I got rid of my TV. There was no point in watching shows anymore because the previews ruined the show.

So, I closed Opera to get rid of that junk because it wouldn't go away otherwise. Then I opened IE and there is no notice of an IM waiting. So, obviously, when we see the red envelope now we can't touch it because that sticks the preview on your screen that you can't rid of. So, what is the point of IMs here now? IMs were FANTASTIC at this site until this new whatever it is.
--
"The same ferocity that our founders devoted to protect the freedom and independence of the press is now appropriate for our defense of the freedom of the internet. The stakes are the same: the survival of our Republic". Al Gore, The Assault on Reason

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
That 'preview' is the actual IM. Not a preview of the IM, but the real thing. And you can reply to it right there, without changing screens at all.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

Why would I want to reply to it there? I write long IMs...many paragraphs that take 20-30 min. as do my friends here. Not every IM is lengthy but many are. How do I get rid of this feature which is not useful for me and is quite irritating? I use an extension on Fx and SeaMonkey that allows me to greatly enlarge the IM box...that extension is a major reason I use those browsers. So, why would I want some tiny box to reply in on top of the forum I was in? I have ADHD and I can't have all the distractions that are now all over this site as it makes the ADHD worse. I want a dedicated IM page. So, I just have to always ignore the red envelope correct? There is no way to turn this feature off if it is not useful for some? From now on, I have to ignore the red envelope and just every now and then go to IM page and look for the IMs there? They will be like they have been if I do that? And there is no other possible solution?
--

Lanik
Lab-nik
Premium,ExMod 2002-03
join:2001-06-25
San Francisco, CA

1 edit
Not everyone uses the site the way you do Marylin what you find the most irritating many users find helpful. Ultimately justin See Profile decides what features to add or remove and you'll either have to live with it or move on.

I get no pop-ups since I have them disabled and there is a script that I'm using which blocks it as well. I guess I'm just immune.
--
"If it ain't broke don't fix it."

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
reply to Mele20
You can right click on the sender, and open in a new window or tab. That takes you to your familiar location.

Lanik
Lab-nik
Premium,ExMod 2002-03
join:2001-06-25
San Francisco, CA

1 edit
reply to Mele20
Come to think of it there is also another way. You can write your IM in your favorite text editor and paste your text into the IM window once you're done. You can take your sweet time, just don't forget to use a spell check.
--
"If it ain't broke don't fix it."