how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rkholmes

join:2000-02-06
Portland, OR

[News] Comcast hinders Bit Torrent traffic

This morning Slashdot is running a feature about Comcast throttling Bit Torrent traffic. A very good point is presented. How does Comcast discern evil Bit Torrent traffic from good Bit Torrent traffic? It looks like the answer is that THEY DON'T!

Comcast is apparently even using a special program from a company called Sandvine to disrupt the Bit Torrent connections of their subscribers. I really wonder is this is in their TOS, AUP or whatever is is they call that great big fine print document these days?

Here is the story that Slashdot picked up on:

»torrentfreak.com/comcast-throttl···ossible/

What do you think about this news? Are you going to be looking for a new provider? I don't use Bit Torrent much so it really isn't of much consequence to me. What I do think stinks is that there are perfectly legal uses of Bit Torrent technology and many well known companies that harness it for file distribution. Red Hat is one of those companies.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11

Try this thread

»Comcast is using Sandvine to manage P2P Connections

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Secolliyjn

@comcast.net
reply to rkholmes

Well i personally only use Bit Torrent if i can not find it on newsgroups I am Supposedly in the top .01% of all Comcast users as far as bandwidth usage according to Comcast that is and am already looking at another service i think where i live FIBER at 15mb/15mb might be available for only 35 a month or will be here to me soon

nietsni3

join:2002-12-06
Philadelphia, PA

said by Secolliyjn :

i think where i live FIBER at 15mb/15mb might be available for only 35 a month or will be here to me soon
you are kiddin

nazz0

join:2003-01-25
reply to Secolliyjn

said by Secolliyjn :

FIBER at 15mb/15mb might be available for only 35 a month or will be here to me soon
I would likely twist my ankle running to sign up for that!

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium
join:2001-08-02
Michigan City, IN
reply to rkholmes

That 15/15 fiber connection i bet will have a cap to.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to rkholmes

said by rkholmes:

How does Comcast discern evil Bit Torrent traffic from good Bit Torrent traffic? It looks like the answer is that THEY DON'T!

What I do think stinks is that there are perfectly legal uses of Bit Torrent technology and many well known companies that harness it for file distribution. Red Hat is one of those companies.
But unless they open and examine each packet of your private data transmission (assuming the manpower and technology was available, affordable and techincal possible to do in near real time) they can't tell what you are reciving/transmitting.
Therefore they must block based on the application/connection pattern, rather than the content. (which can be encrypted/hidden from quick casual detection anyway)

Should privacy for all users or usablity of an application type (which MAY be againist the TOS) for a small portion of users a bigger priority for Comcast?