share rss forum feed

batsona
Maryland

join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Verizon FiOS

Monte Carlo SS & Impala SS: Rear or Front drive?

Play salesperson for me?

The 2007 Monte Carlo SS and Impala SS: Rear-wheel drive, or front wheel drive? I'm looking for a new V8 with a small(ish) pricetag. I'd really like a rear-drive car because it rides so well with the weight distributed better.

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
kudos:2

Both are front wheel drive.

Mospaw
My socks don't match.
Hawaiian Jellyfish
join:2001-01-08
Mile High
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to batsona

The 2007 Monte Carlo SS is front wheel drive: »www.edmunds.com/new/2007/chevrol···ecs.html

The 2007 Impala SS is front wheel drive: »www.edmunds.com/used/2007/chevro···ecs.html

Rear wheel drive cars are getting easier to find. Ford has the Panther chassis (Crown Victoria, Town Car, Grand Maruqis) and Chrysler has the LX platform (Chrysler 300, Dodge Magnum, Dodge Charger). I'm not as familiar with GM offerings, but I think Cadillac has 1 or 2 RWD models, and the rest of GMs cars (except the Corvette) are FWD. I might be wrong, though.

UNless you go to high end Japanese or German cars you're going to be limited to front wheel drive.

I noticed sticker price on the Monte Carlo SS was $28,000. For that much money, you can get a certified used, er sorry, um, "pre-owned" Mercedes or BMW with an extended warranty and rear wheel drive. They won't be a V8, though.

sailor
Premium
join:2003-10-21
Long Island
kudos:6
reply to batsona

Could be me getting older but putting the SS emblem on a Chevy and giving it front wheel drive is like sinful to me.

THUD300
Part Of A Complete Breakfast
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Decatur, IL
reply to batsona

If you gotta have a Chevy rear wheel drive check out the Trailblazer SS. Nicely equipped and wicked fast. These are out there in all wheel drive as well.
--
Your actual mileage may vary. Operators are standing by.

imrf
Premium
join:2002-06-06
Utica, MI
reply to Mospaw

said by Mospaw:

I'm not as familiar with GM offerings, but I think Cadillac has 1 or 2 RWD models, and the rest of GMs cars (except the Corvette) are FWD. I might be wrong, though.
You are correct, for now. In early 2008 GM is going to release the Pontiac G8, which will be rear wheel drive. It is based on a new platform that GM will migrate over to many of their current sedans. I've seen the G8 in person and it is a beautiful car. The GT version will have the LS2 in it.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
reply to batsona

A used Lexus GS 400/430 might be an option for you.

It is a sporty sedan with a V8.
--
Overheard: "I could careless matter of Fact"

stickfigure

join:2002-06-11
El Cajon, CA
reply to batsona

Are you looking for something brand new or can it be used?

batsona
Maryland

join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Verizon FiOS
reply to batsona

My 'requirements' are

1.) V8
2.) New
3.) Rear-drive if possible
4.) American-made
5.) As cheap as possible, no higher than $32K.

Does that pretty much leave the Monte Carlo and Impala? I know there's a Mustang V8 4.7 for $28K too, but the other two models I mentioned will give me 5.3L V8's for the same price.

krayzie bone

join:2006-09-03
Marietta, GA
reply to batsona

have you looked at the Silverado SS? It sounds like it might be in your price range. The '07 model starts at $34k but i'm sure you could find a nice preowned one for a lot less. Maybe a two year old model with 40k with warranty? I just checked autotrader in my area and found a few that didn't look too bad at all. you might have better luck than me though, even though everyone in georgia drives a truck =P

Then later on you can slap a supercharger on that thing and get wild son!

TODarling
U.S. Army Retired
Premium
join:2004-11-27
Fort Smith, AR
reply to batsona

For the amount you could get a Hemi Charger if you shop around.

eSteve
Yoiks and Away
Premium
join:1999-11-08
Alexandria, VA
reply to batsona

said by batsona:

My 'requirements' are

1.) V8
2.) New
4.) American-made

Does that pretty much leave the Monte Carlo and Impala? I know there's a Mustang V8 4.7 for $28K too, but the other two models I mentioned will give me 5.3L V8's for the same price.
Results: 67 Vehicles within 50 Miles of 21204
Keyword: "V8"
»www.cars.com/go/search/search_re···ff=wpost

This search included used as well... but gives a few ideas about domestic offerings w/ V8. Most have already been covered.
--
eSteve

"Think left and think right and think low and think high." - Dr. Seuss

anonname

@comcast.net
reply to batsona

Yes, I have also been looking for an American V8, rwd, and have been sorely disappointed, especially by GMs bungling of the impala name and morbid distribution of SS badges. And a FWD 5.3 litre is just asking for a snapped transaxle. Your best bet is probably the Dodge Charger, as it has much better suspension than the Mustang, and can fit any motor under the hood tha Mopar makes. A V8 (only available in R/T) will cost you about $28,000 (340 hp 5.7 hemi), or you can get the v6 for $20ish and spend the extra $8k or so on a crate 426.

jeckler

join:2005-04-11
Mesa, AZ

1 edit
reply to batsona

Pontiac GTO?
Oops, forgot about the price ceiling.

Mospaw
My socks don't match.
Hawaiian Jellyfish
join:2001-01-08
Mile High
kudos:1
reply to batsona

said by batsona:

My 'requirements' are

1.) V8
2.) New
4.) American-made
Aside from the Chrysler products mentioned, you might consider a Ford Crown Victoria or Mercury Grand Marquis (known as the Panther platform). It's damn near impossible to spend more than $30K on a new one ($25K is more like it) and the Crown Victoria LX Sport is a reasonable performer and decent on gas (all things considered). They're V8, rear wheel drive, and so on.

Yes, they have fairly soft, old-fashioned suspensions and quirky handling at the limit. And you'll never embarrass a Corvette with one. Build quality is decent, but interior materials are merely OK. Not luxurious, but pleasant.

The good news is that they're about as durable a car as you can get outside of a German diesel. There's a reason police agencies and taxi companies like the Panther platform.

I know you want new, but a used Crown Vic or Grand Marquis will be very cheap. I bought my Crown Vic when it was 2.5 years old (46K miles) for about 40% of sticker price. A year or two old will be considerably cheaper than new.

Another car to consider would be a Mercury Marauder. They made them form 2003-2004 only. Yes, I know it's a used car, but it's also the highest performance Panther ever made. Low-miles examples are around $20K, give or take, and the 300HP engine really moves them nicely.

Either way, they're great transportation. I love mine. One thing, though. They're made in Canada.

As for the Pontiac GTO, yeah it's a bit over the price range, but it's also an Australian car with an American name on it. Personally, I consider that a plus. The Aussies really know how to make high-performance cars.

TODarling
U.S. Army Retired
Premium
Fort Smith, AR

Not meaning to toot a horn for Chrysler but they just came out with a life time drive train warranty for the first registered buyer.

inteller
Sociopaths always win.

join:2003-12-08
Tulsa, OK

2 recommendations

reply to sailor

no you aren't old. I think the fact that a Monte Carlo is FWD is sinful.
--
"WHEN THE LAUGH TRACK STARTS THEN THE FUN STARTS!"

Mentat
Premium
join:2001-02-25
Sugar Land, TX
reply to batsona

said by batsona:

My 'requirements' are

1.) V8
2.) New
4.) American-made

Displacement isn't king.

»www.planetford6.com/data/detail_···k=75596#
--
Learn, laugh, love, live.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

1 edit
reply to TODarling

said by TODarling:

Not meaning to toot a horn for Chrysler but they just came out with a life time drive train warranty for the first registered buyer.
Many years too late and I would LOVE to see the actual warranty and see what is excluded and when it is excluded. Sad that they have to go to a 'lifetime' warranty for the drive train to get people to buy the cars.

Cody
Bob Vance, VR
Premium
join:2002-05-28
Spokane, WA

Sad for them, but great for the consumer.

TODarling
U.S. Army Retired
Premium
Fort Smith, AR
reply to CylonRed

said by CylonRed:

said by TODarling:

Many years too late and I would LOVE to see the actual warranty and see what is excluded and when it is excluded. Sad that they have to go to a 'lifetime' warranty for the drive train to get people to buy the cars.
Here you go.

»www.chrysler.com/crossbrand/warr···anty.pdf

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

1 edit

Yep - the expected holes are there - mainly the 'lifetime warranty' does not start immediately - it only kicks in AFTER the basic, limited warranty and you have to somehow prove a defect in workmanship or materials. Nor does it seem to exist if you have to have a drive train component replaced during the first 3 years - at least that would be my guess since the warranty has no mention of this situation. And of course - how many folks are going to forget to have the drive train inspected every 5 years? Probably the vast majority.

And if it really was a lifetime warranty - it should be transferable.

ZOG321
Premium
join:2003-10-22
Slingerlands, NY
reply to batsona

I have had the recent pleasure to drive several 2008 models of GM and the Cadillac CTS can be had for just over your price range. The 3.6L motor pulled very well and the interior was nice. The lowest MSRP sticker I saw was $34k and the highest was $48k.

The Impala SS is a great buy too, but there is a VERY noticeable front-end twitchiness whenever you accelerate. (Meaning--I couldn't get the front wheels from spinning no matter how softly the pedal was pushed. Just screams low life tire expectancy to me.)

imrf
Premium
join:2002-06-06
Utica, MI

said by ZOG321:

I have had the recent pleasure to drive several 2008 models of GM and the Cadillac CTS can be had for just over your price range. The 3.6L motor pulled very well and the interior was nice. The lowest MSRP sticker I saw was $34k and the highest was $48k.
Complete base model starts at $32,245 to be exact. I also drove one on Friday, a 3.6L V6 DI motor, performance package and a few other options and loved it. I am hoping within the next few weeks once more stock is put on the lots to get one.