uniqs

pulp46
Premium Member
join:2003-01-28
canada

2 edits

pulp46

Premium Member

"Volume is corrupt, run chkdsk" What's the command?!

I'm trying to run a checkdisk in Knoppix on my PC but I do not know the command. Can anyone provide it please?

knoppix@Knoppix:~$ ntfsfix /dev/hda1
Mounting volume... Error opening partition device: Permission denied
Failed to startup volume: Permission denied
FAILED
Attempting to correct errors... Error opening partition device: Permission denied
FAILED
Failed to startup volume: Permission denied
Volume is corrupt. You should run chkdsk.
knoppix@Knoppix:~$ chkdsk
bash: chkdsk: command not found
knoppix@Knoppix:~$

Thanks for any help!

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert

Mod

Try "fsck"

pulp46
Premium Member
canada

pulp46

Premium Member

said by nwrickert:

Try "fsck"
Groovy, thanks for replying! It's doing it's thing... could hear the HD spinning then it stopped. I presume it's doing it. I have a hda1 and a hda2. Will it do both?

This is what I have so far after typing "fsck":

knoppix@Knoppix:~$ fsck
fsck 1.40-WIP (14-Nov-2006)

jdong
Eat A Beaver, Save A Tree.
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Rochester, MI

jdong to pulp46

Premium Member

to pulp46
There are no Linux tools for checking NTFS disks ntfsfix's only repairative action is to zero the journal, which should only be attempted in emergencies.

Don't use anything other than Windows to check NTFS.

The errors you are getting are because you are running the command as a regular user rather than root (or sudo)

pulp46
Premium Member
canada

pulp46

Premium Member

said by jdong:

The errors you are getting are because you are running the command as a regular user rather than root (or sudo)
Damn, I did the "su" enter command to make me root. I followed these instructions:

1. Boot Knoppix
2. Open Shell
3. Type "su" and press enter. (this makes you root)
4. Type "cfdisk" and press enter.
5. You will see all your partitions on your hard disk. They are e.g. hda1 (probably your C:), hda5 (D:) ... Check those where filesystem is NTFS.
6. Write these down! You should then have a list like: hda1, hda5, hda6
7. Exit cfdisk.
8. Now type: "ntfsfix /dev/hda1" and press enter.
9. Do this and replace hda1 with all occurences on your list.
10. Close Knoppix and reboot.
Windows will boot up and it might take quite a long time while the screen is black. As long as the bluescreen does not come up, everything is okay.
If Windows finally starts okay, you should be done.

»www.retosphere.de/tipsan ··· rntfsfix /dev/hda1icks/ntfserror.php?menu_id=24&

jdong
Premium Member
Rochester, MI

jdong to pulp46

Premium Member

to pulp46
Why are you trying to use ntfsfix to repair a NTFS drive? It is not desiged for that purpose, despite its name. The only thing it can do is zero the journal, which is just as likely to cause serious data corruption of nonreverted journaling transactions.

pulp46
Premium Member
canada

pulp46

Premium Member

said by jdong:

Why are you trying to use ntfsfix to repair a NTFS drive? It is not desiged for that purpose, despite its name. The only thing it can do is zero the journal, which is just as likely to cause serious data corruption of nonreverted journaling transactions.
Well, I've talked to people online who have done this very thing, and it worked beautifully....

fsck seems to have stopped, it must take a while eh? I hear nothing and no more enties:

knoppix@Knoppix:~$ chkdsk
knoppix@Knoppix:~$ fsck
pulp46

pulp46 to jdong

Premium Member

to jdong
I did an fsck for each hd:

knoppix@Knoppix:~$ fsck /dev/hda1
dosfsck 2.11, 12 Mar 2005, FAT32, LFN
open /dev/hda1:Permission denied
knoppix@Knoppix:~$ fsck /dev/hda2
fsck: fsck.ntfs: not found
fsck: Error 2 while executing fsck.ntfs for /dev/hda2

NOT GOOD! Any other ideas?

jdong
Premium Member
Rochester, MI

1 edit

jdong to pulp46

Premium Member

to pulp46
You are not running as root your prompt indicates you're still the Knoppix user.

Don't run fsck on NTFS partitions. It's an undefined action -- fsck will skip over NTFS partitions because there is no fsck tool implemented for NTFS..

chkdsk is a Windows tool. There is no Linux chkdsk command.

Run sudo ntfsfix /dev/hda1 to get your command to work, but as someone who was a Windows veteran long before he used Linux, I'd have to warn you that you can seriously screw up your Windows filesystem doing this, and it should only be attempted if every other possible solution fails.

EDIT: Which is your NTFS drive? Replace hda1 with hda2, as it seems from fsck output that hda2 is NTFS.

pulp46
Premium Member
canada

3 edits

pulp46 to jdong

Premium Member

to jdong
said by jdong:

Why are you trying to use ntfsfix to repair a NTFS drive?
Home XP won't boot. Trying to backdoor repair corrupted drive. I don't have an XP Home copy to do a proper "repair".
pulp46

pulp46 to jdong

Premium Member

to jdong
Thanks jdong! Okay, I will wait for more replies before going ahead....

jdong
Premium Member
Rochester, MI

jdong to pulp46

Premium Member

to pulp46
ok, no no no, this is NOT how you fix a won't boot problem. If you would like to elaborate a bit on the issue, I might be able to help you out more. Are you getting error messages of some sort during boot?

pulp46
Premium Member
canada

pulp46 to jdong

Premium Member

to jdong
On second thought.... this is driving me nutz. I'm going to give the Forum 10 minutes, then I will do a:

sudo ntfsfix /dev/hda2

Wish me luck!!!!

jdong
Premium Member
Rochester, MI

jdong to pulp46

Premium Member

to pulp46
Well, I do wish you luck, but I'm more than willing to be this won't solve 90% of bootup issues. If it works it's mere coincidence and you'll spend a day figuring out what ntfsfix deleted by clearing the log.

pulp46
Premium Member
canada

pulp46 to jdong

Premium Member

to jdong
said by jdong:

ok, no no no, this is NOT how you fix a won't boot problem. If you would like to elaborate a bit on the issue, I might be able to help you out more. Are you getting error messages of some sort during boot?
Blue Screen of Death:
"..... Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

**STOP: 0x00000024(0x00190203,0x82FE51C8,0xC0000102,0x00000000)"

jdong
Premium Member
Rochester, MI

jdong to pulp46

Premium Member

to pulp46
No, this will not work. You need a Windows CD's recovery console or another person's Windows machine to put the hard drive into and run chkdsk to fix.

Zeroing the log almost certainly won't help here. That's for when chkdsk sees a corrupted log and refuses to continue checking the disk. Currently it doesn't even look like Windows can even access chkdsk on the drive.

pulp46
Premium Member
canada

pulp46

Premium Member

Okay jdong, thanks! I will ask around for a copy of XP Home. That's what I really wanted to do but few people have them. Damn companies don't want to give them when you buy a PC.

jdong
Premium Member
Rochester, MI

jdong to pulp46

Premium Member

to pulp46
Yeah, it's really bad copy that they don't give you any kidn of recovery tools, apart from one that just totally wipes and restores the computer.

pulp46
Premium Member
canada

1 edit

pulp46

Premium Member

Just want to say that my issue has been resolved. Thank you jdong for possibly saving my data if I had gone through with the Linux work around....

I got a hold of a copy of XP Home, clicked on R and when it stopped doing it's thing it went to a command prompt. So I typed in chkdsk /r (because /F was not recognized even though instructions I found on the web stated to do a chkdsk /F) and it scanned my HD and fixed whatever it was... took about 2 hours. Everything's just the way it was!

antiserious
The Future ain't what it used to be
Premium Member
join:2001-12-12
Scranton, PA

antiserious

Premium Member

Since you don't have your own XP cd, you might want to put chkdsk on a floppy while your system is working, to be prepared if/when this happens again. You can copy it from your install, or from the cd if you still have it, or even download one. I bet it will come in handy again, long as you're dual-booting.

pulp46
Premium Member
canada

4 edits

pulp46

Premium Member

said by antiserious:

Since you don't have your own XP cd, you might want to put chkdsk on a floppy while your system is working, to be prepared if/when this happens again. You can copy it from your install, or from the cd if you still have it, or even download one. I bet it will come in handy again, long as you're dual-booting.
I'm a doh_nut:

1. It was actually chkdsk /R that did the trick. chkdsk did nothing I could notice...

2. I don't get it, how do I put a command prompt onto a blank CD? Are you really talking about the 3.5 inch floppy drive? Haven't seen a floppy diskette in a decade. LOL

3. "Dual booting", what do you mean? Because I went to boot from CD ROM with XP Home to fix my issue or because you think I have 2 hard drives? I only have one hard drive, I think, and Dell takes part of it for Dell stuff. Maybe it is 2 hard drives because of the Linux hda1 and hda2 showing up. HDA1 was the Dell part, less than a Gig I think, hda2 is 190 GIG.

pulp "clueless in Carp but I can get cookin' wit fire!" 42

antiserious
Premium Member
Scranton, PA

antiserious

Premium Member

Didn't intend to add to your confusion.
said by pulp46:

1. It was actually chkdsk /R that did the trick. chkdsk did nothing I could notice...

What program did you think ran when you executed 'chkdsk /R' ?
said by pulp46:

2. I don't get it, how do I put a command prompt onto a blank CD? Are you really talking about the 3.5 inch floppy drive? Haven't seen a floppy diskette in a decade. LOL

Yes, I was talking about an actual, bootable floppy.
"When you choose to make a floppy bootable in the format process, only the essential core DOS system files (io.sys, msdos.sys, command.com) are copied to the floppy. Because chkdsk is a separate, "external" program, you have to copy chkdsk.exe to the floppy after you format it."

I believe you can also make a boot cd with chkdsk, you may want to google some pages to learn more, or wait until someone else explains it better
said by pulp46:

3. "Dual booting", what do you mean? Because I went to boot from CD ROM with XP Home to fix my issue or because you think I have 2 hard drives? I only have one hard drive, I think, and Dell takes part of it for Dell stuff. Maybe it is 2 hard drives because of the Linux hda1 and hda2 showing up. HDA1 was the Dell part, less than a Gig I think, hda2 is 190 GIG.

When I said 'dual-booting' I thought you also had Linux installed somewhere. If your only exposure to Linux is the Knoppix disk, sorry for the confusion.

There's also:

»www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
»pcworld.about.com/magazi ··· 2479.htm

pulp46
Premium Member
canada

4 edits

pulp46

Premium Member

Thanks antiserious! I have some reading to do...

Hmmmmm.... type in chkdsk /R and save to floppy for future boot up use.... high weirdness but sweet indeed!

Yes, I used a secondary PC to dl Knoppix and changed the BIOS in my screwed up PC to boot via CD ROM. It was extreme coolness seeing a full OS and instant internet connectivity from a CD, Linux rocks!

pulp "hittin' the books" 42

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert to antiserious

Mod

to antiserious
When you choose to make a floppy bootable in the format process, only the essential core DOS system files (io.sys, msdos.sys, command.com) are copied to the floppy.
If he is using NTFS, then how is a DOS boot disk going to help? Or is that a DOS version around that groks NTFS?

antiserious
Premium Member
Scranton, PA

antiserious

Premium Member

If he is using NTFS, and formats a bootable floppy from his XP install, then adds chkdsk, are you saying it will not work? I'm not in Windows now to check precise file names, I just copied from a guide I found. If they're incorrect I apologize.

pulp46
Premium Member
canada

4 edits

pulp46

Premium Member

said by antiserious:

If he is using NTFS, and formats a bootable floppy from his XP install,
Yes to NTFS.

Could the bootable floppy be on CD, not the 3.5 diskette drive? I have PC's with NO 3.5 drives, just CD/DVD. I thought 3.5's were ole skool!

antiserious
Premium Member
Scranton, PA

antiserious

Premium Member

said by pulp46:

Could the bootable floppy be on CD, not the 3.5 diskette drive?

After a fashion, yes. Once again, THIS is the best option I'm aware of. I would suggest trying this while you still have the XP disk you borrowed, in case all the files needed aren't already copied to your hard drive.

You might get more replies if you posted this as a separate question in the MS forum.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo to pulp46

Premium Member

to pulp46
There is a thing called Windows MXPE that is a bootable version of Windows XP. It has some problems, first of all it's illegal and second it's damn hard to find a copy. I do have a copy and it is as much a life saver in fixing Windows problems of this nature as a Linux live CD is for fixing Linux problems. It's too damn bad that Microsoft doesn't offer it so one can legally purchase it.

jdong
Premium Member
Rochester, MI

jdong to pulp46

Premium Member

to pulp46
I think BartPE is also okay for that purpose. But it is a chicken-or-egg problem.

MS's recovery toolset is a bit limited in my opinion, too. From a sysadmin's standpoint, Microsoft has a superb set of tools for every administration task except recovery. It's a shame.
salahx
join:2001-12-03
Saint Louis, MO

salahx to pulp46

to pulp46
One day, there will be an fsck.ntfs. NTFS development is very much alive but proceeding very, very slowly, due to lack of manpower (1 person does this, part-time) and extreme caution be the author (the last version of Linux NTFS ate filesystems).