share rss forum feed
« Artify #516Remembrance Day - November 11, 2014. »
prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 41 · 42 · 43 · 44 · 45 · 46 ... 52 · 53 · 54 · next

DaMonster

join:2011-05-19
Tucson, AZ
reply to SueS

Re: Post a photo of something you ate today

I think it will make great jerky, chuck is not usually one of the higher fat portions of meat. Are you going to thinly slice it and air dry it, oven dry it or ground it up and use your jerky gun and dehydrator?

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium
join:2005-01-16
WA, USA
kudos:4
They label it as you see, but London Broil is a method of preparation, not a actual cut of beef. Technically, it's one of the Beef Round cuts, not chuck.

It's gonna be chilled in the freezer to firm it up, sliced against the grain, pounded a bit to tenderize it, marinated overnight then dried in my bigazz dehydrator.
--

My 9/11 Tribute..online since 9/14/01
Need an Avatar? Check out Wafen's Avatar Pages

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20

1 recommendation

reply to SueS
Click for full size
ASUS Transformer TF101
3.4mm 1/6th F0 ISO100

ho fun noodles
Instead of making beef chow fun noodles, i ended up using shrimp, mixed with tofu, portabella mushrooms and some scallions....

Kids loved it...

Locutus65
Why bother?
Premium
join:2001-05-24
Houston, TX
kudos:2

3 recommendations

reply to SueS
Haven't actually eaten any yet, it's for tomorrow but I just made 2 loafs of banana bread, one with walnuts one without any nuts. My house smells soooo good right now. Used my grandma's recipe that I got from my mom.

MOM’S BANANA NUT BREAD

• 1/3 cup shortening

• 1/2 cup sugar

• 2 eggs

• 1 teaspoon baking powder

• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

• 1/2 teaspoon salt

• 1 ¾ cup AP flour

• 1 cup ripe bananas ( mashed )

• 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Cream shortening and sugar together, add eggs and beat well.

Sift dry ingredients together. Add to creamed mixture alternately with mashed bananas. Mix well after each addition. Mix in chopped nuts.

Pour into a well greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted into loaf mid way between center and outside comes out clean. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack. When cool wrap in aluminum foil or plastic wrap

EASTMAN KODAK Z740 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA
6.3mm 1/60th F2.8 ISO80

--
Today I saw something that reminded me of you. But don’t worry, I flushed and everything went back to normal.

caffeinator
Premium
WA, USA

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to SueS

Homemade Beef Jerky

OK, here it is....

I used this recipe as a rough guide, then pretty much messed with it entirely. There's about 4 kinds of chile powders and 3 hot sauces in there, plus a few other additions. I was going for a nice spicy warmth, smokey, semi-sweet with a touch of tangy.

Bad flash...but here' the marinade and the sliced up meat, Yes, I sliced it all by hand and on a diagonal bias.

In it goes! That went in the fridge overnight.

Now it gets down to it. I used gloves 'cus I didn't want to die handling the meat as I "squeegeed" the excess spicy marinade off with my fingers and laid them out.

Like so...it Begins.

Gotta have a close-up eh?

The dehydrator gets up to nearly 160F, so it only took about 7hrs. I turned the peices about once an hour and dabbed off any grease w/ a paper towel. Worked out damn well.

When cooled, proper jerky should bend and crack, but not snap. I think I did it about perfectly. BTW, that isn't oil you see shining, it's carmelized goodness.

When it was fully cooled, I tossed 'em in a plastic sack with a pinch of a custom chile powder and shook 'em up to add a bit of extra flavor and visual appeal. Also added a silica packet just to make sure it stays fresh.

I think for a $15 dryer I got at Thrift it did a rather good job.
--

Locutus65
Why bother?
Premium
Houston, TX

1 recommendation

reply to SueS

Re: Post a photo of something you ate today

That jerky looks good!
I use Hi Mountain jerky cure. It's a dry rub type vs wet and it's great.

Also, if you are going to do a lot of jerky etc I recommend getting yourself an Excalibur dehydrator. Shop around on Ebay and you can get one pretty reasonable. I picked up a 9 tray one new for about $180.00 I used to use the round one like you have and it's really a PITA. Have to rotate the trays etc plus it's round and your jerky isn't which means a lot of wasted space.

»www.excaliburdehydrator.com/Dehy···-cat.htm
--
Today I saw something that reminded me of you. But don’t worry, I flushed and everything went back to normal.

caffeinator
Premium
WA, USA

1 edit
Yeah, I know about the Excalibur line from my chilehead peeps. When you have bushels of pods to dry, they swear by 'em.

But, I'm a poor guy and this does just dandy. It has nine trays as well but I only used 2½ of them for this test batch.

IDK what you mean by rotating trays...I just checked on them once an hour and flipped/dabbed the pieces as I said...no fuss. Beats using my toaster oven.
--

lotusracer
Premium
join:1999-11-26
Moline, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom

1 recommendation

reply to SueS
Click for full size
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS
14.1mm 1/30th F4 ISO800

Click for full size
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS
21mm 1/60th F4.5 ISO250

Click for full size
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS
14.5mm 1/60th F4 ISO250

Click for full size
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS
23mm 1/60th F4.5 ISO250

with apologies for being too buzzed and full to post these yesterday, here are some photos from Saturday's visit to Woodfire Grill in Davenport »www.gowoodfire.com/

the first of 2 delicious Mango margaritas!

The Woodfire had a special offer via Facebook.... "like" their page and get a free appetizer with the purchase of 2 entrees. one of the other couples was kind enough to let me have a taste of their appetizer.

my dinner... WHISKEY SRIRACHA SALMON. whiskey glaze : fire-roasted vegetables : horseradish redskin smashed potatoes.
(Does this look healthier than my Kuma's Corner choices from Thursday?)

once I saw the dessert menu, HAD to go with Bread pudding.
--
Humanity - The greatest natural disaster of all time.

Locutus65
Why bother?
Premium
Houston, TX
reply to caffeinator
Rotating as in taking the bottom tray and moving it to the top and so forth. Since the heat comes from the bottom on the round dehydrator you will dry the bottom way faster than the top if you don't rotate.
--

caffeinator
Premium
WA, USA

1 edit
Ah, gotcha. I suppose that would come into play were I using more of the trays.

I mainly did it for the fun of it and to make jerky that is actually pretty hot for ME. Nothing found in the stores is even warm and buying the real hot stuff online is like buying the golden calf a slice at a time.

edit:
Good news, it passed the bag test. After sitting overnight in a sealed bag, there's no condensation or stickyness.

--

caffeinator
Premium
WA, USA

3 recommendations

reply to SueS
Remember I'd said I had bought a rump roast?

Well, I slow-cookered it last night. .yummmmy!!

Fork tender goodness.

Even gave some of the inner part with the least marinade/spices to Tiki, she definitely approved.
--

DaMonster

Tucson, AZ
reply to SueS
MMMM, Id like to put it on a slice of bread with mayo and tomato! A must have in my kitchen is the slow cooker!

caffeinator
Premium
WA, USA

1 recommendation

I'm gonna make cheesesteak pizza and/or S.O.S with some of it.

Onions, Serrano peppers, TheBeef and shredded Monterey Jack w/ NY Sharp White Cheddar. Rockz my tummy!

caffeinator
Premium
WA, USA

2 edits

2 recommendations

reply to SueS
Here's some follow-up stuff that was made with the roast or with by-products of the process.

My "Cheesesteak" Burrito: Quick, simple, delicious.

The roast, onion, pickled Jalapenos, and cheese with a bit of cayenne, celery salt, and garlic pepper.

The Fixin's

Nom Nom

The Close Up

The leftover broth from cooking the roast mostly went into a container in the fridge for later use. But, I kept some back for making a tasty stew.

The rich spicy broth + added water, Russet Potatoes, a Carrot, Onions, 2 cloves of Garlic, Summer Sausage, Mexican Oregano, Thyme, a Bay Leaf, and Wide Noodle Pasta.

Soup's on!

Mmmm, savory goodness.

--

Locutus65
Why bother?
Premium
Houston, TX
reply to SueS
Wow, those both look amazing. Maybe a touch too spicy for me but still looks good

caffeinator
Premium
WA, USA
Thanks!

The only real spicy stuff is the store-bought Melinda's Hab sauce, but it's not that hot IMO. The pickled Jalapenos are just tasty.

The stew isn't spicy, except in a peppery sort of way. It could use some Barley, but didn't have any on hand.

--

DaMonster

Tucson, AZ
reply to SueS
Looks delicious! No what im addicted to right now, those buffalo chicken rolls from the Quick Trip.

caffeinator
Premium
WA, USA

1 recommendation

reply to SueS
I survived grocery shopping w/ Mom and it's Friday the 13th!!

Sooooo.....cranking up the Oingo Boingo and Viva la Chelada!!

Chelada Time!!!

NomNomNomSluuuurp....

--

lotusracer
Premium
Moline, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom

1 recommendation

Click for full size
Oingo Boingo makes everything tastier!

lotusracer
Premium
Moline, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom

3 recommendations

reply to SueS
Click for full size
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS
9.6mm 1/25th F3.5 ISO400

Click for full size
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS
7.1mm 1/20th F3.2 ISO400

Click for full size
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS
24mm 1/50th F4.5 ISO640

resurrecting this thread just seemed like the right thing to do....

Vietnamese hand roll. inside a rice paper roll, you will find shrimp, rice, vermicelli, mint and romaine lettuce. served with homemade dip

then:

wok fried chicken, with roasted cashew nuts, bell pepper, onion in a roasted sweet chili sauce... delicious!
— at LemonGrass Cafe

dessert?
since my entree was on the hot/spicy side, figured a malt from Whitey's would take the heat out... a medium Mint Chocolate Chip was my choice this time
--
Humanity - The greatest natural disaster of all time.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
I do a similar roll - with shrimp, Chinese noodles, carrot, lettuce, and a bit of cilantro. The sauce is a mix of soy, hoisen, and rice wine vinegar with chopped peanuts - it is the peanuts that are the killer ingredient in the sauce.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

caffeinator
Premium
WA, USA

3 recommendations

reply to lotusracer
Yeah...I've been slacking. I still take pics, but when ya get behind, it's a PITA to try and post 'em up again.

Here's some yummy pork sausages frying up in the Anolon...

5.8mm 1/45th F2.8 ISO100

5.8mm 1/45th F2.8 ISO100

Which of course became a brekky burrito.

Add to that scrambled eggs, a diced pre-cooked potato, some onions, Jalapenos.

5.8mm 1/45th F2.8 ISO100

On the tort with cheese, garlic pepper and a dash of El Pato Jalapeno sauce. Mmmm.

5.8mm 1/45th F2.8 ISO100

--

jimhamilton
Facto Non Verba
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Emmetsburg, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom

2 recommendations

reply to SueS
Click for full size
FUJIFILM FinePix S1000fd
12.6mm 1/2000th F7.1 ISO64

Grilled teriyaki flat iron steak, brussel sprouts sauteed in bacon fat and crushed garlic & corn on the cob.

caffeinator
Premium
WA, USA
Mmmmm, nice!

I love cooking the sprouts that way...such an awesome flavor.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy

3 recommendations

reply to SueS
Click for full size
Carrot Bread, one of the most delightful breads that I enjoy. I had it for dinner a little back and couldn't help snapping a shot of it before I ate it. It was melt in your mouth with flavor.

caffeinator
Premium
WA, USA

1 recommendation

I love carrot cake/bread. In years past, I'd ask for a carrot cake for my B-day instead of the usual sugar-bomb stuff.

Now I wanna make one! My toaster oven fits a 6x9 loaf pan nicely too...which saves on the heat caused from cranking up my huge old stove.
--

krazyboi
Premium
join:2008-06-27
Mckinney, TX
kudos:1

3 recommendations

reply to SueS

the inlaws marinated some korean bbq beef (bulgogi) so what better excuse to fire up the grill...

Cliffy
Premium
join:2003-06-29
Kitchener, ON

3 recommendations

reply to SueS
Click for full size
Apple iPhone 4S
4.2mm 1/20th F2.4 ISO64

A bacon and cheese veggie burger with a pint of Tennant's Export Lager
--
there's a fine line between a rut and a groove.

caffeinator
Premium
WA, USA
said by Cliffy:

A bacon and cheese veggie burger with a pint of Tennant's Export Lager

Ya killing me ova here! Nom Nom!!

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20

4 recommendations

reply to SueS
Click for full size
Apple iPhone 4
3.8mm 1/120th F2.8 ISO80

Kimchi Fried Rice
ate Kimchi Fried rice at an authentic korean owned grocery / fast food place...while waiting for a kid's party to finish....

paired with deviled eggs and an ice cold bottle of diet coke, while reading Tony Northrup's DSLR tips on my Asus Transformer.