Shag Diesel
Premium Member
join:2001-12-11
Patrick Afb, FL

1 edit

skyjock41

Premium Member

Dell Bios

Seems like my bios isnt loading up. From first power on a screen with Dell logo comes up. After that it would normally boot up and go to Windows XP loading screen.

Now all i get is a blinking underscore in DOS Is the bios gone?

EDIT: NM I pulled out my harddrive......noticed it was hot. Held it over the ac for a minute or 2.....plugged it back and now it works. Guess it just overheated.
skyjock41

1 edit

skyjock41

Premium Member

Ok so i left the computer off overnight after it successfully booted up yesterday. Now its back to its old tricks.

I think its got to do with the bios/bootsequence or something. I can throw in a windows disc and it will start to get all the neccessary files to start to load windows but then blue screen of death.

I have tried 2 different sata HD's and still wont recognize them or even let me try to reinstall windows on either.

Suggestions

AlphaOne
I see
Premium Member
join:2004-02-21

AlphaOne

Premium Member

You need to install the SATA drivers, during the Windows installation.
ChiTang
MVM
join:2002-08-23
Alhambra, CA

ChiTang to skyjock41

MVM

to skyjock41
As suggested, you need a SATA drive on a floppy disc during installation.

Some newer MOBO also requires XP SP2. I usually slipstream my clients XP CD with SP2.

skyjock41
Shag Diesel
Premium Member
Patrick Afb, FL

skyjock41

Premium Member

Something is definately wrong cause this computer has been working flawlessly for about 9 months.

I cant seem to figure out what to do. I try to reload windows.....and i get a blue screen of death. I went into bios to select boot sequence and devices.........thats in order and perfectly fine. I thought maybe the power supply was shot so i hooked the drive up with the same line of power the DVD Rom gets (cause the rom is working fine) and i can feel the HD spin up and it still dont work.

Only thing left is to call dell or pray someone out there knows of a fix.

AlphaOne
I see
Premium Member
join:2004-02-21

AlphaOne

Premium Member

Windows can't use(or intall on) a SATA drive it can't see. You need to install the SATA drivers during the installation (do F6 when prompted).

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC

Jahntassa to skyjock41

Premium Member

to skyjock41
Why are you guys talking about installation? The OP is saying they have a drive which was working fine, which now IS NOT. The XP CD was used to say that they can see it starting off the XP CD but then it BSODs.

You said it's a Dell, right? It might have the diagnostics partition on, so when you start it try hitting F12 and see if you have the option to boot into the diagnostics. Run those and see what it comes up with.

Also you may want to try contacting Dell support, or their forums at »support.dell.com

skyjock41
Shag Diesel
Premium Member
Patrick Afb, FL

1 edit

skyjock41

Premium Member

I have sort of been blowing it off.

At first boot up ill just get an underscore blinking. After 10 minutes or so it will give me an option to go intot he bios.

I came up tonight and right now im writing this off the defected computer. I came up and shook the mouse and the pc came out of hibernation and windows was booted up. So i know the HD isnt defective. I am afraid to reboot cause i dont think that it will reboot.

I am completely confused why this is happening. Appreciate all the help and may have to contact dell if it continues.

What this computer is doing is weird......its not your normal windows went bad or hd crashed. This is in a whole different league of dont know what to do.
ChiTang
MVM
Alhambra, CA

ChiTang to skyjock41

MVM

to skyjock41
May clear/reset CMOS for MOBO and C if it will unconfuse the MOBO.

skyjock41
Shag Diesel
Premium Member
Patrick Afb, FL

1 edit

skyjock41

Premium Member

dp
skyjock41

skyjock41 to ChiTang

Premium Member

to ChiTang
From power down to it loading windows takes about 5 minutes.

I hit power.......the bios loads. I get a blinking underscore for about 3 minutes. Then the bios will finally load. Then it pops up the windows logo with the status bar underneath. Then that dissapears and i get a blank screen for 2 minutes. Then windows appears and all is working fine.

I think my wife did something......she was messing around with a sansa player threw usb then this problem happened.

kw0
Premium Member
join:2004-06-12
New Albany, OH

kw0

Premium Member

any ideas on what the BSOD's say?

It could possibly be overheating. (as you've already mentioned).

Is the case full of dust and stuff?
ChiTang
MVM
Alhambra, CA

ChiTang to skyjock41

MVM

to skyjock41
If it takes 2 minutes from windows logo (then black screen) to windows appears, you may have some services that time out. At this point, I am not too worry about it. However, if takes 3 minutes from power on to windows logo, you may have some serious hardware problem. Did you clear/reset CMOS as I stated? If not, try it and C. If you did, then you may try to reflash the MOBO's BIOS.