spc
Search similar:

uniqs
kon16ov
join:2007-08-25
Dayton, OH

kon16ov

Lukewarm in Dayton, OH

OK, because I refuse to give any more money to TW, and we're cell-based, so the expense of getting a phone line just for DSL didn't seem to be worth it, I decided to give CW a whirl. We've had it 4 days.

I'm not sure I'm happy. Here're the positives, I've found: 1) no longer suckling the Time Warner teat, 2) relatively inexpensive, even after the 3 months, 3) painless to set up, even with the inclusion of the Netgear router (MR814V2) previously mentioned and 4) when connected, it's slick and I've not had any problems getting decent throughput in either direction.

The CONS, however, are what have me scratching my head. 1) it seems to suffer from DirectTV's original problems -- if it's cloudy, you're hosed...meaning, it's been dropping a LOT recently 2) seems to not like Dayton, although it's "in the service area" and AT BEST, I get 3 bars, mostly live in the 1... 3) seems to dislike the router inasmuch as it connects to the router, but refuses to pass the information on, even though connections with the router are fast (LAN traffic = zippy) I find it odd I have to have BOTH a wired and wireless connection to the router to get to the 'net...

I don't know if I need to go in and tweak the router, or even what REALLY to do, other than making the DNS static, as I've seen posted previously.

I guess this is more of an exposition than anything else, but I'm wondering if there are other in the Dayton area that have had better results. I guess I could blame the neighborhood -- all those old houses and the lead-based paint... I'm tempted to shot CW an e-mail asking about the connectivity...however, I may just call their "customer satisfaction" number they left when they called a half-hour after the initial purchase of the plan...probably would have been a more meaningful conversation had I actually arrived at home and set the thing up...

Thanks for listening and any thoughts are appreciated.

Phil