Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

Cabal to N3OGH

Premium Member

to N3OGH

Re: I have never in my life

said by N3OGH:

Bad analogy.

The Chinese buffet is described as "all you can eat" and not as "all you can take.

Now, if I get there at 9 AM, and gorge myself all day long, and stay until they close, there really isn't anything they can do.

If after 4 or 5 hours, they come over and give me the boot, I'm gonna be a little pissed....
You don't really exist, right? I'm starting to lose all hope for society.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs

2 recommendations

N3OGH

Premium Member

Yes, I really do exist. I also venture a guess I've done more for society in the past 10 years than you have, but I don't know you, so I won't sling arrows your way.

Like I'm actually sitting in a restaurant someplace eating for 5 hours. I believe this is the point of the discussion where I slap my forehead and say DUH.

I stand by my statement that his analogy was a bad one. He compares chaining a pickup truck to a buffet and dragging it off, to abusing your broadband internet connection.

One is a blatant, overt theft (The chain and truck thing). The other is a matter of semantics and judgement that changes from system to system.

Look, I'm not bashing Comcast. I'm not a heavy user of my internet connection, and if I download 2 songs from iTunes a month, that was a heavy month for me.

But, everyone knows it's illegal to drag a buffet away with a chain and a truck. Everyone KNOWS it's theft. Comcast doesn't tell you what the cap is, so until you violate it, you don't know.

Now if Comcast set a limit, told you not to cross it, and you repeatedly did, well then shame on you. You were forewarned and you did as you shouldn't.

Comcast has every right to regulate the use of their private network and to be sure a select few individuals aren't ruining the experience for everyone else.

But, you can't punish people for breaking rules you don't lay down. The cops can't write you a speeding ticket where the limit isn't clearly posted (in PA at least). If it's not in the contract, they can't hold you to it.'

Clearly spell it out, and put it in the contract. Then come down like a sack of rocks on the ones that don't do as they are told.

It's as easy as that...

AnotherGuy
@york.com

AnotherGuy

Anon

How is the consumer expected to keep their usage non-abusive if they don't have a definition of abuse? For the people who would define abuse as "That which causes degradation for other users", how exactly do you accomplish non-abusive use? I can tell you how I attempt to do this. I run QoS to throttle my connection back to the point where I only occasionally add 1 millisecond of latency between my cable modem and anything else. I Ping my gateway, ping Yahoo, and I am not adding latency for myself. This way, I should see the impact of my usage before any one else would.

Responsible traffic shaping at the ISP would be difficult to even notice, and would end my need to throttle my connection, which I only do to be sure I am not dragging the neighborhood down. I am a responsible netizen.

The definition of abuse needs to be stated by the ISP. If it is stated as something similar to "Don't negatively impact other users", and I am doing everything that can be done on this end of the wire to be sure I am not abusive per their definition, I should have nothing to worry about, right?

I did about 80GB of transfer this month, and I put in real effort to make sure that my usage doesn't impact anyone negatively, using everything I can use on my end of the wire. Someone tell me, am I abusing my connection? If so, explain to me how I would go about knowing if I was abusing it, beyond what I am already doing.

And why should I bother when my ISP won't help?