spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Balanced_Cynic
@wideopenwest.com

Balanced_Cynic

Anon

Removing face plate of a Compaq Presario PC

Ok the answer to my question may be so obvious I am missing it. I am trying to install a new DVD drive to my PC but having one little problem. I can't remove the face plate without worrying I am gonna break something.I've removed the side cover and see a green release tab. That releases the top of the face plate. HOWEVER, the bottom is still frustratingly secured. I think it looks as though it's a "snap-in" piece but Still worried I am gonna break the damn thing. The only way to slide the new drive in is through the front. Can anyone please help this technically impaired individual????
Thanx
jeckler
join:2005-04-11
Mesa, AZ

jeckler

There's probably hundreds of different Compaq Presario models, so more info is needed.
gallowsroad
join:2004-08-09
Kansas City, KS

1 edit

gallowsroad to Balanced_Cynic

to Balanced_Cynic
Is it one of those with the snap open CD holder on the bottom of the front face?

If so, open that. At the top feel with your fingers and you'll find two holes. Use these to gently put upward pressure and then pull toward you, and the entire face plate will pop off. This drove me nuts on an old Presario 5000US I was fixing until I figured it out.

Pretty sure you have to "unlock" the faceplate first from inside the machine, then do as I've outlined.

Be gentle.

EDIT: Model info would be very helpful for a question like this, FYI.

Balanced_cynic
@wideopenwest.com

Balanced_cynic to jeckler

Anon

to jeckler
OH MY GOD!!!!! Sometimes some of us do something so stupid, we have no explanation for. And as I posted in my original question, the answer could be so obvious I am overlooking it. Yes I found how to get it open. I hope at least this will help future people who have these brain-farts (as I like to call them) who might run into similar situations. Of course I opened the side panel to which I found a green tab that releases the top portion of the face plate. Now there are four (4) tabs in the inside front panel that need to be pressed aside to unhook the bottom portion. A simple thing as just pressing aside the tabs and I spent hours trying to open the damn thing. I even went as far to call HP for guidance. What a waste of time there. They actually offered their assistance only if I renewed the warranty for another year at the price of $99.99. OR for a one-time tech-support issue, the charge would be $50.00. Seeing how I would sooner break the face cover off then pay either amount, I hung up. Scanned the internet some more, until I finally stepped away, watched a movie, got some munchies and then looked inside again. Just then the sun broke through the clouds and illuminated the answer. I swear birds began to sing and I heard an angel choir. Along with a huge "SLAP" from my hand smacking against my head. To add insult to injury, on the inside bottom of the case once I pushed aside the wires, there was instructions and a diagram that showed how to remove the face plate.
In closing I do appreciate those who offered their attempt to assist a Charlie Brown like me. I guess this goes to show the simplest of answers to problems can be seen with a cleared head.

Greg_Z
Premium Member
join:2001-08-08
Springfield, IL

Greg_Z to Balanced_Cynic

Premium Member

to Balanced_Cynic
Actually, if you would of gone to their site, or looked at the CD that came with it, instructions are right there. But yes, if you break the plastic tabs, you might as well let it stay looking ghetto, or somehow rig to keep the faceplate on.
gallowsroad
join:2004-08-09
Kansas City, KS

gallowsroad to Balanced_cynic

to Balanced_cynic
said by Balanced_cynic :

Just then the sun broke through the clouds and illuminated the answer. I swear birds began to sing and I heard an angel choir.
Now if they had been singing the "Psalm For Four Tabs" I'd be really impressed.

Glad you got it sorted.