spc
Search similar:

uniqs

CyberAkuma
@sbcglobal.net

CyberAkuma

Anon

About getting a DVR yourself.

My cousin got Comcast a few months ago internet and cable tv. He told me that they were having a deal to rent a DVR for 1.99 more than a cable box.

I know that deal is long gone now but I called them, they said it would cost 11.99, since it was replacing one of my cable boxes anyway it would be about an extra 6-7 a month, I agreed. They scheduled me over a week from now and told me it will also cost around $35 for the install fee.

However, the next day my cousin told me that he simply went into a comcast store and rented the DVR from there and hooked it up himself.

Is it possible to actually do this? I highly doubt plugging in a DVR will be that much harder than plugging in a VCR or my crazy dvd recorder setup that lets me record from my tv, consoles, or pc. It would help me get it much sooner and have me not pay the install fee. And would I be able to return my cable box that the DVR is replacing to the same place?

Also, my cousin told me that his DVR has an option that lets you record to a DVD in case its getting full, but when I was on the phone with the rep they told me there is no way to put the stored shows on the DVR on a DVD. Can I or no?

Finally, I tried looking at Comcast's site but all the store locater gave me were Best Buy and Circuit City locations, no actual comcast centers. How do I find one?

Thanks in advance.

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member
join:2001-12-28
Panama City, FL

goober22

Many locations do let customers pick up and install equipment, mine does. Then again, many do not. It depends on your area.

Locally, if a tech installs a HD/DVR, they charge a $25 fee BUT I can have a basic install with a plain digital box for free and then run that box down and swap it out for a hd/dvr at no charge. Again, areas are different.

Both Motorola and SA have units that can record out to a dvd but I do not know or have heard of any areas that have them "in the field" yet. Both are very new.

As far as sites, it sounds like you found sites that sell the internet kit. Try going to comcast.com again and follow the payment center or contact/local office link to get a local Comcast center (or just look it up in the phone book).

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger to CyberAkuma

Premium Member

to CyberAkuma
You can not rent dvrs from Bestbuy. You have to by them then they probably Be the tivo. Some area will let you install your dvr yourshelf some area won't. You will have to find a Comcast center in your area to find out.
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41 to goober22

Premium Member

to goober22
said by goober22:

Many locations do let customers pick up and install equipment, mine does. Then again, many do not. It depends on your area.

Locally, if a tech installs a HD/DVR, they charge a $25 fee BUT I can have a basic install with a plain digital box for free and then run that box down and swap it out for a hd/dvr at no charge. Again, areas are different.

Both Motorola and SA have units that can record out to a dvd but I do not know or have heard of any areas that have them "in the field" yet. Both are very new.

Any model numbers? Have not heard anything using motorola that will output on to a dvd

ajwees41

As far as sites, it sounds like you found sites that sell the internet kit. Try going to comcast.com again and follow the payment center or contact/local office link to get a local Comcast center (or just look it up in the phone book).

CyberAkuma
@sbcglobal.net

CyberAkuma to Caddyroger

Anon

to Caddyroger
said by Caddyroger:

You can not rent dvrs from Bestbuy. You have to by them then they probably Be the tivo. Some area will let you install your dvr yourshelf some area won't. You will have to find a Comcast center in your area to find out.
Yes I know, I wasn't expecting them to let me rent it, this is why I brought it up.

Also, what about returning my cablebox if my location allows me to pick my DVR up from there?

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

said by CyberAkuma :
said by Caddyroger:

Yes I know, I wasn't expecting them to let me rent it, this is why I brought it up.

Also, what about returning my cablebox if my location allows me to pick my DVR up from there?
You can if your area allows it. In my area you can if you have service extablished.

billy870
@comcast.net

billy870 to CyberAkuma

Anon

to CyberAkuma
in pa you can ge tthe box yourself, and it might work for a while....but without knowing the signal level and upstream, it might not work for long, if u start to have problems after the install call tor a tc and get the spp so u dont have a chanrge cuz most of the times its a problem in the house, old splitters, copper 59 that kind of stuff.....but in most areas u can ge tthe box at the cable office and see what happens

CyberAkuma
@comcast.net

CyberAkuma

Anon

said by billy870:

in pa you can ge tthe box yourself, and it might work for a while....but without knowing the signal level and upstream, it might not work for long, if u start to have problems after the install call tor a tc and get the spp so u dont have a chanrge cuz most of the times its a problem in the house, old splitters, copper 59 that kind of stuff.....but in most areas u can ge tthe box at the cable office and see what happens
I meant renting the box from a Comcast center, not buying my own DVR.
cls55
join:2002-08-25
Trenton, NJ

cls55

said by CyberAkuma :

I meant renting the box from a Comcast center, not buying my own DVR.
Most likely, you want to go to the payment center and pick up a DVR...I've done this a few times. You should probably call the 1800 number first to see if you can do this in your area.

»www.comcast.com/Localiza ··· x&area=0

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member
join:2001-12-28
Panama City, FL

goober22 to ajwees41

to ajwees41
"Any model numbers? Have not heard anything using motorola that will output on to a dvd

ajwees41"

Hmmmmmm. Here's links to both. I thought the Moto could burn as well but it looks like it only plays. The SA says it can burn but info is scarce on the site. It's possible they have dropped plans for it.

SA MCP-100:
»www.sciatl.com/products/ ··· -dvd.htm
»www.audioholics.com/news ··· rototype
SA PDF:
»www.sciatl.com/products/ ··· 551A.pdf

Moto:
»broadband.motorola.com/d ··· 022d.asp