Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

nate2073

join:2007-09-05
Helena, MT

New to Bresnan with 2 questions

Hi I just signed up for Bresnan cable Internet and I would like to know if Bresnan has any caps and if Bresnan plays nice with bittorrent.

yuutomo
The Wonder Kitter
Premium
join:2001-08-27
Missoula, MT
i had them and did not notice either. I will say do not own your own modem or they'll try making you pay them a fee if and when you disconnect for a modem you supposedly rented.
--
"The World is but a drop in the sea of time and space, and I am the current that flows through it" -Yuu Tomo (21st Century)

nate2073

Helena, MT
Thanks very much for replying. Helpful to know.

yuutomo
The Wonder Kitter
Premium
Missoula, MT
no problem, if you need any help, I'm in the Missoula area and do PC/MAC and network troubleshooting.

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
join:2005-11-06
Powell, WY
reply to yuutomo
We are moving to Powell, Wyoming next summer and I am looking into internet providers to bridge the gap until TCT West can get internet piped through the municipal FTTP that they are going to be putting in sometime next year.

We already own our own cable modem (Motorola SB5120), would you recommend we use that, or rent one from Bresnan? Another option I am looking at is DSL through Qwest, but I have heard some interesting stories about them...

yuutomo
The Wonder Kitter
Premium
Missoula, MT
reply to nate2073
I'd recommend if you own your own, to not let the techs write down the mac id or any info on any of the paperwork. they did that and have been claiming that they own my modem, it was mysteriously in their inventory while I owned it, and was rented out while it sat in my storage building.

Tychicus
Children are our most precious resource
Premium
join:2002-01-18
Helena, MT
reply to nate2073
I have been with Bresnan since they bought out comcrap and for a while I had two teenage sons at home and they were constantly downloading stuff using bit torrent lime wire deals plus, we were running a couple of web sites at the time with a lot of ftp stuff going on too and never had any trouble or complaints.
--
Team Discovery

nate2073

Helena, MT
reply to nate2073
Been loving my Bresnan connection. Works great with Bittorrent. Thanks for all the replies. Now we just need even more speed on upload.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
We have their 15Mbps/1Mbps package and it's definitely worth it. It's an extra $10/mo though.

jacksongirl

@bresnan.net
I just signed up for the extra speed for 10$ and I have to say I am only getting 1mb more... (from 8 to 9)
hmmmm.

TeamGai

join:2007-06-10
Cheyenne, WY
Have you done the correct tweaks?? If you haven't then you'll see a major degrade in speed in comparison to what you're supposed to be getting. That's what i was getting on my other computer when it wasn't tweaked right, then afterwards, it was getting perfect speeds.

jacksongirl

@bresnan.net
what tweaks are those.
I am on a mac running osx

cablegeek01

join:2003-05-13
USA
kudos:1
said by jacksongirl :

what tweaks are those.
I am on a mac running osx
»www.speedguide.net/faq_i ··· &qid=129
may help you out a bit.
What bresnan market (city) are you in?

nate2073

Helena, MT
reply to nate2073
Well I called Bresnan and asked for faster speed and I got it. Apparently in Helena they don't advertise the faster upgrade package. I had the 8/384 and I am now at 15/1. If you have friends/family you may want to tell them about the 15/1 package as I don't see it in the IR or on TV.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
You want to ask about their Speed Plus package which is 15mbps/1mbps for an extra $10/mo, but only if they offer the 8mbps/384kbps package in that area.

nate2073

Helena, MT
said by Simba7:

You want to ask about their Speed Plus package which is 15mbps/1mbps for an extra $10/mo, but only if they offer the 8mbps/384kbps package in that area.
Well I don't have TV service so when I went to my mothers house I saw that they were advertising the faster speed. In Helena it's now official you can get the 15mbps/1mbps.

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
join:2005-11-06
Powell, WY
Does anyone know if Bresnan in Powell offers the 15/1 tier? I looked on their site, but I don't really see anyplace to check if its available without actually purchasing it. I am not even 100% sure Bresnan offers 8/384 in Powell...

nate2073

Helena, MT
said by koolkid1563:

Does anyone know if Bresnan in Powell offers the 15/1 tier? I looked on their site, but I don't really see anyplace to check if its available without actually purchasing it. I am not even 100% sure Bresnan offers 8/384 in Powell...
You need to call them on the phone and ask what speeds are available. The telephone is your friend.