spc
Search similar:

uniqs

VictorVito
@charter.com

VictorVito

Anon

2Wire 2701HG-B and Buffalo WHR-G54S

I currently have my cable modem connected to a Buffalo router and I have a 2nd Buffalo router acting as a wireless bridge for a bunch of CE devices.

I just switched to ATT DSL and it came with a 2WIRE 2701HG-B Router which I'm thinking I really didn't need. I could have just used a DSL modem and continued to use my Buffalo routers.

Does anyone know if I can still use my two Buffalo routers and just use this 2Wire as a modem?
ColonelPanic
join:2007-03-06
Beverly Hills, CA

ColonelPanic

If you want to use your 2wire gateway as just a Modem I would recommend putting the 2wire gateway in bridge mode »2 Wire »Bridging the 2wire and PPPoE (Disabling Router)

NOTE: Since you are on AT&T DSL you will most likely need to configure one of your Routers to connect via PPPoE once your 2wire is bridged.

VictorVito
@sbcglobal.net

VictorVito

Anon

Thanks, I was able to set up the connection in about 10 minutes thanks to your directions. When I set up the PPPoE connection in my router, I didn't know what service name to use so I left it blank and that didn't seem to effect the connection.

I did note something odd. After switching to this method of connection I lost some download and upload speed.

I was getting 5120/640 before and now I'm getting 4987/571 consistently. Is this due to the connection type, ie. versus DHCP?
VictorVito

VictorVito

Anon

Actually, I think both routers would have used PPPoE so I should ask is there an expected loss of speed when configuring the 2Wire in this fashion with another router?

I didn't check latency although I did feel like there may have been increased latency once I configured the router in bridge mode.