All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

nimag
@dsl.bell.ca

nimag

Anon

Is EVERY sympatico a/c bandwidth capped now??

Hi. Have been with Sympatico for more than a year now. When we signed up it was for high speed with unlimited bandwidth. But we were on a 1.5meg profile because that's all our line could take. Yesterday we found out through billing that now apparently we're able to get upto 16megs if we wanted because Bell upgraded their wiring or must have installed something very close to our location, etc. So we're upgrading to their 7meg service but we'll be paying full price now as opposed to before. However they said it would be with a 60gb bandwidth cap even though originally we signed up for unlimited. When I asked about this, the lady said that ALL Sympatico accounts are now bandwidth-capped even if you signed up with unlimited bandwidth originally. So basically ANYBODY using Sympatico starting at the end of last month will be bandwidth capped??

Is this true? If so, will doing this upgrade take away my unlimited bandwidth I originally signed up for? Would anybody in the know please advise? Because if a user signed up originally for unlimited and they can still keep it, I would much rather have that. Or should I believe this lady who told me that Bell no longer has unlimited BW for ANYBODY? Should I re-check with technical support and cancel this upgrade? Thanks very much for any help!
nimag

nimag

Anon

Oh btw, just to add-on:

I was told that our line is now capable of upto 16megs even though previously 1.5meg is all we could handle. I checked the SNR and Attenuation levels in the DSL stat page and I found the SNR = 9.5 and Attenuation = 63.5. This has been pretty constant for a long while now. Shouldn't these numbers be better if my line can support a better connection? When I asked about this, the lady said it was because of my modem and that they have newer better modems now. She mentioned Lucent or something as opposed to SpeedStream, which is what we have now. Is that the reason the stats are still bad? Anyhoo please advise if this makes sense or not. Thanks so much for any help. It's much appreciated.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to nimag

to nimag
said by nimag :

When I asked about this, the lady said that ALL Sympatico accounts are now bandwidth-capped even if you signed up with unlimited bandwidth originally. So basically ANYBODY using Sympatico starting at the end of last month will be bandwidth capped??
Not true. Many users have an unlimited usage, myself included.
Is this true? If so, will doing this upgrade take away my unlimited bandwidth I originally signed up for?
Yes.
DKS

DKS to nimag

to nimag
said by nimag :

Oh btw, just to add-on:

I was told that our line is now capable of upto 16megs even though previously 1.5meg is all we could handle. I checked the SNR and Attenuation levels in the DSL stat page and I found the SNR = 9.5 and Attenuation = 63.5. This has been pretty constant for a long while now. Shouldn't these numbers be better if my line can support a better connection?
Indeed they should. With that SNR and Attenuation, 1.5 meg down is about right. However, if you go to the 16 meg speed they may move you to a remote, which will allow those speeds.
When I asked about this, the lady said it was because of my modem and that they have newer better modems now. She mentioned Lucent or something as opposed to SpeedStream, which is what we have now. Is that the reason the stats are still bad? Anyhoo please advise if this makes sense or not. Thanks so much for any help. It's much appreciated.
She is badly (and wrongly) informed. There is no way any modem can increase speed. A modem is basically a dumb device. Speed is set by the line card in the CO. A modem may help in marginal situations, that that's about it.
djforumsguy
join:2004-10-03
Hamilton, ON

djforumsguy to nimag

to nimag
Old customers like me, still have unlimited bandwidth.

nimag
@dsl.bell.ca

nimag to nimag

Anon

to nimag
Damn. I guess this lady slyly told me everything I wanted to hear so I would upgrade and give up my unlimited bandwidth account. I originally signed up for High Speed so if my area is NOW capable of higher speeds I can accept that and will pay for that too. But I shouldn't have to give up the unlimited bw I originally signed up for. Anyhoo I thank you all for your replies. I will now have to make more calls to sort this out and undo the upgrade stuff before it's too late. Thanks again.

Bellunder
@teksavvy.com

Bellunder to djforumsguy

Anon

to djforumsguy
My guess is once Ted or rogers if he ever gets his system working properly so they can soak people for extra bandwidth which they haven't done yet then at that point in time i'd say it's a lead pipe cinch everyone at sympatico will then be capped. Sympatico always follows Ted's lead. Maybe if level 3 declares chapter 11 then the rest of the world will ask why is Canada the only country that caps internet users.

Deadpool0
Go Sens Go
Premium Member
join:2001-03-29
Canada

Deadpool0

Premium Member

said by Bellunder :

Maybe if level 3 declares chapter 11 then the rest of the world will ask why is Canada the only country that caps internet users.
Maybe you should get more educated on the world. Some ISP's in the US have caps and throttling now as well.

Bellunder
@teksavvy.com

Bellunder

Anon

America is a free enterprise economy whereas Canada is a lost cause to put it mildly. Any company that caps in America will soon go out of business. Judging by the action in level 3's share price bandwidth prices are going sharply lower and level 3 is headed for bankruptcy.
mjbad21
join:2004-08-27
HeHeHe

mjbad21

said by Bellunder :

America is a free enterprise economy whereas Canada is a lost cause to put it mildly. Any company that caps in America will soon go out of business. Judging by the action in level 3's share price bandwidth prices are going sharply lower and level 3 is headed for bankruptcy.
I hate( Those people)when people say Canada is lost cause.
They have no clue what they are saying. Posting displeasure can be understood to a limit. Please let me know which have gone out of business because of cap. I am sure most of "gone" are not because of cap but their greedy and unrealistic expansions, approach.

Deadpool0
Go Sens Go
Premium Member
join:2001-03-29
Canada

Deadpool0 to Bellunder

Premium Member

to Bellunder
said by Bellunder :

Is this bohn? Certainly sounds like him or his twin! LOL

Can you enlighten us as to how share prices determine bandwidth pricing?
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx to nimag

Premium Member

to nimag
My account is still has unlimited usage.

As mentioned by others, long time Sympatico users who haven't come off a contract, and/or made tier changes to their account recently should still have unlimited usage included in their service.

Zero Gravity
Next to Arch Stanton
Premium Member
join:2002-04-30
Top Floor

Zero Gravity to nimag

Premium Member

to nimag
I'm another uncapped user. Still on Ultra.
LNahid20007
join:2002-06-22
Brampton, ON

LNahid20007 to nimag

to nimag
I've had unlimited on my account for the last 2 years. In addition, I just signed up for their student offer at my new apartment and that is unlimited as well at 7mbps.

rizzler
join:2004-07-07
canada

rizzler

Also unlimited.

nimag
@dsl.bell.ca

nimag to nimag

Anon

to nimag
Good to know that you're all still on unlimited if you haven't changed anything. I have NO idea why this lady would say that EVERY user is now suddenly capped at 30 or 60 or 100gb starting end of last month. She said that Bell just didn't inform anybody about the change even though it has taken place or whatever. And I even mentioned that in the call but she just chalked it upto Bell not getting around to it or whatever. I'm just astounded why she would say that if it wasn't true. Now I have to call back and undo all the changes she made me sign up for so I can continue on unlimited. Ugh!!!!!

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

The lady told you this because she didn't know any better.

Don't call to undo the changes ... call and complain loud and long (but politely) that you want to carry on with unlimited because you were misled by this woman.

Call and ask to speak with the retention desk.

Ignite
Premium Member
join:2004-03-18
UK

Ignite to nimag

Premium Member

to nimag
Have to admit your caps and prices scare me a little bit.

I guess it's how Canada boasts such a high 'average' broadband speed. Try actually using it or using the wrong protocols and you get nailed.

Have to keep the bandwidth free to keep the speedtests high
accusync
join:2004-07-16
Rigaud, QC

accusync to nimag

to nimag
said by nimag :

.....I have NO idea why this lady would say that EVERY user is now suddenly capped at 30 or 60 or 100gb starting end of last month. She said that Bell just didn't inform anybody about the change even though it has taken place or whatever........ I'm just astounded why she would say that if it wasn't true.
Several points....

Firstly I had cancelled Sympatico in June due to support issues. After I had the resolved I would have gone back to bell as I had been on Ultra Unlimited, but alas the new plans had kicked in and I was only offered a capped service. So I am staying put with Teksavvy.

Secondly.... I went on a mad dash this morning to circuit city and finally the bell stores in search of DSL filters. My spare is dead for my 2nd line. In Montreal west island including Fairview I visited 6 stores and no one had DSL filters in stock. However while waiting at one of the Bell Boutiques I heard a young lad explaining the new Sympatico services to a couple. I listened and rolled my eyes and when they had signed up I mentioned that some research was in order and suggested that they write down Kevin Crull's email address. The older gent who was working at the store than went over to the couple and reviewed and corrected their impression.

Bellunder
@teksavvy.com

Bellunder to Deadpool0

Anon

to Deadpool0
Insider buying and selling of any certain stock. Momentum figures and momentum shifts. If you check level 3 is the number one shorted stock on the NASDAQ. They sell bandwidth. To give you analogy when a gold corporation sells gold their profits are tied into the world price of gold assuming they don't hedge the price of gold. When the price of gold goes up their profits go up and their share price goes up. Level 3 is on a one-way street downward meaning the price of bandwidth is dropping and the people shorting the stock are betting bandwidth prices will fall further into the future.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to nimag

Mod

to nimag
America is NOT a free enterprise economy in reality. Free enterprise is supposed to mean "Let the market forces determine a company's success". The problem is that's not what's happening. What happens is all too often based on corruption, and greed. Instead of healthy competition, it's called "buy out your competition" with leveraged buyouts where the thing you purchase has to pay for itself. So that way if the thing you bought doesn't turn out OK in your business, it costs you nothing to speak of (in relative terms) if it collapses, because you have put the cost of buying it back on itself. We're starting to see too much of this in Canada too now.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

1 edit

Kardinal to Deadpool0

Mod

to Deadpool0
said by Deadpool0:
said by Bellunder :

Is this bohn? Certainly sounds like him or his twin!
Ding ding ding! Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner! Thanks DP.....I was trying to figure out who "Bellunder" was as his posting style of random nonsense seemed familiar but I couldn't put my finger on who it was.

Back on topic....

Still on unlimited too.

[edit = added text, fixed typo]

CigaR4
Premium Member
join:2004-08-24

CigaR4 to nimag

Premium Member

to nimag
Still on the unlimited profile.

I'm not a big downloader anyways. I average about 15-20 GB combined per month, but if they ever limit my download in any way, it's bye bye.
TFArchive
Premium Member
join:2003-02-03
Gloucester, ON

TFArchive to nimag

Premium Member

to nimag
I'm on unlimited as well, and my contract expired in July but they are still charging me the old rate ($35) with no cap .

chewy
@dsl.bell.ca

chewy to nimag

Anon

to nimag
im on unlimited too...and my contract ends July next year.
Craig M
join:2007-09-08
Toronto, ON

Craig M to nimag

to nimag
I was an unlucky one that got a cap dropped on his account for no reason whatsoever. Just at the beginning of July I was moved to one of the new capped plans.

Pretty sure it was a CSR trying to fix my billing which has been completely messed up for the last few months (see my other post for details)