spc
uniqs
codemonkey2
join:2002-10-13
Oakland, CA

codemonkey2 to CC7

to CC7

Re: [Modem] Using Linksys router with SpeedStream 4100 B

Okay I need some help from the experts. Basically identical problem that CC described.

I have a Linksys WRT54G v2.0 that I have used without issue for several years with a Speedstream 5360. The 5360 died (the dreaded all leds - except power - blink). I ordered a Siemens 4100b to replace it.

Short story - plug the ethernet from the new modem into a computer; works like a charm. plug the ethernet into the router; nada.

Longer version - With PPPoE on the modem and the router set to DHCP the router status page shows what looks like reasonable WAN IP and gateway addresses. The DNS gets set to 192.168.0.1. DNS resolution doesn't work and I can't ping internet addresses (using dotted-quad) from PC.

With PPPoE on the router, again the WAN IP and gateway addresses look reasonable. I get 2 DNS server addresses that look reasonable. DNS resolution does work, but I still can't ping internet addresses.

At this point I suspect either the modem is specifically preventing the packets from reaching the internet (detecting that there is a router/NAT) or that there is some low level issue between my version of the linksys and this modem. By the way, I have the firmware for my hardware version of the WRT54G - I beleive it is 4.21.

Any suggestions welcome.

--Jeff

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV

d_l

MVM

This set up method doesn't work?»/faq/12670
tonydi
Premium Member
join:2001-05-11
San Jose, CA

tonydi to codemonkey2

Premium Member

to codemonkey2
If the setup outlined in the FAQ that d_l See Profile gave you doesn't work, with the modem doing the PPPoE, try doing a hardware reset on the Linksys and then configure it again.
codemonkey2
join:2002-10-13
Oakland, CA

codemonkey2 to d_l

to d_l
Click for full size
Router Status
I tried this and it didn't work either. Again I got DNS but still cannot ping WAN addresses. Cannot get the modem config page either

--Jeff
codemonkey2

codemonkey2 to tonydi

to tonydi
I'll give it a try tonight and let you know how it goes...

--Jeff

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV

1 edit

d_l to codemonkey2

MVM

to codemonkey2
Do you use a software firewall such as ZoneAlarm or XP's firewall? Those programs must be configured to trust the modem's IP at 192.168.0.1.

Also your router's subnet mask should be set to 255.255.255.0. Edit: This is for the LAN setting.

You might try setting the login type to static IP (instead of automatic) and:
192.168.1.64 for the IP address
255.255.0.0 for the subnet mask
192.168.0.1 for the default gateway
192.168.0.1 for DNS server.

Not sure if that will make a difference though, but some Linksys routers have an appearance of "locking up" when receiving the DHCP address from the modem if the public IP passthrough is used. It takes 10 minutes of waiting or a modem reset to fix this.

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

1 edit

wayjac to codemonkey2

MVM

to codemonkey2
Make sure you change the routers default lan IP address to 192.168.2.5 and reboot all computers using DHCP.

Wan Lan Settings