how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

whocares0
Premium
join:2003-07-26

Seattle man arrested in online file-sharing identity theft

SEATTLE — A Seattle man has been arrested in what federal authorities described as their first case against someone accused of using file-sharing computer programs to commit identity theft.

Gregory Thomas Kopiloff used "peer-to-peer" file-sharing programs to troll other computers for financial information that he then used to open credit cards for an online shopping spree, according to an indictment unsealed Thursday.

Kopiloff bought more than $73,000 worth of goods online, then resold those items at steep discounts and kept the proceeds, according to the four-count indictment. He bought such items as an iPod, earphones and a hard drive.

He was arrested Wednesday and is charged with mail fraud, accessing a protected computer, and two counts of aggravated identity theft. Authorities allege he victimized at least 83 people.

Kopiloff was scheduled to make his initial court appearance Thursday afternoon in U.S. District Court. It was not immediately known if he had obtained a lawyer.

"If you are running file-sharing software, you are giving criminals the keys to your computer," said assistant U.S. attorney Kathryn Warma. "Criminals are getting access to incredibly valuable information."

Though people have been prosecuted for using peer-to-peer networks to share copyrighted music, movies and software, the Justice Department called this case the first in what experts say is an equally — if not more — troubling matter.

Each day, computer users inadvertently share sensitive files through such programs, from banking statements to legal documents, says Robert Boback, chief executive of Tiversa Inc., a Pennsylvania firm that monitors file-sharing.

Typically it occurs when a user downloads the file-sharing software and accidentally allows it to share all files on a computer, rather than just the music files.

Boback was scheduled to speak at a U.S. attorney's office news conference on Kopiloff's case Thursday.

According to the indictment, Kopiloff began using Limewire and Soulseek — free file-sharing programs available on the Internet — about 2 1/2 years ago to search for people who had inadvertently allowed access to their sensitive files.

Kopiloff also obtained some sensitive information the old-fashioned way, from associates who would steal mail or go "Dumpster diving" for discarded financial records, the indictment said.

The purchased items were shipped to a UPS store, hotels or post office boxes in western Washington, it said.

»www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/tec···541.html
--
That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am,and don't bother with those that ONLY know how to hurt.

Plasticman
Will Work For Bandwidth
Premium
join:2002-09-06
Johnston, RI

I read that on king5.com Thank god I don't use p2p applications.

Plasticman

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

If you don't know how to secure P2P applications, you shouldn't be using them. Part of the blame belongs on those who leave themselves wide open in their haste to download as much as possible as fast as possible rather than taking the time to learn how to secure the programs first.

Sharing your entire HD.....STELLAR idea!
--
JIHAD WATCH~~9416 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

n1zuk
making really tiny tech things
Premium
join:2001-10-24
Malta
kudos:2

said by La Luna:

Sharing your entire HD.....STELLAR idea!
Of course. The more you have to share, the more favorable download slot you get!
--
New to Forum Life? Click here and learn.

whocares0
Premium
join:2003-07-26

I DO NOT try to use P2P, IF I have a program or a movie or article or link that might help someone or someone wants a program,ect ect i have , I'll send it to them either in a I.M,email or by US mail.

Where is Rob A?
Premium
join:2006-03-23
Eagle River, AK

1 recommendation

What works best for mailing links? Fedex or UPS?

JammerMan79
Premium,VIP
join:2004-05-13
Prince George, BC
kudos:10
reply to whocares0

"charged with mail fraud, accessing a protected computer, and two counts of aggravated identity theft"

""If you are running file-sharing software, you are giving criminals the keys to your computer," said assistant U.S. attorney Kathryn Warma"

Uhhh.. does this make any sense?
The person has permitted access to the computer and specifically those files.
I'm not by any means condoning any of his actions, it's just that this charge seems stupid.
--
I may work for, but do not necessarily represent the views and beliefs of TELUS Communications.

Rifleman
Premium
join:2004-02-09
p1a
reply to whocares0

Fire uplimewire or shareaza and do a search for tax return. It is scary how ignorant some PC users are.

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable
reply to JammerMan79

said by JammerMan79:

"charged with mail fraud, accessing a protected computer, and two counts of aggravated identity theft"

Uhhh.. does this make any sense?
The person has permitted access to the computer and specifically those files.
I'll guess the computer in question wasn't one of the file sharing machines but one of the machines he used the stolen credentials to log onto such as Paypal etc...

JammerMan79
Premium,VIP
join:2004-05-13
Prince George, BC
kudos:10

That make more sense.. thanks.