Ryan
Premium Member
join:2001-03-03
Boston, MA

Ryan to JDA

Premium Member

to JDA

Re: Washington Post: Shutting Down Big Downloaders

One thing I do understand that they have a right to impose limits, but the way broadband it handled right now in most areas it just sickens me. For one thing my area Attleboro which was also mentioned in the news article use to have diverse cable providers. Attleboro had media one then went to at&t and north attleboro had time warner I beleive. Same with the surrounding towns. Then comcast comes and munches everything up and start imposing limits and everything else. Of course comcast is now in bed with the politicians and government in southern-mass making fios growth a standstill. The way comcast works just urks me. If they want a monoply then they need to provide services and not screw with the consumer. Yes its cheaper to just axe higher bandwidth users then expand their network, but they wanted to buy all these areas then support what you bought. Luckly for me 150gb is plenty since im the only one who puts the strain on the network. Other members just do basic web browsing. If I had any kids or anything with the ammount of music videos and you tube videos there are out there now, im sure that would be eaten like nothing.

b1gdr3
I Blame Your Mother
join:2001-07-28
York, PA

b1gdr3

said by Ryan:

Of course comcast is now in bed with the politicians and government in southern-mass making fios growth a standstill.
Any proof of this? I'm sure there are news organizations there in Massachusetts that would love to hear about it.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 edit

NormanS to Ryan

MVM

to Ryan
said by Ryan:

One thing I do understand that they have a right to impose limits, but the way broadband it handled right now in most areas it just sickens me. For one thing my area Attleboro which was also mentioned in the news article use to have diverse cable providers. Attleboro had media one then went to at&t and north attleboro had time warner I beleive. Same with the surrounding towns. Then comcast comes and munches everything up...
It is my understanding that AT&T bought Comcast. Well, the AT&T that David Dorman shed, anyway. AT&T Broadband Internet was spun off from the rest of AT&T by David Dorman; who went on to get eaten up by SBC.

I was told that ATTBI bought Comcast, then changed the company name to Comcast.
Of course comcast is now in bed with the politicians and government in southern-mass making fios growth a standstill.
That makes absolutely no sense. FiOS is at a standstill because FTTP is a capital intensive project. SBC (now AT&T) knew this, and elected to only use FTTP for new communities; deploying FTTN in older neighborhoods.

Comcast is not nearly as wedded to politicians as SBC was (and AT&T now is). Everybody knew that one particular Louisiana representative in the U.S. Congress was just an SBC lapdog.

Edit: Changed "FTTH" to "FTTN". AT&T "U-Verse" mostly rides on FTTN.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Ryan
Premium Member
Boston, MA

Ryan

Premium Member

Well someone up there is really trying to stop the competition and it already has been in local news. One specific thing was the police for road work. Police have to be present in mass during any roadwork and get paid very well. Comcast's costs are paid by the town, yet verizon was forced to pay up if they decided to lay fiber. There are a few other fishy things going on these I wont bring up because I dont have proof and is more word of mouth.

As for attbi and comcast maybe your right comcast was bought by attbi although why would they change to comcasts name? Either way there were no bandwidth limits when i had media one or attbi.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

no, comcast bought attbi

Ryan
Premium Member
Boston, MA

Ryan

Premium Member

said by rody_44:

no, comcast bought attbi
Yup

»money.cnn.com/2001/12/19 ··· dex.htm#

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 edit

NormanS

MVM

Well, I can ask six different Comcast uses, and get eight different answers. And my Google results were quite unclear, as well; probably poorly defined search terms. Definitely could find where AT&T (post Consent Decree) split itself up further.

OTOH, Comcast never had to deal with PUCs, and local politicians only cost peanuts. At least I can't find anybody like former Rep. Billy Tauzin (R.LA), who was in the hip pockets of the Bells; especially Bellsouth and SBC (which are now one, operating as, "AT&T").