uniqs
share rss forum feed

dbuth
My Circadian Rhythm Leans To The Night

join:2001-12-23
Turlock, CA

4 edits

Solved- Once again download speeds are slower than dial-up

Please note: This issue has been resolved: The solution was apparently the Dish Network installer plugged the reciever into the DSL port on the filter instead of the phone port. Notice what it did to the DSL line's performance. The original poster and david thought it would be good to share with everyone as to what caused the modem to do this.

Beachboy solved the last problem of slow download speeds about 6 weeks ago. My friend Dave once again has the problem of slower than dial-up download speed on his DSL service. he upload is fine at better than 500k. The download is testing at 26 to 33k instead of 1.5 or 3.0mbps.

Dave asks me for a solution of which I have none. I have checked the phone cords and CAT-5 cables. The modem is fine and passes the tests I run at 192.16.0.1 see below.

Statistics

ADSL Information
Line State UP
Modulation G.dmt
Data Path fast

To Modem To Internet
Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3008 512
SN Margin (dB) 10.0 -
Line Attenuation (dB) 27.0 -
Loss of Signal 0 -
Loss of Frame 0 0
CRC Errors 38957 161

Thanks,

Darrin
"dbuth"
--
"A friend is someone who knows everything about you and is still your friend."

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice

Re: [TROUBLE] Once again download speeds are slower than dial-up

Click for full size
downloadlinestats.pdf 39,464 bytes
I would say based on the line stats report either a filter went bad, modem just died, or the RT did. I would see if a different modem responds better. Basically the modem and the DSLAM are pretty much denying him any type of service what so ever. If 900 seconds=15 minutes I would say at most he had maybe 30 seconds to a few minutes of useable internet at most.

dbuth

Turlock, CA

David,

I will try changing filters tomorrow (Thursday) as well swap my old modem for his new one. If I still see no improvement can we get a truck roll to check the RT on Georgetown? He has Line-pro/Wire-pro which will cover the technician visiting his unit if necessary.
--

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice

Yea if he's cool with it I could set it up. Last thing I want to do is dispatch a tech and suprise. Only thing wire pro won't cover is the CPE or the setup, but if the modem is new enough it would still be under it's warranty.

he mention if he has any phone problems?

dbuth

Turlock, CA

1 edit
reply to dbuth

David,

We have checked and rechecked the filters, swapping them out. Changed the cords, Cat-5 cable, and such. We located the network interface and it is just above a flooded landscape area. Dave would like a truck roll to check the Network interface and the DSLAM card in the RT.

If you recall David, this same problem occurred just over two months ago and your ticket fixed the problem until last week. His modem is just over one year old and passes its tests. My modem I use is an old 4100 I believe, it does not improve the connection speed.

Thanks,

Darrin
--

dbuth

Turlock, CA

2 edits
reply to dbuth

We may have found a solution?

Solution below:

David,

Dave and I just checked a phone jack in the Master bedroom and the Dish network installer had plugged in a phone cord for the DVR to the DSL side of the filter. When I pulled that phone cord and moved to the "Phone" side of the filter and ran a speed test the test is showing full speed.

Could this have been the problem all along? I know you fixed Dave's circuit once and this filter was plugged in incorrectly then, hmm...

Your Throughput

Download = 2.529 Mbps
Upload = 439.89 kbps

--

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice

1 edit

1 recommendation

Click for full size
downloadlinestats.pdf 33,124 bytes
Looks like it was, nice catch, yea that would have made the modem go to 900 seconds in an instant because the phone device on the dsl jack would have been reflecting the signal back from the dish box.

Good catch, that's one I will have to keep in mind. Too bad we can't put this in the public forum. I think all we would have to do is edit out the private info if you wanted it though.

dbuth

Turlock, CA
reply to dbuth

David, put this up on the forum please...

Go ahead and put this up on the forum, if we take out the last names and phone numbers then everything else is OK. The reason I did not check this phone jack prior to last weekend was that it is in an area of the master bedroom where nothing is plugged into it.

When we had given up on the DSL problem and decided to address his Dish Network issues of the DVR not calling out for system upgrades and channel line-up changes we found the DSL filter that the Dish Network installer had put into this phone jack. Dave had mentioned that this installer was in a rush to install his dish, coax, and DVR for the master bedroom and living room and leave without explaining the equipment and features.

This installer plugged in the Dish provided phone cord into the DSL side of the jack. He did not ask Dave if he had DSL nor did he explain that the DVR calls out periodically. For some other reason he used another 20+ foot cord and plugged it into the phone side of the filter and seeing a phone on the dresser. Dave was in the process of unpacking during his move-in and the movers covered up the phone jack with his bed.

Thanks once again David for your patience and time while working on this trouble ticket.

-Darrin
--

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice

1 edit

Morale of the story:

1.) be sure to check all filtering if you are using them, and be sure to check them thoroughly. Especially when new services are installed and on moves.

The only other troubleshooting technique that might have determined this would have been either removing all phone devices besides the modem, or eliminating the phone devices one at a time. This should be a good example as to what potential a mis-filtered or an unfiltered device can show on the ASI side of things.

techie11

@verizon.net
reply to dbuth

Re: Solved- Once again download speeds are slower than dial-up

These problems happen all the time ATT gets $60 per truck roll. I get these 3-5 times a week.

chunkydrunky

@sbcglobal.net
reply to dbuth

Thank you so much for posting this. My throughput dropped from 5 mb to under 1 mb. My roommate bought a new cordless phone and plugged it straight in without a filter. Pulled it, power cycled the dsl modem and boom, back up to 5mb.

Thanks again!