how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

rate reform, NOW!

Data does NOT cost that much to route internationally, even if it's through 3rd party carriers, even if it were by SATELLITE PHONE, $5-20 per megabyte?

What a ripoff! Time for AT&T to reform these international data rates.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

Re: rate reform, NOW!

said by tmc8080:

What a ripoff! Time for AT&T to reform these international data rates.
Because of a couple of idiots who don't read their contracts?

Lots of people use cellular data abroad and have no problem at all. Why should these people be inconvenienced because of a few people who don't bother to read the fine print?
--
Only SHATNER is Kirk.
vicorjh
Premium
join:2007-06-24
Arlington, MA

Really, that is the exact point. These companies bury the details in the fine print and gain usurious profit in what should be considered normal activity.
We know that these companies are well aware that such a situation will occur well before bringing the service on-line. We also know that these companies will not provide any sort of "warning" that they are currently being billed at a higher rate of $20 per megabyte (uh, digital roaming indiciation provides no indication as to the charges).
Why, because they know this is a BIG profit opportuinity.
Are they technically correct that they've provided the details in the TOS? Possibly, but as you've mentioned it is buried somewhere in the fine print.
If anything, companies such as this are just limiting their customer base to those who are fabulously weathly and don't give a damn about $20 per megabyte. For those not weathly, ATT will bring collections and lawsuits to them. All the while, the self imposed negative publicity erodes away the future customer base.
If you've never been caught or pissed about some of the ridiculous fine print in these companies legalise (after it was too late), then I'd say you're in the minority. Not to mention, have you actually tried to interpret some of that stuff.
Instead of providing reasonable terms and reasonable charges, some of these players insist on tying you into a legal contracts (where they can sue you but you're limited to arbitration), eliminate customer service, fail to address billing errors, claim no responsiblity when they are in error, and find any way they can to nibble at your pocketbook. These players are usually the one that find them self at a loss as to why they've lost the customer base.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

So what if it is fine print? The point is that these idiots racked up these charges because they were too lazy to read the contract.
--
Only SHATNER is Kirk.

Jason Levine
Premium
join:2001-07-13
USA

1 edit

Actually, in this case it looks like it could be a serious problem, not just a user not reading the fine print. Apparently, the iPhone downloads updates/e-mails/etc even when you turn it off. The family had their three iPhones turned off, but the phones still went ahead with the downloads and the family was charged for international roaming. There's an expectation that turning something off will mean that it won't be incurring additional charges. If you can't avoid bills by turning your phone off then something is seriously wrong with the phone/service.

Titus
Mr Gradenko

join:2004-06-26
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Embarq Now Centu..

said by Jason Levine:

Actually, in this case it looks like it could be a serious problem, not just a user not reading the fine print. Apparently, the iPhone downloads updates/e-mails/etc even when you turn it off.
Thanks for the info. People are so quick to blame the victim these days for everything_wrong_with_a_service_or_device. Corporate droidism at its worst
--
Spent $600 for your iPhone? :: Dial OI8JOBSGOO for your Apple® ButtMonkey keyfob!
plat2on1

join:2002-08-21
Hopewell Junction, NY

1 recommendation

said by Jason Levine:

Actually, in this case it looks like it could be a serious problem, not just a user not reading the fine print. Apparently, the iPhone downloads updates/e-mails/etc even when you turn it off. The family had their three iPhones turned off, but the phones still went ahead with the downloads and the family was charged for international roaming. There's an expectation that turning something off will mean that it won't be incurring additional charges. If you can't avoid bills by turning your phone off then something is seriously wrong with the phone/service.
the phone was in standby not off, just because the screen is blank does not mean the phone is off.

Jason Levine
Premium
join:2001-07-13
USA

The family thought they had turned their phone off. Apparently, with the iPhone, pushing the "power" button doesn't actually power the phone off. To do that, you need to press and hold the button until a prompt appears on the screen and then swipe your finger across the screen. (Procedure found from the Slashdot discussion of this story.)

I thought Apple made products that had simple, yet effective interfaces. This sounds like the iPhone's design was bound to confuse someone. With my phone, pushing the power button shuts it off. I won't be charged anything during the time when my phone is off and that's the way it should be.

MadDog3057
Ex Astris, Scientia
Premium
join:2002-02-26
Miami, FL

said by Jason Levine:

The family thought they had turned their phone off. Apparently, with the iPhone, pushing the "power" button doesn't actually power the phone off. To do that, you need to press and hold the button until a prompt appears on the screen and then swipe your finger across the screen. (Procedure found from the Slashdot discussion of this story.)

I thought Apple made products that had simple, yet effective interfaces. This sounds like the iPhone's design was bound to confuse someone. With my phone, pushing the power button shuts it off. I won't be charged anything during the time when my phone is off and that's the way it should be.
It's not a power button, it's a sleep/wake button and it's well documented in the manual and even on the tutorial videos Apple has how to actually turn off the phone.
--
"The only thing that’s worse than being blind is having sight but no vision."

"Nothing is impossible, you just don't have the technology or the knowledge to do it"
justDave

join:2000-02-29
Brooklyn, NY

Standard US data rate is $10/MB

What's surprising here?

The standard advertised data rate in the US is one cent/kB. Just a penny, right? That's umm... let's see... carry the one... $10/MB (additional taxes and fees may apply)!

Of course nobody uses data without a plan, not after their first bill anyway.

Now it looks like AT&T forgot to offer an unlimited international data plan for iPhone users. Here come those first bills.

On my recent trip to London, I was prepared and used T-Mobile UK instead. Their data plan was superficially similar, I think it was 1p/kB. That would make it about twice as expensive as AT&T except for one thing - it was capped at £1/day.

When are the US carriers going to institute caps like that? It's not like anyone actually pays those $4800 bills, do they?

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

1 edit

Also, they didn't do hardly any email, but the phones keep continuously checking for email which somehow means it's continuous "data roaming" if you will charges.

IE you can leave the phone sitting on your nightstand not using it but your bill is rocketing into the stratosphere because the phone is constantly in connection.

So, yes, they "Are dumb" but at the same time yes, it's a total rip-off. IMHO full credit and AT&T needs to change the way these phones work when off their network. (Like default to totally OFF unless the user specifically orders it to connect and download despite a warning about the cost.)