share rss forum feed

N10Cities
Premium
join:2002-05-07
Fort Smith, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

4 edits

Background processes running up bill....

It looks like in the instance of the family hit with $4800, the emails were being downloaded to the phones even while they were off! (prefetching them to save time)

Slashdot article on same issue claims they didn't even use the phones while on the cruise: »hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl···/1216224

Would have been hard to catch this one unless the phone warned that it was going to International Roaming and would you like to continue downloading emails..assuming you had them on to start with...

Alleron12

@nmci.navy.mil

Re: Background processes running up bill....

You're "even while they were off" comment is ridiculous. There is a clearly defined process in the iphone manual (available at apple.com) that shows you the difference between turning the iPhone off and putting the iPhone in sleep mode. These idiots didn't read the manual, put the phone in sleep thinking it was off, and are now paying the price for ignoring the basic RTFM rule.

Ergo, the phones WERE NOT OFF due to user error.

N10Cities
Premium
Fort Smith, AR

2 edits

Ummmmm......RTFA.... .... I'm just repeating what the article I linked to said.....

BTW....why don't you register before you start flaming?

supergirl

join:2007-03-20
Pensacola, FL

said by N10Cities:

Ummmmm......RTFA.... .... I'm just repeating what the article I linked to said.....

BTW....why don't you register before you start flaming?
Because he's military and not supposed to be on this site in the first place? .mil after his name is a military IP address.
--
Saving the world keeps me busy. However, I find Earth very primitive from my home planet of Krypton.
-Supergirl

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Pre-fetching anything when off network is a bad idea, and the phones should default to NOT doing it.

MadDog3057
Ex Astris, Scientia
Premium
join:2002-02-26
Miami, FL

said by KrK:

Pre-fetching anything when off network is a bad idea, and the phones should default to NOT doing it.
The phones do not check e-mail by default.
--
"The only thing that’s worse than being blind is having sight but no vision."

"Nothing is impossible, you just don't have the technology or the knowledge to do it"

N10Cities
Premium
Fort Smith, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by MadDog3057:

said by KrK:

The phones do not check e-mail by default.
Hmmmmm....then my anon responder had a valid point about user error....guess they should've remembered to switch it off....sux to be them....