uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to newview

Re: [POLL] How much bandwidth do YOU use per month?

I'm curious how one would know how much bandwidth they use each month if they don't use DU Meter or an equivalent. What about bandwidth for streaming radio or video? Wouldn't that count toward a total? DU Meter wouldn't show that would it? So, how do you know? I have no idea.
--
"The same ferocity that our founders devoted to protect the freedom and independence of the press is now appropriate for our defense of the freedom of the internet. The stakes are the same: the survival of our Republic". Al Gore, The Assault on Reason

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

DUMeter shows all activity on a given computer, including streaming video.

If you have more than one computer online and going, router firmware like Tomato has a built in bandwith monitor that catches everything that goes over a LAN.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
Thank you. I do vaguely recall now that a couple of years ago when Road Runner users were upset about supposed bandwidth restrictions that I did use DUMeter for a month. I didn't purchase it though and had forgotten I ever used it even briefly. I'm using more bandwidth now (especially streaming radio which I forget and leave on while I sleep) than then and I do have another computer connected but don't download on it much. I have an older Linksy router and can't use Tomato. Whenever I buy a new router I will get one that can use that third party firmware.
--
"The same ferocity that our founders devoted to protect the freedom and independence of the press is now appropriate for our defense of the freedom of the internet. The stakes are the same: the survival of our Republic". Al Gore, The Assault on Reason

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2

3 edits
75GB -100GB so far for 4 weeks in general (for both roadrunner accounts)

not pr0n but videos
tube updates and other stuff

64GB up/down torrent in 178 hours
15-20GB on the other line

Ryan
Premium
join:2001-03-03
Braintree, MA
reply to Mele20
Great poll thank you!

Mele20 du meter will show any connection made by the computer including streaming radio. However it cannot differentiate from lan traffic and wan traffic. Also if you have an ip based phone obviously that wont be counted either. You also would have to add the bandwidth of all your computers. The best way to measure is if your router keeps track, that way you know exactly how much bandwidth is used on your wan side for all your devices.