This is a sub-selection from wtf?
psx_defector
join:2001-06-09
Allen, TX

1 recommendation

psx_defector to ztmike

to ztmike

Re: wtf?

You know what I'm sick of? People comparing what people overseas get, knocking down reviews and bitching and moaning, when the environment is nothing alike.

Guess what, most overseas ISPs charge by the bit for data. Telenet.be gives you 20 Mbps speed, and 35GB of transfer for only €61 a month. For those keeping score, that's $85 US. All in a country about the size of Maryland, with a much higher population density and almost 100% cable penetration.

Once people stop cherry picking places that make for ease of deployment and unusually cheap bandwidth, e.g. Korea, Japan, they find that the US pricing scheme is very reasonable.
jc10098
join:2002-04-10

3 edits

2 recommendations

jc10098

In strong contrast, many of our larger cities are more dense than theirs. Isn't that ironic? Guess what, most isps in those countries DO NOT have caps. Sweden, Japan, Italy, Finland, Korea, etc etc all have fiber and no caps. Want to toss out that argument that they are subsidized. Go for it. I will then counter that our tax dollars SUBSIDIZE the teclos and cable companies in terms of tax breaks and incentives to build out. Par for par, we pay more than most and get far less.

Population Density by country if anyone is curious:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li ··· _density

By City:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li ··· _density

As you can see.. the argument that we are less dense than other countries is a fallacy. The U.S. is more dense than Sweden, Norway, Finland. Sweden as we all know is one of the top countries int he world for fiber. Better yet, many of our cities are more dense than some of the largest around.

halfband
Premium Member
join:2002-06-01
Huntsville, AL

1 recommendation

halfband

Premium Member

So why don't all countries have virtually free broadband without any caps. Australia, the US, all of them. If is so easy to do, it would have been done by now right?
I know that in my area none of the cable systems are subsidised by the government. The government does however get the franchise fees from the cable companies.
Expand your moderator at work
jc10098
join:2002-04-10

jc10098 to halfband

to halfband

Re: wtf?

Well directly or indirectly, all ISPS are subsidized. They are given tax breaks, incentives, or exclusive access to areas for building out. I am sure if you dig a bit deeper, you will find this to be true with your ISP, too. So why are they capped? Greed.... lack of competition... etc. ISPS who rule an area are free to set their price and limit. The minute competition comes around, their tune usually changes. Hence, without competition, no innovation or improvements happen. It's just a shame ISPS in U.S. aren't offering 10/10 to spark a bandwidth war. They all seem to offer the same low crap. It's just a matter of will you or will you not be capped.
« price per gig will never work50GB * 15 »
This is a sub-selection from wtf?