MVM
join:2000-07-01
Morristown, NJ

sporkme to dcdeadbeat

MVM

to dcdeadbeat

Re: sonicwall tz190 is still the way to go

said by dcdeadbeat :

It features failover, spillover, and load-balancing. And it's very easy to use. That software you mention is just crapware. Go with a company like SonicWall, set it and forget it.
It takes a whole lotta stupid to be that mad at something that's free and offers more features.

dcdeadbeat
@verizon.net

dcdeadbeat

Anon

Quote: It takes a whole lotta stupid to be that mad at something that's free and offers more features.

Stupid, wait...let me check my bank account that stupidity has brought me....7 figures and growing....so I guess not recommending free crapware has made me very rich.

And don't think just because it is linux that it is stable or hack-proof.

And Cisco only uses linux on its VOIP and consumer products. IOS (found on its enterprise firewall and router products) is a hardened operating system and the backbone of the Internet core routers.

But then I am just a wealthy stupid, madman with 20+ years in networking...so I may not know what I am talking about.

For the rest of you out there, buy the SonicWall unless you have the money and expertise and then you should of course go with Cisco. You will be up and running in under 10 minutes. And if you have a problem, they have technical support.

Free products offer, oh wait..limited or no support.

And look at his mess of cables!!

StickToTheFacts

Anon

Stupid, wait...let me check my bank account that stupidity has brought me....7 figures and growing....so I guess not recommending free crapware has made me very rich.
When speaking in terms of quality networking software, using the term "crapware" to describe Linux and packages like pfsense shows how ignorant you are... Properly configured and secured, I can make a Linux or BSD box do everything that you can do with a Cisco router and more.
And Cisco only uses linux on its VOIP and consumer products. IOS (found on its enterprise firewall and router products) is a hardened operating system and the backbone of the Internet core routers.
Apparently you don't subscribe to the CERT lists because your statement about IOS being "hardened" is anything but true...

As for manufacturers using Linux... Several competing manufacturers are using OSS as their base router OS. For example, Juniper, which kicks Cisco's ass, is using FreeBSD as the OS on their routers. The CLI is just a userland that runs ON TOP of FreeBSD.
quantumvoice
join:2006-11-17
Ann Arbor, MI

1 edit

quantumvoice to dcdeadbeat

to dcdeadbeat
Actually, Cisco PIX does not run "IOS". The IOS that runs on Cisco's "enterprise" class routing platforms is still using (unprotected) "shared" memory architecture and is constantly plagued by bugs. These bugs are often triggered by certain combinations of features and can turn an upgrade into a nightmarish game of Russian roulette.

However, IOS-XR eliminates the majority of these problems but is only available on a handful of high end carrier class routers (GSR, CRS-1, etc.).