Geo4
Premium Member
join:2007-09-12
Healdsburg, CA

4 edits

Geo4

Premium Member

[Connectivity] Modem Issue: Surboard Software Not Updating

First thanks to Broadband/DslReports for a great resource. Folks here seem pleasant, informed and helpful and the moderation is consistent. All reasons why I will be activating a premium account here.

I'm sorry guys but I'm at work so I don't have all the particulars for my modem handy. I'm a Comcast customer with the standard 6Mb service and i do get Powerboost. I have a SB51xx modem I rent from Comcast and I use a Belkin Pre-N Wireless router downstream of that for my home LAN.

I do quite a bit of online gaming (Bf2 and use Teamspeak for Voip). I have Norton 2007 Int Security running even during gameplay.

All was well until about a month ago. Overnight my gameplay and Voip went to hell. Voip talk became choppy and it became impossible for my son and I to play online at the same time without serious glitching (appears to be severe packet loss). One of us can play provided the other doesn't and even if I'm on alone I cant really use my Voip program without causing problems. I should add that my Skype displays similar poor quality as TS. Its like bandwitdh disappeared.

Of course i consulted Comcast but was told all was well when they checked my modem by phone. They were decent enough to send out techs twice and checked everything including my signal to the house and upstream for packet loss...nothing there.

I then executed my lifetime replacement warranty with Belkin and had both the router and the desktop Pre-n wireless adapter card for my own PC replaced (Belkin is wonderful that way). No go, same issues.

I should add that speed tests are great. Speed doesnt seem to be an issue but I'm wondering if the modem is filtering or somehow causing key packets to be lost when under moderate load. I've read about Surboards doing this and only the ISP can correct with firmware or software.

During the course of my explorations a buddy showed me how to access my modem config page and the logs. I notice that when i do a hard reset on power up the modem logs a consistent error involving an attempted SW download then subsequent failure to initiate the installation due to "incompatible file type". This doesnt seem right.

When i get home this evening I'll post the file thats bombing and the modem config...I'll need some help determing firmware on it.

Thanks
Geo

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

said by Geo4:

During the course of my explorations a buddy showed me how to access my modem config page and the logs. I notice that when i do a hard reset on power up the modem logs a consistent error involving an attempted SW download then subsequent failure to initiate the installation due to "incompatible file type". This doesnt seem right.

Thanks
Geo
See these threads: »Internet goes out every time firmware update fails. HELP!

»SB5101 Config Files
Geo4
Premium Member
join:2007-09-12
Healdsburg, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

Geo4

Premium Member

Thanks Johkal,

I suppose i could have been patient about achieving a resolution but instead I marched into the local Comcast office and traded out the SB5101 modem for an RCA 425. Hopefully that modem species is not inherently problematic! (please tell me they're not lol!)

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

The 425 should work as expected.

Ripper
Premium Member
join:2002-02-07
Lake Worth, FL

Ripper to Geo4

Premium Member

to Geo4
Click for full size
I have the RCA DCM425 and have no issues with it at all.The RCA DCM425 has no issues getting the right config file.My modem has had the firmware updated many times since I owned it.My last firmware update was a few weeks ago.Config file name shown above.
Kill4Speed
join:2007-01-12
Ashburn, VA

Kill4Speed

Ripper, could you let me know the fw version on your modem. A few weeks ago, my DCM425 failed to update
SW Upgrade Failed Before Download - Server not Present

TIA,
v

Ripper
Premium Member
Lake Worth, FL

Ripper

Premium Member

It looks like I have the same as you.It looks like there was a problem with there server not your modem.Are you having any problems?
Kill4Speed
Ashburn, VA

Kill4Speed

AFAIK, I do not have any problems
I'm just wondering if the new fw offers/fixes something that I should know about
Cheers,
v

Ripper
Premium Member
Lake Worth, FL

Ripper

Premium Member

I have never seen any info on what firmware updates,fix/do,with cable modems.
Kill4Speed
Ashburn, VA

Kill4Speed

Ripper, neither do I
thanks
-v