spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Jay_P
join:2005-12-12
Montreal, QC

Jay_P to kalg1975

to kalg1975

Re: Sympatico throttling Bit Torrents now???

Click for full size
Getting over 500 KB/s here in Montreal at 5:56 PM.

I'm synced at 7 Megs.
Omr
join:2004-01-10
M1S-1B3

Omr to kalg1975

to kalg1975
Yes but Cine are you trying out the Ubuntu torrent? Try that out and post some pics, or feedback.

Cine
@dsl.bell.ca

Cine

Anon

Omr, I tried the Ubuntu, I tried other very active software, I even tried adding music that I'd otherwise have no interest in. Once the throttling is in effect nothing has any impact. The only change I can achieve is which torrent gets the bulk of my incredibly shrunken bandwidth.

Here's a current shot of roughly 9 hours of utorrent traffic. Ubunto was included for a few hours but I dropped it a while ago. The precipitous drop was about 4:30 PM. An hour later it plateaued at 26/26, with occasional mini-spurts it's 11:30 PM now & I'm shifting between 26 & 76.

The apparent 'shaping' of my bandwidth is pretty dramatic in this image. I don't see how this could be caused by anything but Sympatico.

»img453.imageshack.us/my. ··· lep0.jpg

Jay_P
Montreal, QC

Jay_P

Cine what about direct downloads from the web ?

Cine
@dsl.bell.ca

Cine

Anon

Direct downloads show no throttling. Speed tests done while throttled uTorrent is running appear normal as well. As far as I can see it's just torrent traffic that's affected. It started roughly 10 days ago. And it keeps to the same rough schedule, kicking in between 4 - 5PM and returning to normal between midnight & 2 AM.

Jay_P
Montreal, QC

1 edit

Jay_P

Are you behind a router or VOIP gateway ? I'd suggest connecting your modem directly to your computer and testing it again tomorrow.

Cine
@dsl.bell.ca

Cine

Anon

jpabboud, When it first ground to a halt I assumed a problem on my end & tried all the usual fixes - reboot, alternative bittorrent app, removed my router, etc. Nothing had any effect. I don't see how a router could possibly cause this to occur with such regularity.

No VOIP here.

I've been using a lot of bandwidth for the last few months so it's possible I've attracted Bell's attention. So far I seem to still be on unlimited service - maybe this is there way to try & mitigate my usage.
olegs69
join:2006-06-20
Toronto, ON

1 edit

olegs69 to kalg1975

to kalg1975
Click for full size
8:38 am on Monday sept 17,2007.
Been like this for a few days now. Does not seem to get better throughout the day .

Pape and Danforth area (Toronto ,ON). Bloody beavers.

bithead
@grouptelecom.net

bithead

Anon

This is just a shot in the dark, but I notice in a couple of the screenies that your upload speeds seem to be set very low. A while back, for whatever reason(never did figure out the "why"), when I set my max upload speed to anything lower than about 20 kb/s, utorrent downloading speeds seemed to be very slow (and appeared to be capped).

After trying to get my head around this for a while, I just turned my max download speed back up to 50ish and bingo...download speeds were back up to a respectable speed.

This is one of those "doesn't make sense...but hell it works" solutions. Won't claim that it will fix your problem if there is actually throttling going on, however it worked for me Give it a shot...nothing bad can come of it.
h3dges
join:2004-09-03
Canada

h3dges to olegs69

to olegs69
olegs69, you have the answer in your own SS....uTorrent is telling you that the Download is limited..set your upload speed higher and that will disappear.

on another note. If Bell is going to Throttle the speed of P2P application they would do it by limiting the amount of session/sockets per IP. which mean that you will see some slower download sometime and no issue other times.

Cine
@dsl.bell.ca

Cine to kalg1975

Anon

to kalg1975
Since I didn't post my uTorrent settings I'd better clarify this point. Upload & download remain uncapped on my client. Traffic shifts dramatically (as seen in the images I've posted) from acceptable speeds to what appears to be throttled. During this period I have been running multiple torrents - from different trackers.

The timing of the throttling is imprecise but it it on a very predictable schedule. It happens if I'm at the computer at the time, or if I'm miles away.

In short, I'm open to the idea that my own computer is plotting against me but I find it far-fetched. Likewise, I know I'm capable of making mistakes, but such consistent & regularly scheduled mistakes are beyond my skill-set.

If there's any call for them, I can post several more captures of the uTorrent speed grid, showing variously the throttling & opening up of my bittorrent traffic.

It's now 2:00 PM and my bittorrent traffic appears to be absolutely normal. In about 3 hours I'm sure it will be back to a crawl.
Reimer
join:2006-08-14
Toronto, ON

Reimer to bithead

to bithead
said by bithead :

This is just a shot in the dark, but I notice in a couple of the screenies that your upload speeds seem to be set very low. A while back, for whatever reason(never did figure out the "why"), when I set my max upload speed to anything lower than about 20 kb/s, utorrent downloading speeds seemed to be very slow (and appeared to be capped).

After trying to get my head around this for a while, I just turned my max download speed back up to 50ish and bingo...download speeds were back up to a respectable speed.

This is one of those "doesn't make sense...but hell it works" solutions. Won't claim that it will fix your problem if there is actually throttling going on, however it worked for me Give it a shot...nothing bad can come of it.
Actually, it makes perfect sense. It's exactly how BitTorrent works. The download rate is proportionate to your upload rate. The more you "share", the faster your download rate should be according to the swarm.

Now in Oleg's example, his client is set to download limited. This is basically uTorrent's way of limiting leechers when they purposely set their upload rate too low. In uTorrent's case, the client is set to download limited when the user sets his upload rate to less than 5KB/s

klapka
@dsl.bell.ca

klapka

Anon

i am experiencing the same thing. i'm in mississauga, and my speeds have dropped in the evenings. if i leave a torrent running overnight, it's done by morning, indicating that overnight the downloads did speed up.

i switched from rogers to bell after rogers started throttling and bell promised they would NEVER do that.

i'm trying the xubuntu torrent and it's capping at 25 KB/s, just like my other torrents.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

HiVolt

Premium Member

Click for full size
Here is a test I just did, using the ubuntu torrent found here »torrent.ubuntu.com:6969/ ··· Cq%AA%F5

First section (RED), is my Teksavvy unlimited login. Torrent ramps up quickly maxing out in less than 30 seconds. It doesn't completely max out because I forgot to close streaming winamp window.

Second section (BLUE), is my work's Bell Business (BellNet) login. Torrent ramps up almost immediately, maxes out in less than 30 seconds, full line capacity 825KB/sec (8mbps sync).

Third Section (GREEN), is my Bell Sympatico login. Torrent slow to reach speed, spiking up and down along the way, never reaching max speed, in much longer time allowed than the previous test.

So, I think they may be throttling the residential customers, but not yet business. Perhaps those with unlimited accounts. This was done just before 12 midnight. I will do more tests tomorrow a little earlier, maybe around 9pm to see...

Cine
@dsl.bell.ca

Cine

Anon

HiVolt, although your results show a problem I wish I was throttled as slightly as you seem to be. It's 3:30 AM here & my torrents have only just sprung back to life after close to 10 hours in the 26 - 70 k range.

You did probably give me that final nudge needed to jump to Teksavvy.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

I will test some more today, with other logins from friends, to see if its really login related.
ShaneBarnes
join:2007-08-24
North York, ON

ShaneBarnes to kalg1975

to kalg1975
Figure I could post this in here instead of starting a new post, since it deals with Bittorrent.

All of a sudden my Azureus client shows me as firewalled.. and I really don't think I changed anything on my end. It's done this intermittently before, shown as firewalled, and corrected itself eventually, but now I'm not sure what's happened. Is it somethings on bell's end? Have I reached my download cap or something and they've capped said port for now?

Sorry if I'm talking nonsense, I know a little, but im no networking expert.
gi1010
join:2006-09-22
Montreal, QC

4 edits

gi1010 to kalg1975

to kalg1975
May be Bell Sympatico got the idea from CableOne, implement a Threshold Limits time for those unlimited accounts.

»CableOne Customers Capped, Then Charged More [74] comments

»/r0/do ··· eOne.jpg

Doci
Toothless Fairy
join:2003-02-01

Doci

It appears so.

Cine
@dsl.bell.ca

Cine to kalg1975

Anon

to kalg1975
Well, for what it's worth, tonight was an oddity. Instead of the full-throttle it's cutting me down every five minutes or so. My speed grid is jumping up to 300+ then sharply back down to 70. Much better that it's been for the last few weeks but really not quite acceptable yet.

Last week I cancelled my service (provisionally, with the hope that this issue could still be resolved. ) Did so because Bell demands 1 month to process the cancellation. Today I was told that the cancellation was not put through & I will have to wait 30 days from today. So that's an extra week I get to pay Bell for service that just isn't up to scratch. More than anything, I'm peeved that Bell penalizes me because their agent failed to file the order.

(I wasn't crazy about the month to process the cancellation but I didn't whine in here about that kink. )
art1
join:2001-01-24
Bowmanville, ON

art1 to kalg1975

to kalg1975
Click for full size
Thanks for this thread. Saves me from a pile of frustration with why my torrents run slow during parts of the day. Kept thinking it was everything from configuration problems to line issues. For me this has been going on a lot longer then the beginning of September though.

This morning I downloaded a torrent at around 150 kb/s but since about 5 pm the maximum I am seeing is 30 kb/s. I did some testing with the torrent on 2 computers and saw that even when I was downloading the same torrent to seperate machines the combined speed stayed around 30 kb/s. Pause one or the other and the remaining one went up to the 30 by itself. Then tested it on one machine with another popular torrent and again the totals equaled around 30.
Clear to me that the torrents are being throttled to around 30 kbs/s.
BozoTheCl0wn
join:2005-04-01
H0H0H0

BozoTheCl0wn to kalg1975

to kalg1975
Guys,

To help determine if this is done only in certain areas, for those who are experiencing the throttling please post what device you use to exit the network. Maybe we can narrow it down that way. You can do this by posting a traceroute:

traceroute to www.bell.ca (204.101.196.36), 64 hops max, 40 byte packets
1 192.168.2.1 (192.168.2.1) 2.810 ms 1.159 ms 1.327 ms
2 64.230.197.203 (64.230.197.203) 14.148 ms 13.121 ms 11.664 ms

So I don't have any throttling going on that I can see and I exit via "64.230.197.203" (in Toronto). The first hop is my router...

Anyways... Just a thought.

UberSteve
@dsl.bell.ca

UberSteve to kalg1975

Anon

to kalg1975
I lost all Bell connectivity - land line and internet - for about 24 hours yesterday. We were told it was a switch issue.

Today, my max torrent download is 30kB/s. Bell has implemented torrent throttling in a very dishonest way.

clandestin
join:2002-05-02
Montreal, QC

1 edit

clandestin to kalg1975

to kalg1975
Click for full size
Just got my acces today and right now I didn`t see any throttling.

BTW I'm in Montreal.
ShaneBarnes
join:2007-08-24
North York, ON

ShaneBarnes to kalg1975

to kalg1975
20-30kb/s for my torrent downloads is now my magic number too... what's going on?
malvernkid
join:2006-08-22
Pickering, ON

malvernkid to kalg1975

to kalg1975
Now I think I'm capped during the day since its 11:40am and torrents that should be going 500+ are all capped. My total torrent speed won't go over 60kb/s. This is ridiculous!

Cine
@dsl.bell.ca

Cine to kalg1975

Anon

to kalg1975
Malvernkid, I'm in EXACTLY the same boat!

Yesterday things seemed better - it was dipping regularly but basically remained uncapped most of the day. But around 11:00 PM I suddenly crashed to 60 up & down and have remained that way until 6:00 PM when it came crashing down to 26/26!

I figured it had something to do with my finally cancelling my Sympatico account (which took me 3 calls to accomplish! 0

I hope I have a few passable days before my teksavvy account comes online.

It's good to know I'm not the only one.
esaka
join:2004-09-27
Canada

esaka

Hi,

I've been averaging ~15kb/s down and less than 5 kb/s up on BT, and the weird thing is that while I'm BTing, regular download speeds suffer a lot. My ping also seems to jump to the 900s and above when BTing but I get around 80ms when I'm not (when pinging to google.ca).

Coincidence? I think not...

Sean8
join:2004-01-23
Toronto

1 edit

Sean8 to kalg1975

to kalg1975
I'm not prepared to admit that I am being throttled, since I haven't seen any hard evidence yet. But regardless, something has caused my BT speeds to be lower than usual as of late.

Jorge24
@dsl.bell.ca

Jorge24 to UberSteve

Anon

to UberSteve
I had the same thing happen to me, somebody turned off my connection for a couple of hours, I called in and they said it would be back on very soon. I knew something was up, it was like they had a scheduled appointment to do something on my line, that's how set-up it seemed. Although my torrents are still fine, my speed has taken a hit, I was getting 7 easily, sometimes higher before my line went down, I can't on any speed tesr get to 6 anymore. And the hit didn't take affect the same night, it would have been too suspicious that way, the next morning I saw the change, but I was fully expecting something like that to happen. I was actually surprised when the connection was back-up that the degradation wasn't sudden.

I have no doubt in my mind from the undeniable evidence in this thread that Bell is indeed throttling torrents. I think as mentioned around here before that it is in some kind of trial mode and only targeting specific users/locations at the moment. Let's all hope that this trial doesn't turn into a full out throttle operation by Bell.

They're not fooling anyone, at least not the knowledgeable ones.