Search similar:

uniqs
unbtable
join:2007-09-13

1 edit

unbtable

opening ports in modem [Solved, thanks!]

Hello

First thing I should say is that I am a novice user. It took a long time on a voice client with a gaming friend to discover what the problem is.

my question is: how do i open ports in the speedstream 4200's firewall ( I do believe it has one, right?)

I just recently set up a network, and previous to that, I could allow these ports through by fiddling with a gateway that appeared in network connections of the computer directly hooked to the modem. Now that I have the router hooked to the modem (and yes, port-forwards are set up correctly and are working) this does not work anymore. I tried the configuration panel (typed ip address of modem in browser bar) and I can't find any useful settings in there whatsoever. Would a factory reset give me some access to the options I need?

TIA for any time spent typing a response to this newb

unbtable
newf7
join:2007-09-11
Brampton, ON

newf7

Re: opening ports in modem

I don't use that modem but you may find this helpful.
»www.portforward.com/engl ··· ndex.htm
Jorge23
join:2007-09-11
Toronto

Jorge23 to unbtable

to unbtable
I don't have good news, I personally had a speedstream 4200 until I changed to a 2wire. The S.S is listed here Port Forward as a router, but Bell will deny that it is. I called in about port forwarding the 4200 and I was told by their tech reps that they didn't have access to it, that I'd have to call Siemens directly. They said they don't block any ports.

A factory reset will not give you the options you need, Bell blocks the options you need. However, if you do try restoring the defaults you'll have to uninstall the modem through network adapters and install the modem again. Trying to get a connection again might or might not give you a serious hassle, it did for me, as when I tried logging in with b1 details to activate the modem again, the session repeatedly timed out on me. So rule that out.

thisisoldnews
@dsl.bell.ca

thisisoldnews

Anon

if you hae the modem set up to handle your user name and pass it has certain ports blocked by default. If your using or vista make your own broadbanc connection and voila the ports will be unblocked

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

hook modem to your pc, go to the mode page, reset to factory defaults (removes user/pass) plug your router back in & setup the pppoe connection for the router to connect. once that's done if you port forward is done correctly you'll be able to do what you want to.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to unbtable

Premium Member

to unbtable
said by unbtable:

my question is: how do i open ports in the speedstream 4200's firewall ( I do believe it has one, right?)
Ignore everything but this and read the FAQ below as it is time tested to work every time and to work properly. Now setup your Router for PPPoE (with your Username/Password then leave the 4200 untouched and unconfigured.

»Bell Canada Internet FAQ »How do I change into bridged mode on the 4200?

Do responders no longer read the FAQ plus know to use it in their replies and not to suggest convoluted actions/very unneeded steps that are not equal to the simple and correct way?

Regards,

Doctor Olds
unbtable

unbtable

Thanks all for the quick replies; I will give it a try tonight and see how it goes.
I had seen that FAQ, I just had no idea that it would help me in the least.

unbtable

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

Yes, It greatly helps people that have bought extra Routers. They were not aware that the 5200 and 4200 are already Routers and that instead of buying another Router they just needed a 10/100 Multi-port Switch in order to have dozens of PCs all supported by just the Speedstream (up to 253 PCs).

Getting back to the FAQ, you are bypassing the 4200 Router features by following the FAQ steps and that way only your second Router requires Port Forwarding, instead of the hassle of having to unlock the 4200, Port Forward the right ports to the other Router and then forward the other Router's ports finally to the PC running the server or gaming software.

Regards,

Doctor Olds
unbtable

unbtable

I tried the steps listed in the FAQ above, and it didn't work. I'm back to the old configuration now. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Here is exactly what I did:
1. I unhooked the modem from the router. Modem is now hooked only to power supply and phone line.
2. Pressed the reset button on the back of the modem. DSL light did not come on at all (its not supposed to at this point, right?)
3. I configured the router for a PPPoE connection, using the user name and password that was previously entered into the modem.
4. I connected my router to the modem.

No go. No internet access at all.
Any sugegestions?
Thanks,

unBtable

PS It is a game I'm trying to run, not a server.... could you honestly think someone as clueless as myself would be running a server? :P lol

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

1 edit

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by unbtable:

I tried the steps listed in the FAQ above, and it didn't work. I'm back to the old configuration now. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Here is exactly what I did:
1. I unhooked the modem from the router. Modem is now hooked only to power supply and phone line.
2. Pressed the reset button on the back of the modem. DSL light did not come on at all (its not supposed to at this point, right?)
You have to press and hold the reset button for at least 4 seconds, but not more than 10 seconds (see image below). Just clicking on it one time does nothing.

See the steps here:

FYI, When you host a Game, there is actually a hidden Server running which is built into the game. That is why you have to open/forward ports for people to join.

Regards,

Doctor Olds
unbtable

unbtable

Sorry about that - I had pressed and held the button until it was reset. (after I gave up and connected the modem directly back to the PC so i could configure it, the username and password were gone, so it must have reset properly)

Good news is : I got it working. The problem was that the PPPoE setup was bad. I used a wizard in my router to configure it this time around, and now its working, and the ports are getting through.

Thanks very much for your help and patience! I really appreciate it! as I am the type to get a knot in my stomach when something goes wrong...

unBtable

PS by server i had meant a dedicated server, running 24/7. Definetely not capable of that at this point.... but a game? no problem!

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

Congratulations! Glad to hear you found the PPPoE issue and corrected it. It is so much easier now that only one Router needs to be worked with when opening/forwarding ports for your Gaming as you found out that two Routers makes it no fun.

Enjoy your Gaming and blast your opponents before they blast you! Glad I could help with what little I did.

Regards,

Doctor Olds