share rss forum feed

SandShark
Long may you run
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-23
Santa Fe, TX
kudos:3

Stopping For School Buses

The illustration and text shown is the only reference I could find in the Texas Drivers Handbook regarding stopping for school buses. It indicates under what conditions it is necessary to stop for school buses. I have come across a situation that I'm unsure as to what applies, so I was wondering if someone could clarify it for me.

If I'm driving on a road that has two lanes in each direction and the lanes are divided by a turn lane, am I required to stop for a bus that is loading/unloading if I'm on the opposite side going in the opposite direction? The second paragraph says I do not need to stop if I'm on a "controlled-access highway where the school bus is stopped in a loading zone and pedestrians are not permitted to cross the roadway." I'm fairly sure that there is no crossing the roadway as the speed limit is 55 and there are no stop lights or intersections with marked crosswalks, but I'm not sure if this road is considered a "controlled-access highway" or not, and I'm not sure that where the bus is stopping is considered a "loading zone". FYI, I have been stopping, as have other cars. Thanks.

--
• • • - - - • • •

MysticGogeta
The Robot Devil
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Katy, TX

2 edits

1 recommendation

No I don't think you do because kids won't be crossing the street. If you read the second paragraph it says (2) "upon a controlled-access highway where the school bus is stopped in a loading zone and pedestrians are not permitted to cross the roadway. " My interpretation in that situation with a middle turn lane it would be jaywalking if like you said there is no crosswalk/lights etc.
Over on 518 I encounter this situation often driving to school when a school bus stops at some apartments on the other side (2 lanes on both sides and a turn lane exactly like your case accept speed limit is 40 mph) I don't stop nor does the people around me.
--
Team Discovery-Join the fight

removed
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX
kudos:40

1 recommendation

reply to SandShark

I never stop when there's some sort of median, and the bus is on the other side of said median.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to SandShark

If it has a median or is a divided highway then you don't need to stop. I believe that in the case you describe where there are two lanes each direction separated by a shared left turn lane you do need to stop.

Here's the defination of controlled-access highway. You can decide if your roadway fits the criteria.

"(12) Controlled access highway--A highway so designated by the commission on which owners or occupants of abutting lands and other persons are denied access to or from the highway main lanes."

SandShark
Long may you run
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-23
Santa Fe, TX
kudos:3

Based on the definition you give, I believe you're correct about stopping for the bus, even though the kids unloading should not be crossing the highway. I'm sure, if there are kids that live on the other side, the bus driver would have them unload on that side, rather than cross a dangerous highway.

I'm going to call the DPS today or tomorrow and get the word directly from them, just to be sure.

Thanks for the feedback.
--
• • • - - - • • •