how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dromas

join:2004-06-11
Honesdale, PA

anyone run into similar problems with advertised speeds

i live in honesdale recently went to 15g sevice tweaked pc as best as possible ran many different tests line quality etc says everything is good upped my rwin with proper calculations but yet to get a speed result above 8g having line man come out monday

dodgetech2

join:2002-01-01
Gouldsboro, PA
I was getting about 13 down and 1.5 up for a week or two..now I'm barely getting 10 down..still get the 1.5 up though.....

Not sure whats up, I might call if it gets worse....

disturbed

@ptd.net
reply to dromas
It's unusable at night now. I have G15 and I am getting 1M . They can't handle the increased capacity. This SUCKS!

dodgetech2

join:2002-01-01
Gouldsboro, PA

1 edit
said by disturbed :

It's unusable at night now. I have G15 and I am getting 1M . They can't handle the increased capacity. This SUCKS!
I don't think thats the case at all....Why don't you post some speed test results and some line data to back up your claim.
maybe you have a wiring issue in your house, or maybe your modem or router is at fault.

I have had PTD for 3 years and have had very few problems.
The speed is off a bit lately but I am still pulling about 10 meg from a 15 meg line.....certainly nothing to suggest that they suck.

dromas

join:2004-06-11
Honesdale, PA
hey man line man came out went through all his paces everythings fine as far as connection goes get 10 to 12 megs consistently in morning hours while school is in session soon as school lets out until wee hours of morning never get even near 10 mbs generally 4 to 8 range cannot bitch too much paying only 29.99 for 6 months of supposed g15 speed

redoak

join:2002-06-20
Newburgh, NY

1 edit
reply to dromas
I live near Milford. Best G15 speed to Speedtest.net NYC server is 12 down and 1.29 up.

Off peak of course.

Jake99

@ptd.net
reply to dromas
Im located in the Etters area where blueridgecable is advertising 15 / 2 and im getting great upload around 1.8 however the download is HORRIBLE. In the evenings I sometimes get 2 mb down if im lucky and late in the monring or during the day when no one is on it im still lucky if I get 3-4 down..... really disapointing

vapochilled
Premium
join:2004-11-23
Macungie, PA
reply to dromas
Paying for 7 down, getting a whisker under one right now! SECT has sucked for months now!
Will I ever live to see Fios,lol

vapochilled
Premium
Macungie, PA
reply to dromas
All time low, of 400K tonight, I think I'll cancel and go with DSL, service electric just plain suck ass, and have done for months

AndrettiFan
Premium
join:2007-10-18
Mechanicsburg, PA
reply to dromas
VapoChilled, I was down to about 400k the other day, that was before SECTV had another "billing issue" with my account and shut it off after they got my $130 / mo. I called and they got it "fixed" and now I'm up to a whopping 1.3 Mbps down for my 7M service!

vapochilled
Premium
Macungie, PA

1 edit
said by AndrettiFan:

VapoChilled, I was down to about 400k the other day, that was before SECTV had another "billing issue" with my account and shut it off after they got my $130 / mo. I called and they got it "fixed" and now I'm up to a whopping 1.3 Mbps down for my 7M service!
Hang on to your mouse at those speeds!
I just called them and said I was not paying until it gets fixed.
We did the usual dance and then he said, "we only rely on speakeasy " speed test. Suits me, I know it well, so while he's online we fire off at the washington server.
360K down 399K up! hahahaha
He went quiet for a bit and then said "that aint right" no shit!
Techs coming to me Wednesday afternoon
So we'll see what shakes, just ran it again while typing, I just hit 1100K I feel all giddy

Edit, just ran speakeasy test again at 11.50pm hitting 7700Kbps, can't be an issue my end can it?

SGIR14K

join:2007-10-29
Macungie, PA
vapochilled: I'm moving to Macungie (Ancient Oaks) later this week and will be using SECTV's 7 meg service. I was hoping it would be much better then their terrible one-way cable modem service I've had to use in the Zionsville area for years. How have you been making out since your last post?

I already canceled my Verizon POTS service and had the phone number ported to Vonage...hopefully the cable modem doesn't suck enough to screw with the VOIP quality....

They're supposed to be out on Friday afternoon to hook everything up. I'll post back with some speed results.

vapochilled
Premium
Macungie, PA
reply to dromas
Well the tech came and put an attenuator on my line as I was running "hot" to the modem.
Speed still sucks when the kids get online.
Found out why though, apparently there are almost 500 homes on the one node/line right now. They are "supposed" to be getting it split within a few weeks, so we'll see.

GAR

@ptd.net
We live in Breinigsville and are having similar speed issues with SECTV. 1 mbps download seems to be the norm. I have been in contact with both PTD and Service Electric numerous times. Even had a tech come to our home. No change. Finally got an admission from SECTV tonight that the lines are saturated in our area. The solution that we were offered was a POSSIBLE move of our data connection to another server within a month or two. Seriously considering a move to Verizon FIOS.

Loly19

@ptd.net
reply to dromas
Also using Blue Ridge in East Stroudsburg.

Pretty much works like clockwork

Peak hours hit around 5 PM internet slows to a crawl. I think I saw under 400k download last night at 8:30 pm, completely un-usable. Starts to pick back up again around 11 PM.

But I never see more than 4 mb download when I am paying for 15.

This has been a consistent and worsening problem for months. I plan to call for a dsl install this morning.

If you do anything besides light surfing I highly recommend going with anyone but this company and don't waste your money paying for 15 mb speeds, you will never see anything close to it, not even in the middle of the night.

Mizfit

join:2002-06-05
Whitehall, PA
reply to GAR
said by GAR :

We live in Breinigsville and are having similar speed issues with SECTV. 1 mbps download seems to be the norm. I have been in contact with both PTD and Service Electric numerous times. Even had a tech come to our home. No change. Finally got an admission from SECTV tonight that the lines are saturated in our area. The solution that we were offered was a POSSIBLE move of our data connection to another server within a month or two. Seriously considering a move to Verizon FIOS.
why in the world would you even be toying with SECTV when you have an option for FIOS... get on it!!!

moresuo

join:2001-08-26
Stewartsville, NJ
reply to vapochilled
Not likely. I just checked with Verizon and their reps have roll out listings going out about 18 months. My area isn't even on the list.

You do know that Verizon got permission about 8 years ago to collect a "tax" specifically to raise capital to make fiber [FiOS] ubiquitous in their coverage area. In that eight years they have collected over 2 BILLION DOLLARS that was to be specifically used to roll out FiOS and it was supposed to be COMPLETED last year.

We really need to lean on the Public Utilities commission and our State Assemblymen and Senators to get Verizon to do what they were suppose to do with the money they collected FROM US [instead of what they did with it which was to place it in their general fund and raise their stock price].

We were all supposed to have fiber access by now. We paid the freight up front. Verizon kept the money and didn't make good on its promise to provide the service.

vapochilled
Premium
Macungie, PA
reply to dromas
I was being sarcastic about FIOS, the telco's have everyone shafted and no ones seems to give a rats ass, I don't get it. We've had civil war over less!

2.30 in the afternoon, and I just got this

Last Result:
Download Speed: 208 kbps (26 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 256 kbps (32 KB/sec transfer rate)

To new york, less than 100 miles from me!!
SETV F#%%$%^^ sucks!!!!

AndrettiFan
Premium
Mechanicsburg, PA
BTW I had the tech out for my speeds, wasted 4 hours of time, replaced every segment for him to tell me that we're saturated, and they were planning to add another "star node" to break up the growth, but had no timetable.

If you look at PTDs network status logs, Allentown market has been in the system for 6 months about an upgrade that hasn't happened yet.

FIOS stopped right before our development and no timetable for install.

Basically I'm screwed.

m0p

join:2000-05-11
Hawley, PA
reply to dromas
I've got G15 out here in Fawn Lake (lackawaxen) and have never seen a speed over 9Mb. That speed was only once, too.
Normal speeds are between 4m and 7m, and upload is 1.2-1.4 on average... Personally I don't think they should advertise a speed if they can't give it. They "said" they're upgrading the lines to 256Q from 64Q which should help with some of the speed, but living out here in the woods, where there might be 100 users at the most at any given time on this node, and getting less than 7mb is ridiculous. I've gotten credit after credit for low speeds, but if it doesn't get better in the next week or so like they said it would, I'm downgrading to the 7m speed... it's pointless to pay extra if I'm never getting it. :/
--
do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are spiteful, and will piss all over your keyboard.

vapochilled
Premium
Macungie, PA
reply to dromas
Service electric were "crawling" all over our development and surrounding area today. Net was down for ages, I had to reset the modem to get back online, but boy oh boy, after the godd awful speeds I've been seeing, I saw a 6meg responce from speakeasy at 6pm!!! Can you imagine my excitment
Lets see if it stays up at these speeds.

AndrettiFan
Premium
Mechanicsburg, PA
Vapo what development are you in? The head of "Technical support" saw signal strength fluctuation on my modem which he thinks is the problem. I think it's a stall tactic, but they're coming out Monday to try and stabilize the signal.