share rss forum feed

Mercurybird
Premium
join:2004-06-24
Hooks, TX
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Windstream

You can accept collect calls with MagicJack...

Okay everyone I'm setup and it is working. We just received our first collect call from a local jail. The system there is setup so that the inmates can only call out collect.

The program that makes it possible is called Global Tel link and is at »www.globaltellink.com

So the jail must be setup to use Global Tel Link. The GTL website can give you those details. So can your jail.

I called 800-483-8314 and entered my MJ number starting with the area code. Then I entered the info from the cretic/debit card I'm using. And a few minutes later we received a call from our family member who is in jail.

It was that simple. I had the opportunity to put $25.00 or $50.00 on the account for our family member to use. I put $25.00 for now just to make sure it works. The fee they deducted from that $25.00 was $4.75.

That fee would be higher had I put $50.00. But whatever... if for some reason it didn't work they would have refunded the money less the $4.75 and a $5.00 refund fee.

The call process worked perfectly. Gloal Tel Link intercepts the collect call from the jail and sends it to you. When you answer they tell you who they are and what the call is and you can accept.

I hope this helps you. Really the only thing you need to know ahead of time is whether the facility uses the GTL system.
--
You're an American. You get a free pass, but nobody rides for free.

laserjobs
Premium
join:2004-05-02
Las Vegas, NV

I wish I owned those prison phones, what a cash cow!!!

RockyBB
Premium
join:2005-01-31
Steamboat Springs, CO
reply to Mercurybird

sorry that your family member is in jail. as you went through the process with GlobalTel, was there anything that led you to believe that their system could not be used to call other phone numbers, especially those not affiliated with MagicJack? or was this a MagicJack only deal?
--
"Teleblend has an agreement with the Assignee to solicit and support former SunRocket customers."

Mercurybird
Premium
join:2004-06-24
Hooks, TX
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Windstream

I originally got MagicJack because it was such a great deal. But I needed to do something to give our son-in-law the ability to call collect. So this was all about that specific situation.

I've wondered if it would be possible to use GTL for any and all colloect calls. But I have not investigated them for that. So I was only addressing the part that I knew worked from my own experience.

The GTL system works with any phone service because they don't care what number you give them as long as it is a working number.

So it isn't a MagicJack only deal. What I did when I first started looking into this is to post a message in MagicJack's forum. I was told there that MJ can not accept collect phone calls. This is in light of the fact that I clearly referred to GTL in the post.

My concern was that there are people out there who need a way to get calls from incarcerated friends and family. But who are thinking that MJ won't work. No matter which VOIP you use, if you need to, give it a shot.

Thank you!
--
You're an American. You get a free pass, but nobody rides for free.

Expand your moderator at work