how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Buddahs Twin

join:2005-08-01
Milwaukee, WI

Modem - Signs of Failure?

What are the signs of your modem failing?

I've a SpeedStream 4100. Signal and service has been rock solid for 2 years. Zero problems.

Sunday night no issues or problems keeping sync.

Monday morning cannot consistently keep sync. Had roughly a 6 hour period where sync was stable. Had the day off so had the time to kill on the net.

Got home from work tonight, Tuesday, and it took a while for the modem to sync. Sync was stable for about three hours. Now sync is intermittent. Accessed the modem and during times of no sync checked modem. Checked connection, Ethernet passed and would fail at ADSL and skipped the rest.

No recent thunderstorms or any other type of negative activities. Modem is only moved to clean, and has not recently been moved prior to this problem. Have reset the modem.

Is my modem in its death throws?

Greg_Z
Premium
join:2001-08-08
Springfield, IL
Connect to the NID and see if it is still behaving the same.

Buddahs Twin

Milwaukee, WI
reply to Buddahs Twin
Forgot to include in my post above that I had connected to the NID. Sorry about that.

I connected to the NID during the times where there was intermittent sync issues. I did not notice any difference between the hook ups.

Will continue to monitor and see what happens.

The thing that baffles me is that the service has been rock solid for years with little variation in upload and download speeds. That's why I was asking about the symptoms and if these were related to modem failure.

JimmyR
Premium
join:2003-10-16
Milwaukee, WI
reply to Buddahs Twin
I am seeing very similar problems with my 2wire, also solid for a long time. I'm starting to think there is a bigger issue here.

I do love conspiracy theories, though.

Buddahs Twin

Milwaukee, WI
For the better part of a week now it's back to normal. It must have been something being updated, repaired or local issue. The one thing that has me highly irritated is that when I called the Tech was next to useless, who for whatever reason could not contact maintenance nor could/would check for local issues.

JimmyR
Premium
join:2003-10-16
Milwaukee, WI
Glad to hear it is back to normal. Mine is as well. It does seem like there is very little information about current network conditions filtering down to the support folks for these kinds of issues. I have learned to pretty much rely on this forum and the direct forum if help is needed.

jeffro

join:2007-04-20
Bay City, MI
reply to Buddahs Twin
ive been having issues here in western michigan too. i would go as far to say that its got something to do with them tinkering with the lines due to u-verse