how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Golias

@virtua.com.br

Fake IP address on internet. How?

Hello,
I'm looking for a software that doesn't show my real IP Address on internet. I'm using an encryption software(DCPP from securstar) to encrypt my whole HD, and they have SurfSolo which says that change my IP Address and garantee that i will surf anonymous on internet. I would like to know if someone knows how that works, and if it is a reliable software.
I'm happy with the other software(DriveCrypt Plus pack) from the same company, but never heard about SurfSolo. Could someone help me?

Thanks in advance guys.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:3

1 recommendation

Not this again..

»hide ip address

Expand your moderator at work

Rocky67
Pencil Neck Geek
Premium
join:2005-01-13
Orange, CA
reply to Golias

Re: Fake IP address on internet. How?

It's done using a proxy server.

»www.securstar.com/products_ssurf.php
--
"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY

2 edits
reply to Golias

Unless you're trying to circumvent being banned from some site, there is no reason to "hide" your IP address. It gives no personally identifying information about you.

Be aware that many of the "guaranteed to hide your IP" softwares are more nefarious than anything anyone can glean from your IP address itself.

Do a search, there have been numerous threads on this old subject. Here's one more:

»Can I hide my IP (w/o using a proxy)?
--
JIHAD WATCH~~9512 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

markedmanner

join:2007-09-14
Alexandria, KY

1 edit
reply to Golias

For surfing anonymous I recommend Using TOR: »tor.eff.org/
or JAP:»anon.inf.tu-dresden.de/index_en.html
You will notice slow down in your speed but it will help you stay anonymous. Also you can try the website anonymouse you dont have to download anything and the website hides your IP
»anonymouse.org/anonwww.html

Also even though you use these programs websites can still tell your IP by accessing your computer via Java. I recommend using Firefox with the noscript extension in order to block this. You can get firefox at: »www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/?f···tfirefox
And NoScript at: »noscript.net/getit

Further you can add the useragent switcher to firefox to stop websites from knowing what kind of browser and operation system you are using. You can get that here: »addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/59

beenshutdown

join:2007-09-10
Fresno, CA

Also be aware that even in the case of using an anonymous proxy, or even Tor, that in some cases your information can and still will be obtained by any agency that can provide a warrant, or in the case of the Tor operator in Germany, just get raided.

You can do a lot to make it *real* hard to track you down. Truthfully though you cannot hide. It's just a matter of how hard they want to look for you, and what kind of resources and power they have at thier disposal.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

reply to Golias

The answer depends on whom you're trying to hide from. If it's your ISP or some level of government, that's one thing... if it's anyone else, that's another.

Your ISP has the capability to track everything you do, of necessity. If you're using a proxy or remotes like Tor, the ISP has the capability to identify that such is occurring - though tracking exactly what you're doing through the remote site systems would take some serious "personal" attention by the ISP. Your government (on its own or at the behest of another nation) has the capability of compelling an ISP to reveal its records of your direct browsing if the government is so inclined and if the national laws are in place; it also has the capability of installing snooping technology to track what you do even through a remote site system... again, if the appropriate laws are in place. And, of course, sometimes governments have been known to act even when the laws aren't in place or when they're unclear. In some places, especially mainland Asia, certain governments require ISPs to log your browsing activity and regularly forward records to official agencies as a condition of doing business. Your local mileage will vary... but there's nothing you can do to fully hide browsing activity from your own ISP and whomever may be watching over their shoulder.

When it comes to "anyone else", something like those concepts already suggested (TOR, JAP, proxies, etc) may meet your needs.
--
If God wanted us to work with electrons, He'd make them big enough to see...

Genilson

join:2007-10-03
reply to Golias

Well, i never used SurfSolo, but i heard some good feedbacks about it.
As far as i know, the SurfSolo creates a virtual encrypted tunnel(using SSH protocol)from your computer to a SecurStar server. The criptography used is AES 256 bits(which is very good). So this makes impossible to your ISP tracks you down, or reveal your records, because they don´t see it. As you're using securstar server, and there is no backdoor in it. So basically they change your IP address to one of their IP address, and nobody knows what are you doing on internet.
I know it's not free, but it dependes what you want to do, it worth.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

said by Genilson:

So this makes impossible to your ISP tracks you down, or reveal your records, because they don´t see it.
Your ISP has to know your IP address, otherwise they cannot route IP to you. That's what IP addresses are for.

For a start, the 'tunnel' exists in the real network. There's an SSH connection between your real IP address and the real IP address of the SecurStar server.

The tunnelling protocol ensures that your ISP cannot know what else you do, but that's all. They assuredly know what IP address they gave you.

keeska
Premium
join:2007-04-06
Sedona, AZ
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·Suddenlink
reply to Genilson

So many wrong statements in a single post. Take these two -

quote:
So this makes impossible to your ISP tracks you down, or reveal your records, because they don´t see it.
This is completely untrue. Your ISP knows your IP address since your traffic comes from that IP and your traffic is sent back to that IP. And using existing technology they can do an analysis of the traffic and determine what type of traffic you are sending/receiving.
quote:
As you're using securstar server, and there is no backdoor in it.
This is obviously untrue. Since you are making an ssh connection to them they are the endpoint. All of your traffic is decrypted by them. At that point they can do whatever they want with your traffic including recording it, changing the contents of your data or introducing data of their own. There is no indication that they would do any of this but it is possible.

Lagz
Premium
join:2000-09-03
The Rock
reply to Blackbird

said by Blackbird:

The answer depends on whom you're trying to hide from. If it's your ISP or some level of government, that's one thing... if it's anyone else, that's another.

Your ISP has the capability to track everything you do, of necessity. If you're using a proxy or remotes like Tor, the ISP has the capability to identify that such is occurring - though tracking exactly what you're doing through the remote site systems would take some serious "personal" attention by the ISP. Your government (on its own or at the behest of another nation) has the capability of compelling an ISP to reveal its records of your direct browsing if the government is so inclined and if the national laws are in place; it also has the capability of installing snooping technology to track what you do even through a remote site system... again, if the appropriate laws are in place. And, of course, sometimes governments have been known to act even when the laws aren't in place or when they're unclear. In some places, especially mainland Asia, certain governments require ISPs to log your browsing activity and regularly forward records to official agencies as a condition of doing business. Your local mileage will vary... but there's nothing you can do to fully hide browsing activity from your own ISP and whomever may be watching over their shoulder.

When it comes to "anyone else", something like those concepts already suggested (TOR, JAP, proxies, etc) may meet your needs.
Very well said. If he is trying to hide from his ISP then he is SoL ...
--
Tin-Foilers Union of America!!
Tin-Foilers Union Local 101...

Genilson

join:2007-10-03
reply to Golias

Take easy, i'm just a normal user trying to understand. I just said what i thought it was right. Sorry and Thanks!
Anyway, there is still something confusing me.
I thought that your ISP would know your real IP address, but if someone tracks you, it probably will be through securstar server, so the IP tracked will be the IP from Securstar sever, right? And if they sell a product with that function, they can do something to delete the records in 2 nano seconds(example), or whatever they want.
Another point that let me confuse is, if Surfsolo says that use AES 256 encryption, i believe this encryption works between your computer and Securstar server. If that realy happens, it is possible to ISP decrypt that information?
Once again Sorry and thanks.

----------------------------------------------------
"I know nothing, excepet the fact of my ignorance!" (Socrates 470-399 bc)

caedmon

@cox.net

quote:
thought that your ISP would know your real IP address, but if someone tracks you, it probably will be through securstar server, so the IP tracked will be the IP from Securstar sever, right?
Correct. And depending on the equipment they have and how much effort they want to spend (both in $'s and time) they can track you through the proxy server to your real address.
quote:
hey can do something to delete the records in 2 nano seconds(example), or whatever they want.
Not sure the legal requirements here. They may have to retain records just like your ISP. But again they can trace you without the records if they really really want to do so.
quote:
If that realy happens, it is possible to ISP decrypt that information?
Decrypt - no. But using analysis they can determine the types of traffic going through the SSL connection. There will be some interesting papers published this year regarding traffic analysis of encrypted (SSL and ipsec) flows.