Eyeballs
Premium Member
join:2000-04-25
Worcester, MA

1 recommendation

Eyeballs

Premium Member

[Rant] United Way Day of Caring

This isn't a rant on the United Way, but more of a rant of their allocation of resources.

Last week was their day of caring. People were doing anything from landscaping to painting at various charitable organizations around the city.

Well my wife gets a painting assignment at a city owned housing complex where she painted for 3 hours on some exterior railings. Now this complex is financed by city taxes and entitlements that the residents receive.

Since when is a government owned property considered in need of charitable assistance?? The real irritating part is that this complex has their own in-house maintenance dept on the city payroll. While they volunteers were painting, the city workers all just sat their and watched while getting paid.

What was the point in this, to give the city workers a half day of no work? It just seems like a huge waste resources to me.

Especially when there are privately owned and financed woman's shelters throughout the city that are in desperate need of all kinds work. This one was a real head scratcher.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

1 edit

Robert

Premium Member

It's the thought that counts ehh?

viperpa33s
Why Me?
Premium Member
join:2002-12-20
Bradenton, FL

viperpa33s to Eyeballs

Premium Member

to Eyeballs
Just think, now you know your taxes are being well spent.
Expand your moderator at work

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH

hitachi369 to Eyeballs

Premium Member

to Eyeballs

Re: [Rant] United Way Day of Caring

On my day of caring for work I went to some art institute and grouted tile for 3 hours... Kinda a waste. Would of been better if I helped someone vs doing busy work on an art project.

I got a paid day off for it....

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium Member
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX

Thespis

Premium Member

... unless you count grouting tile as work!

AB57
Premium Member
join:2006-04-04
equatorial

1 edit

AB57 to Eyeballs

Premium Member

to Eyeballs
The United Way had some bad publicity some years back when it came to light that a large portion of donated money went towards "administrative costs".

I prefer House of Ruth, Hospice groups, and the Salvation Army to donate any of my money or time to. They're more 'first-hand', effective, community-oriented, and cost-efficient, imo.

Other quality charities exist as well.

*Edit- And anybody who is eligible (many aren't) might want to consider donating blood. There's always a shortage. They're not kidding when they say that.

And think about becoming an organ donor next time you renew that driver's license.
Half of 'em probably aren't doing you any good now, much less when you're dead.

PageTurner
Premium Member
join:2004-08-16
US

PageTurner to Eyeballs

Premium Member

to Eyeballs
I looked on the web and it looks like community's pick their own projects. One place even had people doing office work for the county.

I agree with you that the jobs should be done for non profits and the needy.

I like the way this town did it.

»www.unitedwayyellowstone ··· ery.html

More than 850 volunteers came out in full force on Sept. 14, 2006 to participate in the 14th annual
United Way Day of Caring. Representing 41 companies consisting of 88 teams these individuals contributed over 2,703.50 volunteer hours amounting to $48,771.14 in donated labor. In a matter of a few hours 49 projects were completed at 32 non-profits.
DMWCincy
join:2004-04-27
Fairfield, OH

1 edit

DMWCincy to AB57

to AB57
said by AB57:

The United Way had some bad publicity some years back when it came to light that a large portion of donated money went towards "administrative costs".

I prefer House of Ruth, Hospice groups, and the Salvation Army to donate any of my money or time to. They're more 'first-hand', effective, community-oriented, and cost-efficient, imo.

Other quality charities exist as well.

*Edit- And anybody who is eligible (many aren't) might want to consider donating blood. There's always a shortage. They're not kidding when they say that.

And think about becoming an organ donor next time you renew that driver's license.
Half of 'em probably aren't doing you any good now, much less when you're dead.
We don't support the UW for that reason. Everything we do go to local women's shelters and Salvation Army since I can see where my donations go to.

On a side note, I've tried multiple times to donate blood but due to have horrible allergies 365 days a year, the center never takes my blood in the off chance that I'm actually sick.

Mospaw
My socks don't match.

join:2001-01-08
New Braunfels, TX

1 recommendation

Mospaw to Eyeballs

to Eyeballs
I know someone who used to work with them and she told me some stories that prevent me from ever giving them another dime of my money or a second of my time. Ever. I would encourage you to do the same. There are far more charitable charities out there. This is based on what she told me, and only one geographical area, so it may not apply everywhere.

The United Way is not a single charity, but a group of charities with territories (usually a large city). Each one is run more or less independently. It's more like a business wrapped in a non-profit.

Also, the United Way doesn't really do charitable acts (at least the one I'm familiar with) so much as they help other charities. They're kind of a catch-all charity and distribute money to those actually helping out. Think of them as a middle man or wholesaler of charitable donations.

The United Way does some good, don't get me wrong. They indirectly help a lot of people in need. Unfortunately, they also have a lot of administrative costs, which means less of your dollar makes it to those who deserve it. Remember, it's run like a business.

Another aspect of them I don't like is the corporate tie-ins. They usually find a manger or C-level executive of a local company, like a phone company, utility, etc. and appoint them "president" for a year. Woe unto you if you work for that company, because magically "The United Way" is now a charity that you can donate to right on your paycheck with a convenient deduction. Why woe? Well ... it's "completely voluntary", of course. But it's more of a mandated voluntary thing if you know what I mean. So now the employees of a company are being, um, cajoled into donating. This is a huge win for the United Way, a PR boost for the company and the only people it costs anything are the workers.

(Better yet, find a few of the charities the United Way helps out in your area and donate directly to them. Bypass the middle man!)