pensioner
Premium Member
join:2005-02-20
Gulfport, MS

1 edit

pensioner

Premium Member

[HELP] yahoo video not working

Hi all, just noticed that my yahoo videos don't start - I don't know how long this condition has been but I just noticed it this morning. Tried system restore back to 9 days ago and that didn't fix it. When the video screen loads, it loads with a exclamation error icon at the bottom. I can interact with the video page, i.e., select other news source vids, other titles, but nothing loads or plays. I've checked other video sources like CNN, youtube etc and everything works on those pages. I've reloaded WMP11 and Flash 9. The error coding I get on clicking the exclamation icon is: Line: 518 , Char: 83 , Error: "1" is null or not as object Code: 0 URL: »cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up ··· src=news

Any and all help soliticited. Anyone want to take a short at fixing my machine via Windows Remote Assistance is more than welcome to PM me for me to initiate the process. Please help - I'm gonna hate having to reload the machine just to fix this error! Thanks

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone

lilhurricane

Numquam oblita

Might be better to assist you here.
If others have issue, they can benefit from the found solution

Maybe a lil more info on your system? Specs? Browser, etc?

kcazzie
One Of Jerry's Kids
Premium Member
join:2000-08-13
Morton Grove, IL

kcazzie to pensioner

Premium Member

to pensioner
I've been having problems with Yahoo stuff, maybe it's them...
pensioner
Premium Member
Gulfport, MS

pensioner

Premium Member

lilhurricane, thanks for the reminder: I'm running XP Home with SP2 and IE6. I'm totally grabbing for straws - thinking it might be an IE problem I tried to fix IE by running sfc /scannow and then reinstalled SP2. Neither attempt had any effect. And kcazzie, here's hoping it's them but fortunately or unfortunately Yahoo is working normally on my wife's machine.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna

Premium Member

I really don't have any idea, but just for funsies, have you tried yahoo videos with another browser, like Firefox or Opera, to see if they will play? If so, that would narrow the problem down to IE itself. The error seems to be a coding error (PHP?), but why it's showing up on your machine, I don't know.

AB57
Premium Member
join:2006-04-04
equatorial

1 edit

AB57 to pensioner

Premium Member

to pensioner
You allowing 3rd-party content to be stored (from your Flash settings)?

»www.macromedia.com/suppo ··· l#118539
pensioner
Premium Member
Gulfport, MS

2 recommendations

pensioner

Premium Member

Status Update: Thanks to all who have responded. Took LaLuna's suggestion and loaded Firefox to test the Yahoo News video site. Works like a champ - in fact it seems much quicker than IE. As for the Flash permission settings: I'm probably too trusting but everybody's got permission for everything on my machine - they can even look at the mic and camera that I don't have hooked up.

Yahoo Help responded back to me with a very generic note that could be interpreted that the problem is on their end and they're working on it and expect to have it cured in a couple of months. ( really that's what they said! )

so given Firefox I'll put off the formatting and loading until I break something else on my machine - and wait for Yahoo to fix the video problem. Thanks to all. Harris

AB57
Premium Member
join:2006-04-04
equatorial

AB57

Premium Member

Just a thought-- This was your own previous solution:

»Re: Flash Playing Problem

I presume you've done that?
pensioner
Premium Member
Gulfport, MS

pensioner

Premium Member

AB, thanks for reminding me - but that problem and solution was for an IE7 problem. I'm a quitter - I gave up on 7 and have stayed with IE6. But I tried the solution nevertheless - unfortunately still get the exclamation error icon and the vids don't load. But thanks for the research Harris
bk9410
join:2002-12-25
Yorktown Heights, NY

bk9410 to pensioner

to pensioner
It's the firewall. I am using NIS 2008 and I changed all of the Yahoo programs from Automatic to ALLOW and now it is working. So, check your own firewall settings.

Please post back if it worked.

Thanks.

BK
pensioner
Premium Member
Gulfport, MS

pensioner

Premium Member

Hey bk, thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately that's not it. I use Kerio 2.1.5; I've tested the loading of the Yahoo Video page with and without firewall, with and without pop-up blocker and overriders, with cable internet and with dial-up; in all cases the video player loads with the exclamation error icon. The player will load and display the numerous news film clips but won't play them. Harris

kcazzie
One Of Jerry's Kids
Premium Member
join:2000-08-13
Morton Grove, IL

kcazzie

Premium Member

Others have been having problems like this and they fixed it by clearing the cookies and browsing history... Can't hurt, by the way it worked for me too...

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium Member
join:2005-01-16

caffeinator to pensioner

Premium Member

to pensioner
Hmm, I've never really used Yahoo vids, but it doesn't seem to want to work here either.

Using Opera 9.23 Everything loads, but will not play.

Seems like their code has issues.

From the error console:

(sorry I couldn't take one pic, was too long and had to scroll)

pic 1

pic 2

It dosen't bother me as I don't watch stuff there, but perhaps this will be useful to others to troubleshoot.

-CaFF
bk9410
join:2002-12-25
Yorktown Heights, NY

bk9410 to pensioner

to pensioner
Maybe just a coincidence that it worked after tinkering with the firewall.

I, too, think it is the Yahoo Messenger Code at fault. Maybe their next update will correct that.

BK
r0nbo
join:2007-01-01
Decatur, IL

r0nbo to pensioner

to pensioner
My yahoo news video quit also but a week ago it worked fine. I am using Firefox and all I get is a black video box. no errors or nothing. All the menus and stories are there. It works ok in IE7 but I never use IE7 if I can help it. I have been through all the Help files that Yahoo has to offer and nothing works. I am stumped. XP Pro SP2.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone

lilhurricane

Numquam oblita

said by r0nbo:

My yahoo news video quit also but a week ago it worked fine. I am using Firefox and all I get is a black video box. no errors or nothing. All the menus and stories are there. It works ok in IE7 but I never use IE7 if I can help it. I have been through all the Help files that Yahoo has to offer and nothing works. I am stumped. XP Pro SP2.
Holy thread Resurrection
pensioner
Premium Member
Gulfport, MS

1 recommendation

pensioner to r0nbo

Premium Member

to r0nbo
f0nbo, good news and bad news. The good news is I found the solution to my Yahoo Video problem last week. The bad news is my problem was yahoo vids not playing in IE (6 & 7), they played in Firefox. For me the solution lie in the superfluous registry entry "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1)" in either: HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\User Agent. Under User Agent or Post Platform OR IN "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent\Post Platform" If the "Mozilla ... SV1" entry is found, delete it; and then there is Yahoo Video ! This basics of this solution was derived from an answer found in a Malaysian Yahoo board ! »malaysia.answers.yahoo.c ··· 5AAFzV33 Good Luck, Harris
JackCam614
Premium Member
join:2000-08-24
New Hyde Park, NY

JackCam614 to pensioner

Premium Member

to pensioner
I don't know if this inquiry belongs in this thread or not?

I haven't been to Yahoo Music Videos in a while, but upon going there today, I noticed that the Flash "Full Screen" function does not work. Is this part of the overall problem at Yahoo's end?

XP Pro SP2 IE 7

TIA,
Jack

takeahike
You sure ask a lot of dumb questions
Premium Member
join:2005-01-07
Catacombs

1 edit

takeahike to pensioner

Premium Member

to pensioner
I had the same problem with some (not all) Yahoo videos (just the 'pulse' ones, not those on the top) and fixed it by setting my resetting my IE back to defaults.
bruzzes
Premium Member
join:2001-04-26
Euclid, OH

bruzzes

Premium Member

said by takeahike:

I had the same problem with some (not all) Yahoo videos (just the 'pulse' ones, not those on the top) and fixed it by setting my resetting my IE back to defaults.
I also found that by going to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced/Reset Button corrects this problem.
I usually have to uncheck the 3rd party extensions also, close down IE and then slowly enable my add-ons.

takeahike
You sure ask a lot of dumb questions
Premium Member
join:2005-01-07
Catacombs

takeahike

Premium Member

Hope OP got this advice.
ronnidonni
join:2008-02-14
Spokane, WA

1 edit

ronnidonni to pensioner

to pensioner
I found this thread while searching for help on said problem. I applied this fix and wow!! I feel like a geek genius! Worked like a charm.
Appreciate your thoroughness.

[Mod Note...closing thread from 9/07]