Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

SlickEnW
Premium
join:2003-01-21
Seattle, WA

I guess i should pay attention in business class

I would have never thought of this one...

Search engines buyn' air space n' fiber??

nice!!

Quick note; I fired up IE instead of Firefox by mistake and in the MSN search bar, i typed "Google", then used it to find my search.

Darn my loyalty.

But seriously. Doesn't google already have a presence in these other countries? Is their purchase of additional pipe (read e-pen!s) just to deliver goods faster?

SylphFi
Premium
join:2007-06-07
Moses Lake, WA
They are doing it so they will have their own pipe, and can stop paying someone else (Global Crossing, MCI, et al) to deliver their goods. They are doing the same thing inside the U.S, buying dark fiber between their data centers, so they can cut out a large amount of recurring bandwidth costs.

RARPSL

join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY
said by SylphFi:

They are doing it so they will have their own pipe, and can stop paying someone else (Global Crossing, MCI, et al) to deliver their goods. They are doing the same thing inside the U.S, buying dark fiber between their data centers, so they can cut out a large amount of recurring bandwidth costs.
This having their own Backbone can also be looked at a defense against those ISPs pushing the "Google is a Freeloader" Anti-Network-Neutrality chant. By peering with the ISP (as opposed to doing the peering 2nd hand [due to needing an Upstream Peer to do the actual peering]) they can reach a Peering Agreement that takes the wind out of the Freeloader Bovine Excrement claims.

SlickEnW
Premium
join:2003-01-21
Seattle, WA
reply to SylphFi
said by SylphFi:

I see...good explanation.

SylphFi
Premium
join:2007-06-07
Moses Lake, WA
reply to RARPSL
Very good observation.