spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Todd
@qwest.net

Todd

Anon

Can I discontinue my qwest landline and still have qwest DSL

I'd like to transfer my landline phone number to my cell phone as I really don't need a landline, but I don't know how or if this will impact my qwest DSL service. Is it possible to have qwest DSL without also having to pay for a landline?
Turbocpe
Premium Member
join:2001-12-22
IA

Turbocpe

Premium Member

Yes, Qwest offers DSL service regardless if you use their phone service or not. It is sometimes referred to as "Dry" DSL.

msj
Premium Member
join:2004-05-21
Fort Collins, CO

msj to Todd

Premium Member

to Todd
But be careful how you proceed. If you call Qwest and say you want to switch to a "Dry" DSL line you will lose your phone number and not be able to port it to your cell phone.

I believe the correct action to take is to call your cell phone provider and have them handle the number port first. They will handle sending the request to Qwest. Once Qwest implements the port you will pretty much have a defacto dry DSL line. At that point you may call Qwest to straighten out any loose ends. Just make sure that your phone number is working properly on your cell phone first.

Todd
@qwest.net

Todd

Anon

Thank you very much. Extremely helpful
Bill5309
join:2007-06-02
Boise, ID

Bill5309 to msj

to msj
Be very careful. If you DO go to your cell phone providor and they initiate the # port, your DSL is going down. I would recommend a call to Qwest and first set up a stand alone dsl line (2nd account billed seperately) on your current wiring. THEN and only then, bring down your Landline and it's associated DLS circuit, port the # over to your cell. Otherwise, you will be looking at an extended time of no HSI.

msj
Premium Member
join:2004-05-21
Fort Collins, CO

msj to Todd

Premium Member

to Todd
Hmm, any other Qwest employees want to jump in here? Last time this came up other Qwest employees said that a number port would not bring down the DSL connection, i.e. the connection would be automatically converted to a dry DSL connection. I believe there have been people who have followed this exact route successfully in the past.

Just to be clear, what Bill5309 is recommending is setting up a complete second installation, i.e. using a separate pair, setting up another account, new DSL agreement, the works. Then after that is in place, shutting down your original connection by porting the number. That seems like a real hassle. I would be very surprised if this was the only way of achieving what you want. I'm fairly sure this has been done properly with a lot less effort in the past. The main warning in the past was to not first convert your primary line to dry DSL if you wanted to port your main line phone number somewhere else.
Turbocpe
Premium Member
join:2001-12-22
IA

Turbocpe

Premium Member

Because a Dry DSL is still tied to a phone number (which doesn't work), it appears completely plausible that if you remove that number from the line (port the number) that may lead to the DSL service having some downtime while the DSL is given a new number.

I have a dry DSL line, but it has a regular phone number attached to it. The number doesn't work, of course, since I don't have the voice service.

christcorp
Premium Member
join:2001-05-21
Cheyenne, WY

christcorp to Todd

Premium Member

to Todd
Bill's suggestion is the ONLY guaranteed method. Order a 2nd DSL line that is DRY without a working phone number. Once it is up and running, port the normal phone number to the cell company. Then verify that that DSL service is terminated after the port.

Technically, you can have the number ported a keep the dsl as dry, but Bill's suggestion is the only way to guarantee no significant downtime. The problem isn't that there is a phone number tied to your DSL. The problem is, in the phone world, your whole account is tied to your phone number. When you port your phone number, there is nothing left to tie to so the rest of your services are also canceled. Unless you had a second number. Later.... Mike.....
Bill5309
join:2007-06-02
Boise, ID

Bill5309 to msj

to msj
I have seen and continue to see many circuits brought down by converting to a stand alone ckt (I am scared to do it to my own line). It's simply glitches in order flow. It's not much of a hassle to do the process I gave and it does pretty much assure you that you do not go without service. If you have a current MSN (q.com) account and an email address hooked up to it, you can move the membername (and sub accounts) over to the stand alone ckt after you cancel the dialtoned line.

Let us know how everything turns out and best of luck to you.

Peace

jonas0tt0
@multilinkon.com

jonas0tt0 to Todd

Anon

to Todd
Bill has the best advice.
Jonbo298
join:2004-01-12
Council Bluffs, IA

Jonbo298 to msj

to msj
said by msj:

Hmm, any other Qwest employees want to jump in here? Last time this came up other Qwest employees said that a number port would not bring down the DSL connection, i.e. the connection would be automatically converted to a dry DSL connection. I believe there have been people who have followed this exact route successfully in the past.

Just to be clear, what Bill5309 is recommending is setting up a complete second installation, i.e. using a separate pair, setting up another account, new DSL agreement, the works. Then after that is in place, shutting down your original connection by porting the number. That seems like a real hassle. I would be very surprised if this was the only way of achieving what you want. I'm fairly sure this has been done properly with a lot less effort in the past. The main warning in the past was to not first convert your primary line to dry DSL if you wanted to port your main line phone number somewhere else.
Your DSL will go down once the port completes unless you have a standalone/dry dsl account in waiting like others mentioned.

I've told quite a few people who even mention they may port, if they keep DSL to setup a standalone accoutn with us as soon as we see a pending port out so that it will usually just attach to that soon to be open pair on our end.

As christcorp said, the number is tied to whatever you have with us. The moment that number goes 'poof' with us, it all comes tumbling, depending on what you have unfortunately. Someday it may get smart and know not to tear it all down if its a port out to another provider