kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 edit
reply to jc100

Re: Immunity

said by jc100:

If these companies are given immunity, break out your lighters, as the constitution needs to be burned.
I expect that we should have burned the U.S. Constitution in 1794 (look up the "Whiskey Rebellion"), or maybe in 1798 (look up the "Alien and Sedition Acts"). Perhaps in 1835, when President Andrew Jackson overrode a SCOTUS decision favoring the Cherokee Nation, and forcibly removed the Cherokee to the "Indian Lands" (later called, Oklahoma). Or even in 1942 (look up "Executive Order 9066).

Despite the RICO Act, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, and the Patriot Act, I think it is a tad too soon to give up on the U.S. Constitution. We can still vote; if only we were smart enough to vote the rascals currently in office out of office.

"We have met the enemy and he is us".
~Pogo
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

jc100

join:2002-04-10

2 edits
Norman,

Not to criticize your assessment, but let me point out one flaw....

"if only we were smart enough to vote the rascals currently in office out of office."

Sadly, many don't vote for one reason or another. Those who vote often do not know the issues. Couple this with the fact lobbyists have their hands so deep into the pockets of politicians, that companies (not the people), run this country these days. At one time, this government was for the people, by the people. Sadly, its for the corporation at the behest of the politician. Until our society starts getting off its ass to demand more of those they elect, this crap will continue. It's quite a sad time when people would rather sit back and watch us follow the path of destruction than do something about it. I for one don't expect Democrats to fix much if elected. I just hope they fix a little at this point. It's quite sad that I feel the same resolve of futility, that those who do not vote experience. Yet, I look at things like this currently. Something is better than nothing, and if change can occur slowly back in the right direction, it must count for something. Cherish gains, whether big or small as they say. If we start getting rid of corruption, and demanding those who do it leave, then maybe one day we'll be back to a government run by the people, for the people. Until then, we're stuck in the rut we call 2007 with ever so bad leadership at the helm.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by jc100:

Norman,

Not to criticize your assessment, but let me point out one flaw....
The flaw is not in my assessment, but in the nature of humanity. Fixing the problems we have would require voters who would actually take active interest in what is happening, and not just accept the "touchy-feely" pronouncements of pundits and politicians. We are a culture of idol worshippers who hang on every word uttered by entertainers, as if their expertise in their craft transferred over to political expertise. Barbra Streisand is an infinitely better singer, and actor, than I will ever be. But, as they said about the Robert Preston character (Professor Harold Hill, The Music Man), "She doesn't know the territory."
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

jc100

join:2002-04-10
Norman,

Very true. Instead of taking what celebrities say at face value, we need to investigate their statements. IE take it with a grain of salt until proven otherwise. Politicians are expert speakers. They know how to swing things so they come out looking good. In swinging things, you might think your question was answered, but you merely got another twist. Hence, educated people must listen closely, and follow their every word. By follow, I mean not just agree, but go back and analyze everything that was said. Only then, should one make a constructive and well informed decision on the issue. A good example. We do not let someone tell us which doctor to see or treatment to pursue. While we may get advice, we make this decision on our own after careful research. Why should the political future of this country be any different?