All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Mojo
@comcast.net

Mojo

Anon

Possible fraud on the part of Cavalier Telephone?

I need a legal opinion, if there are any lawyers out there. Due to moving I tried to cancel my Cavtel landline/DSL account. I could not get through on the phone to customer service, though I tried at all hours of the day and was on hold forever.

I sent a certified letter/return reciept on Aug. 8, 2007 to the corporation hdqtrs telling them I was cancelling the account/could not get through on the phone, etc. Never heard a response. Not only did they not cancel it, they added another charge to the account on 8/29/07.

I sent an email to "customer support" (ha!) on 8/29, basically reiterating my cancellation request and asking why the additional charge was added. Never got a response for this.

Fast forward to 9/20/07. I get my original Certified letter back in the mail with "return to sender", "refused" and "not deliverable as addressed" stamped on it. This is bogus because I checked the physical street address for the corporation with the VA SCC, Hoovers, and **Cavalier's own website**. Everything was correct the way I sent it. I did not open the letter.

That day, I checked my phone line-the number is still active in my name. So I sent another letter (again Certified/return receipt) to Ed Meyercord, CEO at the corporate address, reiterating the cancellation and that I would not pay the additional charge, and that if they did not communicate to me with a credit to the account, I would deliver an appropriate legal response.

There seems to be a wave of companies across the country now that will refuse to cancel accounts, which is theft. If there are any lawyers out there, can their actions (refusing to cancel service, charging me for service after I cancel) be construed as fraud in court? It is definitely fraud, but how would the law handle it?

Thanks

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

If you are in Virginia, just call the State Corporation Commission and file a complaint. I have worked with them on a few issues and they are pretty good about beating up companies when it is warranted.

semick
join:2002-05-12
Cleveland, OH

semick to Mojo

to Mojo
I have also complained via the state A.G. and gotten good results with companies also. I had to do this with Ameritech when they were billing me for 2 DSL lines and one dial up in 2003 and all I had was one DSL. They floundered for 6 months in trying to fix the billing issue. When the A.G. contacted Ameritech's legal department, all of a sudden everything was fixed.

Scott