Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jimmy Carter4

join:2007-09-24
Mooresville, NC

2 edits

1 recommendation

Make a Recovery Disk and use Partition Magic with VISTA.

I figured out how to make the Norton Ghost 9.0 RECOVERY DISK bootable CD to enter the recovery environment outside of the operating system.

It is also the PowerQuest Drive Image 7.0 recovery disk.

The folders needed to build the CD has 387 MB's. If you can download the folders {from somewhere} you can make the CD...

I just made one and it works perfect... I got the idea at 3 AM {retired science instructor and almost 80 years old and some times I don't sleep well}in the morning and jumped out of bed and came to the PC and made it.

If any one wants me to post the directions I will.

I only did this because I was helping someone and they couldn't find a recovery disk so I told them how.

I edited this post to include information about me b/c some of you instant messaged me and called me a troll.
Plus I wanted to share my experiments with Partition Magic, VISTA , and Windows XP and quad boot.

howie1
Premium
join:2003-04-08
Antarctica
kudos:4

1 recommendation

Re: How to make your own Norton Ghost 9.0 Recovery Disk.

Norton Ghost 9 (over 3 years old) is nothing more than a re-badged PowerQuest Drive Image (Symantec acquired PowerQuest). It's no big surprise that Powerquest's boot CD works with it as they both use the same .v2i image files. It pales in comparison to True Image 10, IMO, which in many cases can be downloaded for free (by Seagate and Maxtor HDD users via DiscWizard or MaxBlast). If you purchased Ghost 9 you wouldn't need to make your own boot CD anyway as the bootable program CD itself is the "recovery environment". Why would you need to make one to begin with?
--
Some people see the glass as half full. Others see it as half empty. Jack Bauer sees the glass as a deadly weapon.

Candle
Like a candle in the wind
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Fosston, MN
kudos:2
reply to Jimmy Carter4

I would like to know.
But i like to learn knew things.

Jimmy Carter4

Mooresville, NC

4 edits
reply to howie1

You can use Partition Magic with Vista.

I couldn't do this with Acronis? I tried it with ATI 10.

Here are four messages for you.

-----------------------------------------------------------

MESSAGE # 1.

Bought a laptop with Vista and put XP on it also.

This is a nice computer. Thought someone may like to see.

The VistaBootPro people say this can't be done because I did it all with PARTITION MAGIC.

This Gateway MT 6840 is a really fast computer and has 160 GB hard drive and 1GB of memory and came with Vista premium. It also came with a recovery DVD of Vista premium.

OK, here is what I did when I got the new MT6840 home.

I’ll number the steps.

1. I put a Windows XP CD in the drive and booted to install.
2. When it asked me what I wanted to do I deleted the recovery partition and I deleted the Vista OS partition.
3. Now I had 160 GB unformatted hard drive and chose {quick} format and installed Windows XP Professional.
4. It installed perfectly and I had a 160 GB hard drive with Windows XP Professional.
5. I installed Microsofts’s NetFramework 1.1
6. I installed Partition Magic. BUT NOT “Boot Magic”.
7. I installed PowerQuest Drive Image 7.0.
8. I opened Partition Magic and right clicked on Drive C {160GB’s} and clicked on label and labeled it “January”.
9. I booted the computer.
10. I opened Partition Magic and in the upper left hand corner selected “create a new partition.”
11. I made the new partition 120 GB’s and took all the space from January.
12. I made sure it was a primary partition. {Click on primary because default in partition magic is {extended logical}.
13. In the lower left hand corner click on apply. The computer will reboot to do this.
14. Now you have a 40 GB {Partition 1} with Windows XP operating system.
15. You also have a PRIMARY {Partition 2} of 120 GB’s.
16. Open Partition Magic and right click on the 120GB partition and click on label and label it February.
17. Now I opened Partition Magic and click on “create a new partition”.
18. Unchecked all the boxes except February and created a logical partition 80 GB’s. Clicked apply. Took all the space from February.
19. Now February is 40 GB’s.
20. Open Partition Magic and right click on the 80 GB and label it March.
21. I opened Partition Magic and in the upper left hand corner selected “create a new partition.”
22. Unchecked all the boxes except March and created a logical partition 50 GB’s. Clicked apply. Took all the space from March.
23. Right clicked and labeled the new partition April.
24. I opened Partition Magic and in the upper left hand corner selected “create a new partition.”
25. Unchecked all the boxes except April and created a logical {FAT 32}partition two {2}GB’s. That’s right, only 2 GB’s. Clicked apply. Took all the space from April.
26. Right clicked on the 2GB’s and labeled it “Boot Magic”. But still have NOT installed boot magic.
27. I then right clicked on Partition Two Labeled February and at the bottom “click on advanced and set Partition Two ACTIVE {the partition it will boot to}. Partition 2 is a blank partition with NOTHING on it.
28. I put the Vista DVD in the DVD rom drive and booted.
29. Vista loaded and asked me which partition I wanted to load Vista on and I selected February.
30. Vista installed perfectly and I booted it several times to make sure. I installed some small programs including Adobe 8.0 and Nero 7.
31. AT THIS POINT I CAN’T GET OUT OF VISTA.
32. The only way to get out of Vista is to put the “Boot Magic Rescue Disk Floppy” in the USB drive {I use an external floppy disk that plugs into USB port}and boot the computer.
33. The floppy loads and asks me which partition I want to boot to.
34. I choose Partition 1 {January} and press enter and unclick the floppy from the floppy drive so it doesn’t load again.
35. It boots perfectly to Windows XP Professional.
36. NOW I INSTALL BOOT MAGIC and it goes right into the 2GB partition labeled “Boot Magic”.
37. I now click on the “Boot Magic” folder and click on the wrench folder {It has a picture of a wrench”.}
38. I make sure only January is the default {Windows XP} and put a check mark in the box in the lower left hand corner and reboot.
39. The computer boots to Boot Magic and gives me a choice of Windows XP or Vista.
40. After I boot several times to each one to make sure it is a true dual boot I open boot magic again and click on each partition and click on properties and label one XP Pro and one Vista. Now when it boots to “Boot Magic” I see which is which.

MESSAGE # 2.

A hard drive is a hard drive.

The computer came with a recovery disk that restores it to the condition when you bought it.

Remember the key words in my numbered list of what I did were DELETE the recovery partition and DELETE the OS partition so you start with an unformatted hard drive of 160 GB's.

THIS IS HOW EVERY PC THAT IS PRODUCED STARTS.

MANY people are stuck with VISTA and don’t like it.

How confident am I that this laptop is stable? I expect never to be called to fix it.

Consumers need to know they are not stuck with $100’s of dollar items they don’t like and can’t resolve without paying someone more $$ to change it.

They can go to this web site; and get different advice to do the same thing.

»www.vistabootpro.org/

They call it dual boot. I call mine dual boot.

Their’s is controlled by Windows, mine is controlled by ME.

I can turn mine on and off. They can’t turn their’s on or off.

I can hide one and only boot to VISTA or only boot to WINDOWS. They can’t.

In my setup Windows XP doesn’t see Windows VISTA and VISTA doesn’t see XP.

In my setup you can NOT access Partition Magic from within VISTA. You must follow number 32 to get out of VISTA.

People may be interested in what I did.

MESSAGE # 3.

Manipulating a hard drive is EASY.

Because I forget easy being in my mid seventies I always practice my techniques when I get the opportunity and this new purchase of the MT6840 Gateway was right up my alley. I couldn’t wait to get it home.

Here is what I did just for fun.

HERE IS THE PART I LEFT OUT OF MY ORIGINAL POST to start this thread.

After I installed Windows XP on the 160 GB hard drive.{Steps #1 to 4}.

1. I installed Powerquest Drive Image 7.0 and NetFramework 1.1
2. I opened it and selected “Back up a drive”.
3. I made the target a folder in my external hard drive labeled “MT6840 Partition 1,January”.
4. I saved the Partition labeled “January” with Windows XP Professional into this folder.
5. I opened Partition Magic and partitioned the hard drive into “February” and “March” partitions 2 and 3 with 40 GB’s.
6. At this point I had a hard drive with 160 GB’s divided into:
7. Primary Partition 1, labeled January with 40GB’s with Windows XP Professional
8. Primary Partition 2, labeled February with 40.2GB’s of blank NTFS.
9. Primary Partition 3, labeled March with 40.4GB’s of blank NTFS.
10. And an extended logical partition of 38 + GB’s of blank NTFS
11. Then I opened Partition Magic again and created a new partition 1.5 GB’s of FAT32 for the “Boot Magic” installation which I still had NOT installed.
12. I then practiced how I trick windows.
13. This amazed me because it went off so smooth even I was shocked.
14. Here is what I did.
15. I edited the boot loader on Windows XP Professional by right clicking on My Computer and click on properties and choose the advanced button and click on the bottom SETTINGS button and choose edit. *Save a copy before you change it so if you screw it up you can go back to the original settings which look exactly like the three I have posted below so if you forget to save a copy use mine.

This is how the three different boot loaders look, but remember it is still the same operating system…just a DIFFERENT NUMBERED BOOT LOADER.

16. Partition One Boot Loader

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" fastdetect/

17. Partition Two Boot Loader
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" fastdetect/

18.Partition Three Boot Loader.
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" fastdetect/

19. Next I opened the boot loader and changed the number from 1 to 2 and:{Tricking Windows} Clicked SAVE CHANGES so the boot loader is changed.

20. I opened PowerQuest Drive Image 7.0 and selected “Back up a drive”.

21. I made the target a folder in my external hard drive
labeled “MT6840 Partition 2, February”.

22. As soon as the “Dive Image” was saved I opened “the boot loader” and changed the number back from #2 to # 1. You must do this right away so you don’t forget. Remember I only have one operating system but I am saving it THREE times with THREE different boot loader numbers which are 1, 2, and 3.

23. Next I booted.

24. I opened PowerQuest Drive Image 7.0 and selected “Restore a drive”.

25. I restored the saved “Drive Image” of “MT6840 Partition 2, February” to the Primary Partition 2, labeled February with 40.2GB’s of blank NTFS.

26. Next I opened the boot loader and changed the number from 1 to 3 and:{Tricking Windows} Clicked SAVE CHANGES so the boot loader is changed.

27. I opened PowerQuest Drive Image 7.0 and selected “Back up a drive”.

28. I made the target a folder in my external hard drive
labeled “MT6840 Partition 3, March”.

29. As soon as the “Dive Image” was saved I opened “the boot loader” and changed the number back from #3 to # 1. You must do this right away so you don’t forget. Remember I only have one operating system but I am saving it THREE times with THREE different boot loader numbers which are 1, 2, and 3.

30. Next I booted.

31. I opened PowerQuest Drive Image 7.0 and selected “Restore a drive”.

32. I restored the saved “Drive Image” of “MT6840 Partition 3, March” to the Primary Partition 3, labeled March with 40.4GB’s of blank NTFS.

33. Now I have three operating systems of Windows XP Professional installed on January, February and March.
34. At this point I don’t have to install “Boot Magic” if I don’t want to.
35. I can navigate from one to the other by simply opening Partition Magic and setting the one I want to use “ACTIVE”.
36. I installed “Boot Magic” and booted to all three perfectly. I was very pleased.

Having practiced “Tricking Windows” I now I had to go back to getting the computer ready so I opened “Partition Magic” and deleted the following partitions
in this order.

1. I deleted the FAT 32 partition.
2. I deleted the Logical Partition.
3. I deleted Primary Partition 3, March
4. I formatted Primary Partition 2 using NTFS.
5. I created a new extended logical partition from the unformatted space created by deleting the FAT 32, Logical and March Partitions.

6. I then put the Vista DVD in the DVD drive and booted to formatted blank NTFS partition two which I set “ACTIVE”.

7. This is step # 28 on the original post on this thread.

So you can see I had fun and it went off without the slightest mishap.
I was impressed with the MT6840.

Disclaimer: This is just me experimenting and I remind you of the EULA you agree to when you purchase Microsoft products and I in no way advocate violating that agreement.

I save the drive images and only use one at a time therefore abiding by the EULA. I usually delete them as fast as I make them like I did yesterday with the Gateway MT6840.

All of my operating systems work independent of each other because I partition the hard drive without using Microsoft Windows. I partition them with Partition Magic.
I can set a system restore point on anyone of them and it has no effect on the other operating systems on the other partitions.

IN OTHERWORDS it is a true partition, separate, and independent, unknown to Windows.

PS: , I like Ubuntu.

Quiz for anyone reading this far. WHY DID I MAKE THE PARTITIONS
40GB's
40.2GB's
40.4GB's
I bet you don't know.

MESSAGE # 4.

This is especially for Howie.

I want leave you with one thought.
Last week on a computer I was having fun and installed operating systems on one 250 GB hard drive in this order.

Partition 1 Vista

Partition 2 Vista

Partition 3 Vista

Partition 4 Windows XP

NOW HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?

Plus I quad booted to each one using Partition Magic’s Boot Magic and could make any one of them the default and hide the rest and turn off boot magic.

I discovery I can do anything with Vista I can do with XP.
I can even save a Vista partition {Copy a partition} of 80 GB’s and open Partition Magic and click on resize and change it to 40 GB’s, than DELETE the partition I copied and restore the resized 40 GB Vista partition to the deleted partition.

I am just having fun and in no way advocate violating the EULA in any of the products I use.

For example, after I performed this experiment I put the Powermax 4.23 drive eraser in the external floppy drive and erased the hard drive to zero and planned my next experiment.

Howie , you should like this...I put four Vista operating systems on one 250 GB hard drive and booted to all four using Boot Magic. Try and figure that out!

Candle
Like a candle in the wind
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Fosston, MN
kudos:2

Did someone say something?

Jimmy Carter4

Mooresville, NC

4 edits
reply to howie1

Double post

Jimmy Carter4

Mooresville, NC

1 edit
reply to howie1

The reason I figured out how to make the CD is because people have asked how to make it and they had the recovery folder.

You can't boot from the recovery folder.

Of course I purchased NSW 5 and it came with two CD's.

But people are screwed that buy the product and only get one CD and need the recovey CD and don't want to spend another freaking $69. for a recovery CD.

Jimmy Carter4

Mooresville, NC
reply to Candle

I am in Tennessee right now, when I get back to North Carolina I'll post the directions for you Les.

niel4

@centurytel.net
reply to Jimmy Carter4

How do you step 32 if your puter has no floppy drive and you don't have a usb floppy?

A broader question....how do you put floppy recovery disk (for any program) files onto a cd (or usb pen drive)and make it bootable so the cd does what a bootable floppy disc would do?

howie1
Premium
Antarctica

4 edits

1 recommendation

reply to Jimmy Carter4

said by Jimmy Carter4:

But people are screwed that buy the product and only get one CD and need the recovey CD and don't want to spend another freaking $69. for a recovery CD.
The Recovery CD is included in the purchase (either the Recovery CD in Norton System Works or the Ghost 9 Program CD). Why in the world would someone need to spend another $69?
BTW, In the last few forum polls concerning Imaging Utilities, TI blows away any other software (including Norton) and is preferred by a huge majority of imaging software users in this forum. Certainly, if it works for you then that's great but calling TI "the worse there is" is just plain wrong as many here wouldn't use a computer without it (including myself).

[EDIT] Link to last year's Backup and Imaging Poll:
»[POLL] Backup and Imaging Software 2006 Members Choice

Indy Sabre
Sabre Rider From Indianapolis

join:2003-10-02
reply to Jimmy Carter4

If you make a CD or DVD image of any partition it makes the first disk a bootable ghost disk. At least this is how Ghost 2003 works.

howie1
Premium
Antarctica

said by Indy Sabre:

If you make a CD or DVD image of any partition it makes the first disk a bootable ghost disk. At least this is how Ghost 2003 works.
True, but this all changed with Ghost 9, which uses the program CD itself (or the Recovery CD included with NSW) to perform full system restores. Ghosts 9-11 used a custom version of Windows PE and 12 uses a custom Vista setup environment.
--
Some people see the glass as half full. Others see it as half empty. Jack Bauer sees the glass as a deadly weapon.

Jimmy Carter4

Mooresville, NC

2 edits

Howie, I asked you a question on my long post and I removed the message about Acronis but that was my experience with it...it was slow and many times it just stops and that's it.

With Partition Magic I can do anything I want but you have to learn how to use it. Why don't you try what I have posted...you will be astonished.

Did you read my long message above and start up a spare computer and try what I wrote plus I asked you a question at the very end.

A few months ago I built a MSI Platinum P6N Motherboard, E-6700 Intel CPU 3GB's Ram system and can restore or save any operating system in less than 3 minutes.

I can do anything with Windows Vista I can do with Windows XP using Partition Magic 8.0.

Thompsi

@rangehomedsl.co.uk
reply to Jimmy Carter4

Re: Make a Recovery Disk and use Partition Magic with VISTA.

I use Ghost 9 regularly and restore often. My bugbear is the long time it takes the recovery CD to boot and get to the point of restore.

Is it possible to create a bootable pen drive with the Norton Recovery software onboard to speed the whole process up? Or better still boot the recovery environment from a second IDE hard drive on my system?

Jimmy Carter4

Mooresville, NC

It does take a while but it is worth it's weight in gold. How many recovery enironments ignores the parameter?

Norton Ghost will restore a 70 GB's drive image onto a 50 GB partition..

Name ONE other image software recovery disk that will do that! !

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

1 recommendation

said by Jimmy Carter4:

It does take a while but it is worth it's weight in gold. How many recovery enironments ignores the parameter?

Norton Ghost will restore a 70 GB's drive image onto a 50 GB partition..

Name ONE other image software recovery disk that will do that! !
Acronis.

Jimmy Carter4

Mooresville, NC

I just installed Acronis 10. I'll find out in a little while if you are correct.

salzan
Experienced Optimist
Premium
join:2004-01-08
WA State
reply to Jimmy Carter4

For some reason I keep thinking of the old Popular Mechanics type of articles: How to make a screwdriver out of a pair of pliers or How to make a pair of pliers out of two screwdrivers.

Or the ever popular: How to make a hammer out of pliers and screwdrivers previously used to make screwdrivers and pliers.