Jimmy Carter4

join:2007-09-24
Mooresville, NC

1 edit

3 recommendations

Make your own Windows XP CD.

Make your own Windows XP CD.
by JimmyCarter- 9/24/07 8:44AM

Don't let the length of this scare you..I wrote it for people that are NOT so PC smart and they understand pictures so I made it picture friendly to show them how easy it is. THEY COULD DO IT!!!!!
Make your own Windows XP CD from your operating system that is installed on your own computer. The windows product key is on the tower and it will work and will instantly be recognized as the legal operating system for your computer when you use the Windows XP CD you make to install the operating system.

Step number 1.

First you have to click on my computer and then click on Drive C and then click on Windows and see if the i386 folder is present. If the i386 folder is there you can make your own XP CD, if it is not present you can’t make the CD…. HOWEVER if you do have a recovery disk I can show you how to get the i386 folder from the recovery disk. I am sure it is on the recovery disk.

Here is a picture of the Windows folder showing the i386 folder. Notice is is after the help folder on mine.

»img110.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ··· 6xh2.jpg

Step number 2.

Click on drive C and then click on file and click on new and create a new folder in drive C.

Right click on the new folder and select rename and name it exactly like this:XPSETUP

Here is a picture of how drive C will look when you finish step 2.

»img112.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ··· cby6.jpg

Step number 3.

Click on drive C again and click on Windows and click on the i386 folder and copy it into the XPSETUP folder you just created. This may take 4 or 5 minutes to do.

Here is a picture of the XPSETUP folder showing the size of the i386 folder when I hold the mouse over the folder. 453 MB of data.

»img66.imageshack.us/my.php?image ··· ebr6.jpg

Step number 4.

Boot files.

»www.nu2.nu/download.php?sFile=wx ··· xp10.zip

A very small CD burner that we use.

»fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Im ··· 426215/1

Here is a picture of what it looks like when you are finished.

»img174.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ··· rfj2.jpg

Step number 5.

Open the CD burner and boot files folder and right click on the wxp10 zip file and select extract here and a cds folder appears as shown in this picture.

»img62.imageshack.us/my.php?image ··· szc5.jpg

Now click on the cds folder and it opens TWO new folders labeled wxphome and wxppro.

Click on the wxphome and open it and three files appear…. ONLY click on the folder labeled files and three files are in the folder labeled w2ksect, win51, and win51ic.

Now open drive C and copy or drag the file labeled w2ksect into drive C so it looks like this picture:

»img267.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ··· ecu6.jpg

It doesn’t matter what the icon looks like as long as it is the w2ksect file.
Step number 6.
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

»img71.imageshack.us/my.php?image ··· stt6.jpg

Step number 6.
For Windows XP Home Service Pack 2

Click on start and click on programs and click on accessories and right click on notepad and pin it to the start menu.

Open note pad and type the word Windows and then ONE time hit the space bar like you were going to type another word. and then hit enter to bring it down one line only. Type Windows with a capital W like I have it.

Now click on file and save as and type “win51” and save it into the XPSETUP folder in drive C. Be sure to put the quotes exactly as I have them.

Do it again and this time save as “win51ic” into XPSETUP folder.

Do it again and this time save as “win51ic.SP1” into XPSETUP folder.

Do it again and this time save as “win51ic.SP2” into XPSETUP folder.

When you are finished this is what the XPSETUP folder looks like.

»img406.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ··· 1pi3.jpg

Step number 6.

For Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
Click on start and click on programs and click on accessories and right click on notepad and pin it to the start menu.

Open note pad and type the word Windows and then ONE time hit the space bar like you were going to type another word. and then hit enter to bring it down one line only. Type Windows with a capital W like I have it.

Now click on file and save as and type “win51” and save it into the XPSETUP folder in drive C. Be sure to put the quotes exactly as I have them.

Do it again and this time save as “win51iP” into XPSETUP folder.

Do it again and this time save as “win51iP.SP1” into XPSETUP folder.

Do it again and this time save as “win51iP.SP2” into XPSETUP folder.

»img177.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ··· otd0.jpg

Step number 7.

Open notepad and Copy and Paste what I have below starting with IBB and including the words [END_BACKUP_OPTIONS]

On the left hand side click on desktop and save it to the desktop just like this:
Click on file and save as “XPSETUP.ibb” {including the quotes}exactly as this onto the desktop.

IBB

[START_BACKUP_OPTIONS]
BuildMode=1
Destination=0
TestMode=0
Verify=1
WriteSpeed=0
Copies=0
FileSystem=0
PreserveFullPathnames=0
RecurseSubdirectories=1
IncludeHiddenFiles=0
IncludeSystemFiles=0
IncludeArchiveFilesOnly=0
AddToWriteQueueWhenDone=0
ClearArchiveAttribute=0
VolumeLabel_ISO9660=VRMHOEM_EN
VolumeLabel_Joliet=
VolumeLabel_UDF=
Identifier_System=
Identifier_VolumeSet=
Identifier_Publisher=
Identifier_Preparer=
Identifier_Application=
Dates_FolderFileType=0
Restrictions_ISO9660_InterchangeLevel=0
Restrictions_ISO9660_AllowMoreThan8DirectoryLevels =1
Restrictions_ISO9660_AllowMoreThan255CharactersInP ath=1
Restrictions_ISO9660_AllowFullASCIICharacterSet=1
Restrictions_ISO9660_DontAddVersionNumberToFiles=1
Restrictions_Joliet_InterchangeLevel=1
Restrictions_Joliet_AddVersionNumberToFiles=0
BootableDisc_MakeImageBootable=1
BootableDisc_MediaEmulationType=0
BootableDisc_BootImageFile=C:\w2ksect.bin
BootableDisc_DeveloperIdentifier=
BootableDisc_LoadSegment=07C0
BootableDisc_LoadSectorCount=4
[END_BACKUP_OPTIONS]

[START_BACKUP_LIST]
C:\XPSETUP
[END_BACKUP_LIST]

Here is a picture of what it looks like on the desktop:

»img528.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ··· euu1.jpg

Step number 8 is big so I made it 8A and 8B.

Step number 8 A

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step number 8 A.

Open the CD burner and boot files folder and click on the and install Imgburn.

After it is installed click on it and run it and it opens like this:

»img208.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ··· nnp3.jpg

Click on the X on the ImgLog underneath and close it.

Now click on mode and select build and it looks like this:

»img517.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ··· drk5.jpg

Now click on file and select load project…it looks like this:

»img504.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ··· tmo5.jpg

This is the picture that open when you load the project, NOW CLICK ON the
XPSETUP file and it will load the project to burn the Windows XP CD.
Make sure you put a clean CD-R CD in the CD drive.

»img504.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ··· ecx6.jpg

If you do it right here is what it looks like. It will say project loaded successfully.

»img517.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ··· ldj8.jpg

Now click on options and choose ISO9660+Joliet like I show in this picture.

»img205.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ··· teq1.jpg

Step number 8 B

Now click on Label. Since I am doing my HP Windows XP Home SP 1a and SP 2 OEM….I will label the example in my picture: X1AHOEM_EN
You will label yours whatever you PC is.

Windows XP Home OEM WXHOEM_EN
Windows XP Home SP 1 OEM XRMHOEM_EN
Windows XP Home SP 1a and SP 2 OEM X1AHOEM_EN
Windows XP Professional OEM WXPOEM_EN
Windows XP Professional SP 1 OEM XRMPOEM_EN
Windows XP Professional SP 1a and SP 2 OEM X1APOEM_EN

Here is the picture and it is ready to write the Windows XP CD. Notice in the lower left hand corner of the picture it says “ready” which means I have the correct blank CD in the CD drive.
Click on the folder and picture of CD I highlighted for you and it will write the CD now.

»img505.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ··· dud3.jpg

When your CD is finished writing the Windows XP files onto the CD leave the CD in the drive and boot the computer and if it boots to “select any key to boot from CD” you did it right if Windows starts the installing process.

Now listen, don’t go deleting your operating system because you now have a Windows XP CD that came with your computer.

Make sure it works first and don’t do anything stupid.

The best way to see if it works is to boot to it and choose R for repair and see if it loads. If it loads perfectly and you enter repair mode it may be OK.

Test install on a partition you create just for it. Name the new partition Test XP and boot from the Windows XP CD you made and choose Test XP partition as the target for the installation.

The first time I did this I didn’t the use Joliet file system and some files didn’t load but it still installed correctly without them.

I saved all my pictures urls to my favorites so if any picture does not load correctly alert me and I’ll post it again.

Note, if don’t use the Joliet file system any - or similar symbols would not be recognized and therefore would not load when installing the operating system from the XP CD you made.

The three that won't load are cyclad-Z.inf and cyclom-y.inf and SV-262el.png and notice they all have a hyphen.

Although when I first did it without using the Joliet file system it still installed perfectly and I didn’t bother to look up how these three files {MISSING} would effect the operating system.

If you have a problem and want to post a picture for me to help you:

Here are the steps to post a picture on the internet .Takes three minutes.

1. Post the picture on your desktop.
2. Click on print screen key. It is the key to the right of F12.
3. Click on paint. Paint is found under Start, programs, accessories, paint. Right click on it and "pin to start menu".
4. Click on edit and click on "paste".
5. Click on file and "save as" and change to JPEG format so it is in KB's and not MB's.
6. Save it to the desktop.
7. Open image shack and click on browse. »imageshack.us/
8. Click on desktop because that is where you saved the picture.
9. Click on the picture and it loads on image shack. Click "host it'.
10. When image shack loads it is small. Click on it and make it big.
11. Right click on it and get the URL or copy the url from the address bar if it is visible. Either one will work because they are the same.
12. Save it to bookmarks and post the url in your notes for reference.

Finally, I tested all URL links before posting and they all work perfectly.

I saved all my URL addresses to my favorites so if any picture does not load correctly alert me and I’ll post it again.

** Important….the i386 folder must be under approximately 700 MB’s or it won’t fit on the CD-R. Look at my picture in step 3 of what is in my i386 folder and imitate it. Notice mine only has 453 MB’s.

If anyone gets stuck, I’ll post the contents of my i386 folder in a picture.

Remember if you don’t have an i386 folder you can’t make a Windows XP CD.

Good luck and don’t give up. It is easy to do.

Here is a list of all the url's in the order used:

»img110.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ··· 6xh2.jpg

»img112.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ··· cby6.jpg

»img66.imageshack.us/my.php?image ··· ebr6.jpg

»www.nu2.nu/download.php?sFile=wx ··· xp10.zip

»fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Im ··· 426215/1

»img174.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ··· rfj2.jpg

»img62.imageshack.us/my.php?image ··· szc5.jpg

»img267.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ··· ecu6.jpg

»img71.imageshack.us/my.php?image ··· stt6.jpg

»img406.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ··· 1pi3.jpg

»img177.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ··· otd0.jpg

»img528.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ··· euu1.jpg

»img208.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ··· nnp3.jpg

»img517.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ··· drk5.jpg

»img504.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ··· tmo5.jpg

»img504.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ··· ecx6.jpg

»img517.imageshack.us/my.php?

image=projectloadedsuccessfuldj8.jpg

»img205.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ··· teq1.jpg

»img505.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ··· dud3.jpg

Retired6
Premium
join:2002-11-09
Earth
Yep, it works.

I successfully made a cd..:+)

DOStradamus
MVM
join:2003-11-04
Santa Rosa, CA

1 recommendation

reply to Jimmy Carter4
That assumes that the I386 tree exists on the hard drive...

If so, why go through all the hassle above? just burn \I386 and everything in it (only) to a CD. To run SETUP, CD to \I386, and use the command WINNT.

-NK

No boots

@rr.com
said by DOStradamus:

just burn \I386 and everything in it (only) to a CD. To run SETUP, CD to \I386, and use the command WINNT.
I tried that and the computer does not recognize the CD. It keeps saying "Insert bootable media".

AB
Premium
join:2006-04-04
Leesburg, VA
kudos:3
reply to DOStradamus
said by DOStradamus:

If so, why go through all the hassle above? just burn \I386 and everything in it (only) to a CD. To run SETUP, CD to \I386, and use the command WINNT.
Hmmmm. This gets my attention.

I have (had) an OEM install that my Recovery CD's are no longer (apparently) usable to me from.

I also happen to have the I386 folder that was in the Windows folder from that installation backed up & stored on CD.

You're saying I can just use that I386 folder to reinstall the OEM installation?

If so, what are the exact commands I would need or use again, please?

Thanks.

No Boots

@rr.com
reply to DOStradamus
said by DOStradamus:

-NK
Where do I put the service pack files ? Did you find a way to make the CD boot ? I cannot run any commands unless the computer boots up.

howie1
Premium
join:2003-04-08
Antarctica
kudos:4

1 edit
reply to DOStradamus
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you can boot a Windows 98 Startup floppy with CD ROM support (assuming you have a floppy drive and a Win98 startup floppy), change to the drive with the CD containing the i386 folder and then type WINNT when inside the i386 folder.
--
Some people see the glass as half full. Others see it as half empty. Jack Bauer sees the glass as a deadly weapon.

Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to Jimmy Carter4
Already own Windows XP Pro CD do not think i need to make my own

howie1
Premium
Antarctica
said by 47717768:

Already own Windows XP Pro CD do not think i need to make my own
Yes, but think of all the fun you'll have making one!
--
Some people see the glass as half full. Others see it as half empty. Jack Bauer sees the glass as a deadly weapon.

No Boots

@rr.com
reply to howie1
said by howie1:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you can boot a Windows 98 Startup floppy with CD ROM support (assuming you have a floppy drive and a Win98 startup floppy), change to the drive with the CD containing the i386 folder and then type WINNT when inside the i386 folder.
I boot with 98 and has cdrom support, but I cannot se anything in the i386 folder. he shows no files. In WIndows he shows driver.cab and sp2.cab

Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to howie1
I like to have fun with n-lite

DOStradamus
MVM
Santa Rosa, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to howie1
To make a bootable Win98 DOS floppy (or image for a bootable CD) with the minimum for installing XP, et.al:

FORMAT/S under Win98 DOS

Copy these files over to it:
HIMEM.SYS
OAKCDROM.SYS
MSCDEX.EXE
SMARTDRV.EXE

Make this your CONFIG.SYS:
DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=OAKCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD069
DOS=HIGH
LASTDRIVE=X

And this for AUTOEXEC.BAT:
MSCDEX /D:MSCD069 /L:X
SMARTDRV

This loads the SMARTDRV disk cache (*very* important), and makes the CD-ROM drive letters start at X: , so we can boot off it, then:
X:
CD \I386
WINNT

...and we're off the the races!

-NK

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA
said by DOStradamus:

. . This loads the SMARTDRV disk cache (*very* important), and makes the CD-ROM drive letters start at X: , so we can boot off it, then:
X:
CD \I386
WINNT

re: My specific situation (Win98 & floppies out of the picture)--

Disregard the 'X:', change 'X:' to 'C:', or change 'X:' to whatever letter my CD drive is currently set at?

Thanks.

javaMan
The Dude abides.
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-15
San Luis Obispo, CA

3 edits
Click for full size
said by AB:

said by DOStradamus:

. . This loads the SMARTDRV disk cache (*very* important), and makes the CD-ROM drive letters start at X: , so we can boot off it, then:
X:
CD \I386
WINNT

re: My specific situation (Win98 & floppies out of the picture)--

Disregard the 'X:', change 'X:' to 'C:', or change 'X:' to whatever letter my CD drive is currently set at?

Thanks.
There a several ways to create a boot disk but the simplest is to use something like Nero which includes a feature to create a bootable CD since many, if not most, computers no longer have floppy disks. Do you use Nero?
--
Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness. . . Isa. 5:20

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA
said by javaMan:

There a several ways to create a boot disk but the simplest is to use something like Nero which includes a feature to create a bootable CD since many, if not most, computers no longer have floppy disks. Do you use Nero?
No, I don't use Nero. What does creating a boot disk have to do with this?

I'm asking a clarification question of someone who says I can (apparently or theoretically) reinstall my OEM XP installation directly from an I386 folder using a couple of DOS commands.

javaMan
The Dude abides.
Premium,MVM
San Luis Obispo, CA

3 edits

1 recommendation

said by AB:

said by javaMan:

No, I don't use Nero. What does creating a boot disk have to do with this?

I'm asking a clarification question of someone who says I can (apparently or theoretically) reinstall my OEM XP installation directly from an I386 folder using a couple of DOS commands.
The CD needs to be bootable when the computer starts or you will get the message the other guy got "Insert bootable media." In other words, an operating system must be loaded from the CD in order to be able to do anything else. Once the computer has an operating system running, it's simply a case of logging onto the CD drive, usually the next letter after all the logical drives (on mine it's F:) and then navigating to the i386 directory that was burned to the CD and executing WINNT.
--
Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness. . . Isa. 5:20

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA
said by javaMan:

said by AB:

What does creating a boot disk have to do with this? . . .
The CD needs to be bootable when the computer starts or you will get the message the other guy got "Insert bootable media." In other words, an operating system must be loaded from the CD in order to be able to do anything else. Once the computer has an operating system running, it's simply a case of logging onto the CD drive, usually the next letter after all the logical drives (on mine it's F:) and then navigating to the i386 directory that was burned to the CD and executing WINNT.
Ah! Now your talkin'! Thanks, javaMan!

All of those parameters are already in place for me.
Also Acronis backups of my current installation.

I may just have to run this one on up the ol' flagpole.
Thank you again, javaMan.

DOStradamus
MVM
Santa Rosa, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to javaMan
Can I ask what I hope to be a *REALLY DUMB* question around here, but how many of you out there don't have an old, used and spare hard drive sitting around someplace?

I think I'm getting closer and closer to never needing to ever see a barber again, every time some poster here needs some kind of alternate bootable device, doesn't have a floppy drive, can't make a bootable CD (or hasn't, and can't because his 'puter's broken).

I cannot stress enough how important it is, to have just one other bootable disk of some sort around.

TO CLEAR ONE THING UP: the MSCDEX.EXE switch "/L:" specifies where to start assigning CD-ROM drive letters. Pick a "high" enough one, and the AUTOEXEC.BAT on the floppy image, that's loaded as the boot image on your CD, can then look like this:

SMARTDRV
X:
CD \I386
WINNT

.... and you can walk up to *almost any" computer, and boot right off the CD into Windows SETUP!

-NK

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA
said by DOStradamus:

. . I think I'm getting closer and closer to never needing to ever see a barber again, every time some poster here needs some kind of alternate bootable device, doesn't have a floppy drive, can't make a bootable CD (or hasn't, and can't because his 'puter's broken).

I cannot stress enough how important it is, to have just one other bootable disk of some sort around.
Is this directed at me?
I have several discs stored that I can boot from. I don't recall asking "how can I make a boot CD?"

TO CLEAR ONE THING UP: the MSCDEX.EXE switch "/L:" specifies where to start assigning CD-ROM drive letters. Pick a "high" enough one, and the AUTOEXEC.BAT on the floppy image, that's loaded as the boot image on your CD, can then look like this:

SMARTDRV
X:
CD \I386
WINNT

.... and you can walk up to *almost any" computer, and boot right off the CD into Windows SETUP!
Yeah, that's about as clear as mud, at first glance.
It might look to be in crystal-sharp focus to you, but not to me.

I've gotten the information I need, though. Maybe.
Thank you anyway.

javaMan
The Dude abides.
Premium,MVM
San Luis Obispo, CA

1 recommendation

said by AB:

said by DOStradamus:

SMARTDRV
X:
CD \I386
WINNT

Yeah, that's about as clear as mud, at first glance.
It might look to be in crystal-sharp focus to you, but not to me.

I've gotten the information I need, though. Maybe.
Thank you anyway.
Using the information above in the autoexec.bat file eliminates the need to issue the commands to start the setup manually. And by assigning a drive letter high in the alphabet you can minimize the possibility of running into conflicts with logical drive assignments if a computer has several hard drives. The information isn't critical to making a usable CD, but it makes life easier.
--

installer

@comcast.net

1 recommendation

reply to Jimmy Carter4
Or you can go to »www.nliteos.com/ download the free software and create a fully custom install cd

Jimmy Carter4

Mooresville, NC
reply to DOStradamus
Hey, you don't need a hard drive to test it. Create a partition, it is really easy to do.

Jimmy Carter4

Mooresville, NC
reply to DOStradamus
I posted how to make your own Norton Ghost 9.0 recovery disk on the software forum..

Creat a partition , install two operating systems..

Restore quickly using the recovery disk environment.

Jimmy Carter4

Mooresville, NC
reply to installer
But my CD is recognized as the CD that came with the OEM computer...

I went the nLite route years ago.

The smallest one I made was 180MB but it was not legal. I couldn't activate it.

matradley
Premium
join:2003-07-03
Ontario
reply to installer
said by installer :

Or you can go to »www.nliteos.com/ download the free software and create a fully custom install cd
+1 for that.. Or you can use the Sysprep utility provided with the XP installation disk. :P

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to Jimmy Carter4
Users can still run into problems depending on their methods of booting.

For example if someone is booting a self built or OEM (Dell, HP, Compaq or other) PC with a HDD already formatted in NTFS and uses an antiquated boot method that doesn’t recognize NTFS it could get a little sketchy.

But basically all you need are the install files and the ability to boot,…

***edit***
If you already have the i386 folder on the HDD (preferably in a location that wont be overwritten during the installation) the installation can be started from there within windows using the WINNT32.exe file or at the comand prompt using WINNT.exe.

KrazyDawg

join:2001-02-07
San Francisco, CA

1 recommendation

reply to No Boots
said by No Boots :

said by howie1:

I boot with 98 and has cdrom support, but I cannot se anything in the i386 folder. he shows no files. In WIndows he shows driver.cab and sp2.cab
You can also download a boot disk for any OS from »www.bootdisk.com/

jays2345

join:2006-05-16
va.
reply to Jimmy Carter4
you guys just reminded me how much i hate windows

howie1
Premium
Antarctica
reply to KrazyDawg
said by KrazyDawg:

said by No Boots :

said by howie1:

You can also download a boot disk for any OS from »www.bootdisk.com/
Thanks, it's been so long since I needed one that I forgot about bootdisk.com. Excellent suggestion.
--

Jimmy Carter4

Mooresville, NC
Howie, your wrong.

I only posted it because a lot of people got OEM computers and no Windows XP CD to reinstall the operating system..

The very best thing about my CD method is that it is instantly recognized by Microsoft as the operating system that came loaded on the computer.