PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown

Premium Member

Eavesdropping?

A lot of states (not all) require that the other party be notified is a call is being monitored or recorded... so how does that work if the party you are calling isn't using this service? Are they breaching any laws?

On a side note: Is anyone comfortable with the fact that google and other companies are scanning your emails for contextual advertisements?

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx

Premium Member

Yes, I'm completely comfortable with it. I was fully aware of what AdSense does when I signed up for my gmail account.

I truly don't see what the problem is. You have to have a certain level of trust that Google/gmail isn't doing something nefarious with your email. If they were "bad guys" and mined their email for identity theft purposes, guess what, that has nothing to do with AdSense. Microsoft Hotmail, Comcast, AT&T, etc could theoretically all be quietly mining your email. In fact, there's a high possibility a similar sort of "scanner" is running on every message you receive to try and identify it as spam or virus content. So what's the difference, really?

Same goes for this new "pudding" phone service. Sounds like it could be a lot of fun seeing what sorts of things trigger certain ads. The software "listening" to the conversation doesn't care if I have a racy or intimate conversation. If the idea of some company listening in on your conversations scares you, well, that's fine but the same fear should apply to any telecom company you choose!

I also totally understand if your stomach churns at the idea of yet another ad scheme. The "privacy" argument against it just isn't a good scapegoat. They're clear about what they're doing upfront. If you think it's creepy the answer is simple, don't use the service!
soccerguy9
join:2004-06-28
Seattle, WA

soccerguy9

I think the gist of his post was that it is against the law to electronically monitor or record a telephone conversation unless both parties on the call consent to it.

It's an interesting question.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown

Premium Member

quote:
They're clear about what they're doing upfront. If you think it's creepy the answer is simple, don't use the service!

Well thats my point - as a user of the service, you are agreeing to the fact that your communications (be it via email or telephone) are being scanned and monitored for advertising purposes however the person you are speaking with on the phone or communicating with via email have not accepted this.

I think there needs to be a more stringent standard about how personal and private information will be used within companies and how that information will be shared with third parties, including affiliates and subsidiaries.

PolarBear03
The bear formerly known as aaron8301
Premium Member
join:2005-01-03

PolarBear03 to PhoenixDown

Premium Member

to PhoenixDown
The call IS NOT RECORDED. It is listened to by a computer, but NOT STORED (i.e. recorded).

The same as you listen to everything you hear, but that doesn't mean that your brain kicks out a CD every 80 minutes.

BuriedCaesar3
It's Not Polite To Stare.
join:2004-03-27
Richardson, TX

BuriedCaesar3

Riiiiiiight. [insert tongue in cheek]

And do you also believe that when you delete an email from your computer, or from the "server", it's GONE permanently and is irretrievable?

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium Member
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX

Thespis to soccerguy9

Premium Member

to soccerguy9
quote:
I think the gist of his post was that it is against the law to electronically monitor or record a telephone conversation unless both parties on the call consent to it.

It's an interesting question.
In some states (Texas is one), only one party has to know that the phone call is being recorded or monitored. That makes it even more interesting. Throw in laws from other countries and it gets downright entertaining...

PolarBear03
The bear formerly known as aaron8301
Premium Member
join:2005-01-03

PolarBear03 to BuriedCaesar3

Premium Member

to BuriedCaesar3
Oh certainly not!

I don't necessarily believe that they aren't recording the calls, but that they are CLAIMING that they do not. Just like the NSA claims they don't tap anyone's lines without a warrant.