djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to PhoenixDown

Premium Member

to PhoenixDown

Re: Eavesdropping?

Yes, I'm completely comfortable with it. I was fully aware of what AdSense does when I signed up for my gmail account.

I truly don't see what the problem is. You have to have a certain level of trust that Google/gmail isn't doing something nefarious with your email. If they were "bad guys" and mined their email for identity theft purposes, guess what, that has nothing to do with AdSense. Microsoft Hotmail, Comcast, AT&T, etc could theoretically all be quietly mining your email. In fact, there's a high possibility a similar sort of "scanner" is running on every message you receive to try and identify it as spam or virus content. So what's the difference, really?

Same goes for this new "pudding" phone service. Sounds like it could be a lot of fun seeing what sorts of things trigger certain ads. The software "listening" to the conversation doesn't care if I have a racy or intimate conversation. If the idea of some company listening in on your conversations scares you, well, that's fine but the same fear should apply to any telecom company you choose!

I also totally understand if your stomach churns at the idea of yet another ad scheme. The "privacy" argument against it just isn't a good scapegoat. They're clear about what they're doing upfront. If you think it's creepy the answer is simple, don't use the service!
soccerguy9
join:2004-06-28
Seattle, WA

soccerguy9

I think the gist of his post was that it is against the law to electronically monitor or record a telephone conversation unless both parties on the call consent to it.

It's an interesting question.

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium Member
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX

Thespis

Premium Member

quote:
I think the gist of his post was that it is against the law to electronically monitor or record a telephone conversation unless both parties on the call consent to it.

It's an interesting question.
In some states (Texas is one), only one party has to know that the phone call is being recorded or monitored. That makes it even more interesting. Throw in laws from other countries and it gets downright entertaining...