share rss forum feed

Ben
Premium
join:2007-06-17
Glen Carbon, IL

Hmm...

100Mbps symmetrical for $50/mo.?

What I, indeed, have to wonder are a few things:

- Artificial Caps. What are the numbers, if any? This isn't to be confused with technical limits, like a T1 really can only transfer 487GB in a month (full saturation 24/7).

- Reliability. How reliable is such a connection? If it's down half the time then I don't care how fast it is.

- Contracts. What it says. Annual contracts, or month-to-month?

- Equipment. Can you get the equipment when you sign up, or do you have to buy your own? If the latter, what does the equipment cost?

- Availability. Can anyone with the money get this? Or are there geographical limits? For example, FIOS sounds cool, and the rates would even be affordable for me. But I don't care, because I can't get it. The only alternative for similar speed service would be a T3 line, although at least I'd get an awesome SLA.

NOTE: I did read the article. It talks about Hong Kong. What I mean is, can anyone there get the service?

- Restrictions. Are there limits to what you can do? Can I attach a Linux box, make it into an FTP server, and start sharing files? Can I run a website from said box?

- Government Intervention. What did the government do, if anything? I don't buy the argument "But it's a smaller foot-print." The reason I don't is because then all the major metro areas in this country would have such services available. It's why rural areas were the last to get phone service back in the day, and why people even as late as the 1940s used outhouses, again in rural areas.

There's a lot more to an Internet connection than simply speed and the monthly spend.

As far as rural areas, sometimes I wonder if there's any hope. I'm hoping fiber will be the answer, because I remember from a class I took once that the fiber itself is a cheap medium, although the connectors and equipment aren't so cheap. And that fiber can also cover longer distances. It's not like plumbing, where even to this day houses in the middle of nowhere aren't attached to city-wide plumbing. At least alternatives such as water-pumps/wells and septic tanks exist. With Internet access, there's no way around the "line," and the fact it needs to be built out there.